Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 12:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your corner does not need to yell at you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MWT_21-11-2013_SPORT_01_MWT211113SPfight_t460.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	15665

This is a thing that kind of irked me anyway. But I thought that I was overly sensitive.

But during our fight night and having the discussion with a very experienced cornerman. I have come to the conclusion that this is the norm rather than me being the exeption.

Now I know it seems natural for the corner to start trying to fire up their fighter to better results. Sometimes to a ridiculous degree. (stories of coaches bouncing fighters heads off walls)

But it is not the most sensible approach.

You get one minute to try to rest and reset your mind for the next round. You cannot do that if you are enduring some sort of screaming match with your own team.

If the guy you are fighting who has been punching you has not fired you up being yelled at wont do ****.

Likewise being told in the last round that you have to knock guys out dosen't do much good either.

Otherwise. This is not the UFC you dont have to be there if you don't want to. You are supposed to be having fun.

So corners. No need to yell.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 12/11/2013 12:17am at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 1:53am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of the famously good corner guys in the UFC aren't particularly famous for yelling, are they? Maybe yelling during the round to influence judges, but I can't think of a time that a corner guy in a major event just hollered at their guy and tried to rile them up.

Either way, I agree.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree. If anything they should be getting them less amped up and prime them for thinking tactically.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 12:38pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MWT_21-11-2013_SPORT_01_MWT211113SPfight_t460.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	15665

This is a thing that kind of irked me anyway. But I thought that I was overly sensitive.

But during our fight night and having the discussion with a very experienced cornerman. I have come to the conclusion that this is the norm rather than me being the exeption.

Now I know it seems natural for the corner to start trying to fire up their fighter to better results. Sometimes to a ridiculous degree. (stories of coaches bouncing fighters heads off walls)

But it is not the most sensible approach.

You get one minute to try to rest and reset your mind for the next round. You cannot do that if you are enduring some sort of screaming match with your own team.

If the guy you are fighting who has been punching you has not fired you up being yelled at wont do ****.

Likewise being told in the last round that you have to knock guys out dosen't do much good either.

Otherwise. This is not the UFC you dont have to be there if you don't want to. You are supposed to be having fun.

So corners. No need to yell.
    Ironically I almost never yell at my fighters during a fight.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 4:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Ironically I almost never yell at my fighters during a fight.
    Yeah, if they are properly prepared, there isn't much to yell other than encouragement, if that.

I love judo coaches who are constantly yelling technical advice to their students during matches.

Of course, I'm guilty of doing it myself, LOL, but I try to only do so when absolutely necessary.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 4:42pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Yeah, if they are properly prepared, there isn't much to yell other than encouragement, if that.

I love judo coaches who are constantly yelling technical advice to their students during matches.

Of course, I'm guilty of doing it myself, LOL, but I try to only do so when absolutely necessary.
    In my first competition I was going while my coaches were working with the younger judoka and I will fully admit it sucked. Even if it wouldn't have increased my success it would have been nice to hear a familiar voice encouraging me while I got dropped on my head (literally) repeatedly. But screaming instructions wouldn't have helped me succeed any more than I did I don't think.

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 5:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I for one always love the advice that people be yelling at me while I am rolling....they may as well just be yelling win the fucking match, cause most of the goddamn time I am already trying to do what they are yelling good job of giving my opponent a heads up.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 5:56pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As anyone who has ever tried to move a couch up a flight of stairs knows, the English language is woefully inadequate to the task of describing movement. Advice like "Turn your left arm towards him!" and whatnot is rendered all but useless by it's own multitudinous means of execution.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 6:02pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goodlun, you make an excellent point. I constantly listen to my opponents' coaches. It's a big reason the school I'm going to coaches in Japanese. Less chance the other side will figure out what's going on.

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 7:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    As anyone who has ever tried to move a couch up a flight of stairs knows, the English language is woefully inadequate to the task of describing movement. Advice like "Turn your left arm towards him!" and whatnot is rendered all but useless by it's own multitudinous means of execution.
    "Cut the angle" is my favorite quote in the situation described above. What? WTF am I supposed to do with that?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast