Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 4:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do judo? No seriously if there was a magic fix for this everyone would do it.
    Its part of moving on up. There is no short cut to getting better. Its just spending more time on the matt. Speaking of which how are you even training given that your school doesn't even have a team?

Your going to lose, its part of growing and development and more importantly character development. This is how you build that determination that will get you through the hard **** in life. Stick with it put in the time, get better, get back to winning.

Also did I mention do judo?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 6:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of coaches I've known considered in-season training more or less just maintenance. It's kind the same deal as The Ultimate Fighter: The fighters you see have been training with their own camps for years before they appear on the show, and they only get so much time to train underneath their champion coaches for the tournament. You can definitely make some progress in the months you have (And should try to), but working in the off-season is probably where you'll see the most profound improvement. If you have another year to go, it'd be very prudent to have a good club where you can put your hours in. Along with that, make sure you keep up with the Summer camps that come around and get in a fair deal of tournaments. If things go well, you might have a justifiable reason to raise your expectations for next season.

In the meantime, film your matches so you can go over them later and ask your coaches what they think you should work on.

I actually had a similar experience to you. I started wrestling in my freshman year of highschool and didn't get on varsity until I was a senior. During my time on JV, I won the county tournament twice and even went undefeated in my junior year. Despite the success, I wasn't really making many strides in mastering the art of wrestling. Although I had become really proficient at winning matches against a specific pool of talent (Namely, kids who were only wrestling because they were rejected from basketball), I had several glaring... Deficiencies in my style that would be laughably obvious if I ever posted any of my matches here. Basically, I wrestled with the fluidity of a fat heavyweight despite being a 180-pounder and primarily relied on a handful of goofy junk moves to win (Bear hugs for short kids, rolling front headlock throws for anybody who grabbed my leg. I never took a shot. NEVER).

You can guess what happened when I moved up to varsity and later junior college. Although I didn't get totally creamed on varsity (I had a winning record and scored the most pins out of everybody on my team), college made my realize that I would need to make some drastic improvements if I even wanted to have a modicum of success. Unfortunately, I've only been able to obtain a noticeable degree of finesse since after transferring to a university that doesn't have a wrestling program.

In conclusion, you suck, give up now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 10:15pm

Style: HS Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    What are the people you're training with like?
    Varsity level wrestlers. Most of them won their matches yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    My advice to you is to train with the varsity team, if you can. If you are in a smaller school with a weak or non-existent varsity team, move to another school that has a strong varsity squad. Chances are they also have a stronger Frosh and JV squads as well.

Get into the absolute best physical shape possible. At least you should be able to hang physically with the Varsity level athletes, even if they are better wrestlers (for now at least, right? ). Train up to your physical potential !

If you are getting pinned, watch video of your matches and figure out why. Work on things a step at a time, fixing your flaws/mistakes. Watch video of varsity level and higher wrestlers. Get coaching advice. There is a huge amount of resources out there for wrestling.
    Thanks for the advice. I'm training with the Varsity team, and they've had a positive record so skill-wise, they seem alright. The only thing stopping me from getting videos of my matches is my coach; he has them but says that it's taking a while to upload them to give them to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Very good point for sure. But nowadays (as you know) everybody gets to be a winner ! Right away !

Besides, losing sucks is the common attitude.
    No, I'm completely fine with losing. I've gone into my matches expecting to lose because I know that my opponents have much more experience than me.

The thing I'm not fine with is not learning anything. I feel like at least half of my Varsity matches were a waste of time because they were too quick for me to have worked on many things, and I was often caught in a pinning combination I didn't even understand (and thus did not know how to counter). I'll press on my coach for the videos more.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I agree with Devil, you might want to change your thinking. My kids hate losing, but they love what they are learning and the better competition. They also figure out why they lost and sometimes, the other kid was just better. It makes them work harder.

Oh and that everybody is a winner doesn't fly in my house. There are ZERO participation ribbons or trophies allowed.
    Well there you go. I was just saying how I don't mind losing, just not learning.

I don't have any "participation" ribbons or medals. Those were thrown out years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Your going to lose, its part of growing and development and more importantly character development. This is how you build that determination that will get you through the hard **** in life. Stick with it put in the time, get better, get back to winning.
    Yes sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    In conclusion, you suck, give up now.
    I love Bullshido support. There's no pampering or coddling, just "Man up".

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the advice! I'll work on getting the videos and train even harder at practice.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 10:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    The thing I'm not fine with is not learning anything. I feel like at least half of my Varsity matches were a waste of time because they were too quick for me to have worked on many things, and I was often caught in a pinning combination I didn't even understand (and thus did not know how to counter).
    Ah, but you did rearn. You rearn humirity grashoppa. No such sing as bad resson. Onry bad sturdent.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 11:59am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel like at least half of my Varsity matches were a waste of time because they were too quick for me to have worked on many things, and I was often caught in a pinning combination I didn't even understand (and thus did not know how to counter).
    Waste of time because they were quick? A million other things to say and you pick this phrasing?

Yeah, adjust your thinking.

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 4:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I would suggest that practice is for learning, competition is for applying that learning.

That is not to say your not going to take things away from competition.
    Such as you did this time, you learned that you need to work more. The video may show a big hole in your game plan to work on.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 5:11pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to push yourself past your comfort zone. When I first started competing in sambo and judo, I did extremely well. Ridiculously well. Big throws for ippon, super quick subs, etc etc. Then I started competing overseas... I went from feeling great and accomplished to very small and insignificant.

I've been trying to create the training environment necessary to succeed internationally ever since, which is hard to accomplish in the United States. I do , however, regularly travel to Russia to learn their training methodology for sambo, and I am diligent about implementing it here. I have also recently begun to train with a very high-level international judoka.

Bottom line is that your success is intimately related to your everyday training. If you are not training, eating, sleeping, lifting, and thinking like a high-level champion, then you will never be a high-level champion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 9:32pm

Style: HS Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Waste of time because they were quick? A million other things to say and you pick this phrasing?

Yeah, adjust your thinking.
    Well help me out here, I'm not as old or experienced as you guys. That's why I made this thread to ask for advice.

"Not the most efficient use of my time"? What would you suggest I change it to then?

"I should train harder in practice"? "I got to see some high level wrestling matches"? "I'm gonna lose a lot more, but hopefully not as badly next time"?

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 9:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Well help me out here, I'm not as old or experienced as you guys. That's why I made this thread to ask for advice.

"Not the most efficient use of my time"? What would you suggest I change it to then?

"I should train harder in practice"? "I got to see some high level wrestling matches"? "I'm gonna lose a lot more, but hopefully not as badly next time"?

You now have a more realistic sense of your abilities.

That's really valuable, don't sell that experience short.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 10:42pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    You now have a more realistic sense of your abilities.

That's really valuable, don't sell that experience short.
    Absolutely. You MUST be realistic with yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast