Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 12:08am

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How to conquer the monster known as "Varsity"

Hi guys, I've run into a stumbling block in my training - namely, Varsity level wrestlers.

Frosh/Soph and JV level matches were relatively simple for me, having a record of 12-1 there.

However, I've recently had SIX Varsity matches, and have only won ONE of them, putting me at an pitiful 1-5. 3 losses were pins in the first round, while 2 were pins in the second round. The single win was a lucky lateral I pulled off in the first round.

So I've come here to ask for help from you more experienced grapplers; what can I do to quickly get better and win? (Or at least not get pinned!) I've been thinking, "Train harder, train harder" but there haven't been any noticeable results.

In case you haven't figured out yet, I got pinned again today in the first round with 6 seconds left on the clock. I've just gotten back home, and after some self-reflection, don't feel like I've learned much today.

Pretty disappointed in myself to be honest...

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 4:37am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are the people you're training with like?

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 11:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Hi guys, I've run into a stumbling block in my training - namely, Varsity level wrestlers.

Frosh/Soph and JV level matches were relatively simple for me, having a record of 12-1 there.

However, I've recently had SIX Varsity matches, and have only won ONE of them, putting me at an pitiful 1-5. 3 losses were pins in the first round, while 2 were pins in the second round. The single win was a lucky lateral I pulled off in the first round.

So I've come here to ask for help from you more experienced grapplers; what can I do to quickly get better and win? (Or at least not get pinned!) I've been thinking, "Train harder, train harder" but there haven't been any noticeable results.

In case you haven't figured out yet, I got pinned again today in the first round with 6 seconds left on the clock. I've just gotten back home, and after some self-reflection, don't feel like I've learned much today.

Pretty disappointed in myself to be honest...
    First off, what you are experiencing is pretty common. It happened to me in Judo many years ago. I won a couple of state championships in Texas (collegiate and senior men, not kids), won a lot of medals at regional events, blah blah blah.

Then I started competing at the national level, as in national championships and the (then US Open).

Well, I got my eyes opened. As to I did when I went to train a few times at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. As I did when I finally went to other dojo in Texas and trained with all the black belts who for one reason or another just didn't compete in Texas anymore (basically because of lack of competition, LOL).

Going to varsity level is a step up. Possibly a big step up for you depending on where you go to school, and the background of the wrestlers who have "made varsity".

My advice to you is to train with the varsity team, if you can. If you are in a smaller school with a weak or non-existent varsity team, move to another school that has a strong varsity squad. Chances are they also have a stronger Frosh and JV squads as well.

Get into the absolute best physical shape possible. At least you should be able to hang physically with the Varsity level athletes, even if they are better wrestlers (for now at least, right? ). Train up to your physical potential !

If you are getting pinned, watch video of your matches and figure out why. Work on things a step at a time, fixing your flaws/mistakes. Watch video of varsity level and higher wrestlers. Get coaching advice. There is a huge amount of resources out there for wrestling.

In my case, I did get into top physical condition. I did have limitations in strength relative to a lot of higher level judoka (in the US), though (partly due to genetics, partly due to being a bit younger and not physically mature). My main issue was that I simply was not in a place where I had a large enough variety of training partners to reach my technical potential (which was a bit limited due to starting judo at 17 years of age).

Then I tore my ACL badly. Up until that point I was on the verge of going to college in an area with a LOT of training opportunities, higher level coaches, more competition, etc.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 1:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must find a wayward girl to move into your house.
    Have her catch you sniffing her underwear.
    You must arm-wrestle a cook.

Smash your way to state champs!

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 1:18pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    You must find a wayward girl to move into your house.
    Have her catch you sniffing her underwear.
    You must arm-wrestle a cook.

Smash your way to state champs!
    I think you may have been sniffing to many dirty panties...

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 1:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It didn't work for me to be honest, not that i didn't try.

I realize this is in a technique forum, but i just thought this was funny:

what can I do to quickly get better and win?

Basically, that **** is hard and it takes time.
    Some of those guys have been wrestling since they were 4, you're not gonna beat them overnight.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 2:29pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like you need to adjust your expectations. You are unhappy. Happiness is directly related to the results you get vs. your expectations. It sounds like you expect to win. Why would you expect to win immediately after progressing in your level of competition?

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 2:49pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    It sounds like you need to adjust your expectations. You are unhappy. Happiness is directly related to the results you get vs. your expectations. It sounds like you expect to win. Why would you expect to win immediately after progressing in your level of competition?
    Very good point for sure. But nowadays (as you know) everybody gets to be a winner ! Right away !

Besides, losing sucks is the common attitude.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 3:08pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrestle with better training partners. If you're going against varsity state champs every day in practice, regular matches will be a breeze.

Video analysis. Break down areas where you're getting caught. Work on those areas.

If stronger guys are giving you a hard time, work out with some of the heavier weight guys on your team. If quick guys are giving you a hard time, work out with the lighter and speedier guys.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 3:56pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My kids were doing great as Freshmen wrestlers. They actually had a similar record to you. I was not happy with some things at my old high school and moved them. Competition went waaaaayyyyy up, success against varsity went waaaaaaayyyy down.

I agree with Devil, you might want to change your thinking. My kids hate losing, but they love what they are learning and the better competition. They also figure out why they lost and sometimes, the other kid was just better. It makes them work harder.

Oh and that everybody is a winner doesn't fly in my house. There are ZERO participation ribbons or trophies allowed.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast