Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 4:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

A funny (I hope) Kenpo video from Utah

The teacher here is Herb Padigimus. Before someone says, Oh yeah, this is OK, but can he fight against resisting opponents? I want to say yes, he can. He does have false teeth because they were punched out thirty some years ago when he was bare knuckle full contact fighting. He and Skip Hancock, who I posted about meeting a master, are the exception to the Ke?po rule.

This is Herb and the boys practicing for a video. It includes a lot of Damn it's, ouches, and sorry's.

"Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 5:42pm

Style: Arnis de Mano

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick, what is the difference between two man drills and working a bag in Kenpo?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 8:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KendalGuro View Post
    Quick, what is the difference between two man drills and working a bag in Kenpo?
    A bag can't put a hand on your shoulder.

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 3:02am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    A bag can't put a hand on your shoulder.
    Lies. You always work the bag in kenpo.
    It just has a tendency to move a bit more in two man drills.

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 9:50am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mullets?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 12:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    The teacher here is Herb Padigimus. Before someone says, Oh yeah, this is OK, but can he fight against resisting opponents? I want to say yes, he can. He does have false teeth because they were punched out thirty some years ago when he was bare knuckle full contact fighting.
    I've met a couple of MA instructors over the years who might have been seven miles of bad road in their younger days, but now either don't include sparring in their class or limit it to light point sparring. Its easier to build up a school that way, keeps the insurance costs down, and makes it easier to teach when you get old without sacrificing the tough guy image. I must say tho, this video has some of the best examples I've ever seen of "stick your fist out while I destroy you" techniques.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 12:34pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That depends on whether or not "working the bag" is a fanciful kempo term for striking the groin.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 3:24pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK fuckers, I thought it was funny because they keep making mistakes and hitting each other with fists and clubs and all you dopes can do is drag up non-resistant dead horse ****. For your information, these guy spar plenty hard. There school is about ten miles from the now defunct AK school in Logan that went full contact (with gear) and to the ground. Odd for AK I guess. There is one AK school (Bobby Lawrence Karate) that is total bullshit - I worked out there one night and it was excruciatingly painful, I refrained from hitting anyone as I didn't want to pop their diapers, but the other two, while true that they do some compliant drills and slap themselves, spar just as hard as Kyokushin. So in Cache Valley Utah of three AK dojos, only one was bullshit.

The Kajukenbo (KSDI) in Honolulu is tough as hell, doing one on ones to five on ones sparring. But they, being a William Chow lineage, look like the same kind of sd drills as in the video. There are pluses and minuses but as Meex told everyone here years ago, go to Prof "Luna" Emperado's Kajukenbo in HI and put your skills to a test. That school differs from most Ke?po in that they don't "teach" sd responses. You get attacked by strikes, sticks, guns, knives or multis and improvise a response. There is no instruction, I guess you learn by having it done to you - but as a bb it was hard to come up with sd responses for an hour or two, fast and hard with only one break.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 5:21pm

Style: Arnis de Mano

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not sure what your point is

When I look at this video all I see are some guys capable of stringing a few techniques together. If thatís their goal then they succeed. Iím not debating the merits of Kenpo as a martial art. What we can discuss is the likelihood of an opponent throwing one punch and then standing there while you beat his ass like a heavy bag. Itís not that the guy isnít resisting, itís that he is just standing there. Heís not even trying. They are forgetting that there are two people in a fight, and that an opponent has two hands. Is any of that going to work if he fights back? What if the attacker in this scenario is trained? What if he is as fast as you? Drills such as these donít prepare you for fighting a trained opponent. All they do is prepare you for a fight with the mythical drunk cowboy who throws a wide haymaker. Itís fantasy with very little basis in reality. Every series they presented would have been devastated by a left counter punch to the right side of the head.

It is funny that they keep hurting themselves and each other, but itís sad they have no control and think what they are doing is quality stuff. They might as well be breaking coconuts; itís about an equal demonstration of martial arts skill.
    Last edited by KendalGuro; 12/12/2013 5:33pm at .

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/13/2013 3:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well all I can say is that it's too bad no one can drop in on Prof Emperado like I did and try and stab the ************ with a knife (ended with his knee on my head while he did a arm bar, real fun... ) , or go check out your sd skills when attacked for an hour or so in a good Ke?po school. It's a different attitude and I am one of the few people on the planet who has trained hard contact Kyokushin and Ke?po, and in different schools and in different states. ****, I've done Ke?po in two schools in Utah and three in Hawaii! There is something to their training and it's too bad that no one here posting will ever experience it, because if you did, you'd have a bit more sympathy and understanding. As Sijo Emerado used to say, "The workout isn't over until I see blood on the floor."

Adriano meant this, seriously. More than 90% of his students dropped out in a week or two. At the higher levels they train really hard and as one instructor said, "A good uke is a resistant uke." I don't care to bother to defend this stuff, their type of training can get weak and compliant and it often has, and it really is too bad that none of you will ever be in Honolulu or go try to **** up some tough old mother fucker like Herb (and that would be hilarious, I have a life time of trying to **** up high ranks and while I've had some sucess, I've also had plenty pain and blood and noses and ribs broken trying)

Here is the guy who it came from in large measure, Prof William "Thunder Bolt" Chow (at age 60):
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 12/13/2013 3:44am at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast