You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    12/13/2013 3:48am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    As Sijo Emerado used to say, "The workout isn't over until I see blood on the floor."
    My coach gives out to us for causing too many blood injuries. I fucking hate blood injuries - I'm the one who usually has to clean the things up.

We train so real there's blood everywhere might sound cool, but trust me, it gets old very quickly if it's really happening regularly.

Posted On:
    12/13/2013 9:44am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    For your information, these guy spar plenty hard.
    Thing is, I feel a certain kinship with them because just like them, I practice two different arts: for fighting, I do arnis. For showboating, I do capoeira. That clip is the capoeira of kenpo.

It's that dichotomy that rankles - yes, there are plenty of legitimate TMA bad-asses, who spar plenty hard, but they don't look like that clip when they spar.

Posted On:
    12/13/2013 10:37am

Style: BJJ/MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I was just talking about nut shots.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2013 12:26pm

Style: Arnis de Mano

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said, I donít want to debate the merits of Kenpo. I trained in Mr. Parkers AK in the early 1980s and have rolled with several guys from the CHA3 Kajukenbo branch back in the 1990s, so I do have some (although limited) knowledge of these arts. At no point in any of my training has an instructor said, throw a right punch and then just stand there while I do a wild flurry with a hard elbow follow-up. As uke, my role was to provide a realistic opponent for the techniques to be completed upon. We always trained that the uke would at least try to block your first counter. When people would ask my teacher what if they donít block? The answer was always Ė then you hit them. The guys in the video have no sense of what the guy they are beating is doing. They assume he is just going to stand there. Itís a long way from the way most Kenpo was trained in the past and a lot closer to the Hargraves of the world.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2013 12:10am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey,

Let's look at Pat's title for the thread. These guys aren't pushing this video as the end all of kempo/kenpo, one/two/three step bs or anything else.

It would have helped if the set up to each combination hadn't been the "I'll throw a punch and stand here while you beat my ass with lighting quick combinations, the likes of which I've never seen, and fall on my ass in gratitude of the lesson", or something like that.

If Pat says these guys spar hard for real, I'm inclined to believe him. Pat's a fucking liberal hippy (not necessarily a bad thing), but one those I respect to give honest opinion on the martial arts. He's also an old ****, so may be going senile.

Kendal, you need to do a check. Even if these men were full time larping, speeding up their video time frame, tossing magic fairy dust and doing crack while banging ninja hookers, they'd still be x1000 on that piece of ****, Carter Hargrave.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2013 10:56pm

Style: Arnis de Mano

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You right Joe, it was unfair to compare them that way. These guys are miles from the GM of BS. My point was that regardless of how good they are, or how hard they spar, people are going to judge the punch and stand aspect of their video.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12