• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 3:12am

Style: MMA, Yoga

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah yelling is pointless and more about the coach wanting to appear cool to the crowd than actually helping you. I've had coaches slap me, pull my hair and yell. Not an effective motivational technique. Ice cold water down the pants on the other hand seems to work.

I'm all for 'you need to knock him out', i've had a couple of coaches not tell me i'm losing in the last round. With all that adrenaline dump its sometimes very hard to remember time in a normal flow. I'll remember owning the round then see it on tape as only being 20 seconds. If you dont tell me i'm losing i may take less risks and not go for the finish.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 6:52am

Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I for one always love the advice that people be yelling at me while I am rolling....they may as well just be yelling win the fucking match, cause most of the goddamn time I am already trying to do what they are yelling good job of giving my opponent a heads up.
    That's always been my take on it. If your corner is yelling at you, they are yelling at the other guy too and he knows what you are going to do.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 11:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The machinegun instructions I see at kids' grappling matches is one of my huge pet peeves. I've posted about it before. Sang took the words right out of my mouth. Coaches often do it to look cool.

I've had a purple belt from my son's school who has never even spoken to my kid come to the mat while he was competing to yell instructions at him. My son was in the guard and he starts yelling Kimura, Kimura! Unfortunately, my son hadn't yet been taught the kimura from the guard and had never pulled it off while training.

I've also had a black belt who wasn't my son's regular coach give him terrible advice while competing. He basically coached my son into an ultra conservative match where he had him hanging on for dear life so the other kid wouldn't pass. What he didn't know was that my son has a really nice triangle and the other kid was doing everything he could possibly do to get triangled. My son listened and he layed there pushing the kid's arm away while he was trying to triangle himself.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 11:46am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, I'm confused. Are you guys talking about coaching or are you talking about yelling? Because I coach outside the cage and on the sidelines. A few of my competitors have said they would love to video tape me and the crowd's reaction as I coach. Something about "...comedy gold."

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 11:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The OP was about yelling. I guess I helped to derail the discussion. So solly.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 12:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    The OP was about yelling. I guess I helped to derail the discussion. So solly.
    Sometimes the yelling is an attempt at coaching, so they are related.

I work out key words for my students who compete. They are usually related to time left in the match, and if they are ahead or behind. Most of them are pretty good at keeping up with that. Tactics can change depending score/time left in match. I usually don't have to yell those sorts fo things, because they are trained to hear my voice.

I also yell encouragement, which is different.

Is encouragement coaching ? Hmmm.....

If you yell encouragement, does it negate the coaching (if it is)?

Semantics LOL !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 2:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the corner's yelling is more useful than a hockey-parent shrieking "Shoot! Shooooot!" or a soccer-mom with her "Kick it! Kick the ball!", then it might serve a purpose. How often is it more useful than that?

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 3:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Now, I'm confused. Are you guys talking about coaching or are you talking about yelling? Because I coach outside the cage and on the sidelines. A few of my competitors have said they would love to video tape me and the crowd's reaction as I coach. Something about "...comedy gold."
    Sometimes coaching from the corner is awesome but most of the time I am too busy trying to pay attention to the guy that is trying to choke me out to really be able to even figure out what the hell my corner is even saying.

Then again I really suck.

More to the point really, yelling at me to umpa when I am mounted isn't helpful.

Yelling that the guy is too high up and I can shoot out the back is. Of course on the 2nd one I still have to be able to physically manage to execute whats being yelled at me.
    Last edited by goodlun; 12/12/2013 4:08pm at .

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 11:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    For me it was more about the yelling. Coaching I can handle. And the yelling that is seen as this motivational device. Which I think is low percentage.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 11:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    If the corner's yelling is more useful than a hockey-parent shrieking "Shoot! Shooooot!" or a soccer-mom with her "Kick it! Kick the ball!", then it might serve a purpose. How often is it more useful than that?
    Nah kick the ball is great in a mma match.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast