Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 3:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Active jobs would account for much of that i figure.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 3:48pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    I just think it's hilarious when big, athletic people complain that BMI doesn't apply to them.
    Well no ****, that puts one in a very narrow segment of the population.
    One spends hours and hours making sure of it.

Far more often that bulllshit is parroted by some legitimately fat ****.
    "Licensing" comes to mind.

"I'm a Clydesdale!"

No, in most cases you're a fatass.

No comments on the article and study i posted up top?
    Yeah, the CDC is full of **** and the people who adhere to their dogmatic propaganda should be shot.

90% of my members at my gym fall into the overweight and obese category. They are not big strong athletes, they are just average people trying to stay in shape and my workouts are not merciful.
    69 year old works out 2 times a day 4 days a week-over weight
    56 year old works out in boxing and kickboxing hands it to a lot of the young guys-over weight.
    40 year old woman rides horses 7 days per week, kickboxes twice a week-obese
    33 year old works out 3 hours per day dropped 50lbs is still going-morbidly obese
    12 year old girl dead lifts 165lbs, throws adults, works out 5 days per week 1.5 to 2.5 hours per day-morbidly obese.

23 year old female- 105 lbs, can't do one push up, never works out, can barely tolerate a sit up- normal.

The list goes on. Please feel free to take the BMI and shove it up your ass. I'm currently in the middle of a campaign to eliminate this type of requirement from our schools and we have idiots like you adhering to it. Way to go sheep.

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 4:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is your sample is a gym, and it seems like you're cherry picking from that group too.
    Most obese people aren't even stepping into a gym, most "people" aren't.
    Can one be "obese" but healthier than a particular non-obese person?
    Sure, but it seems obvious you're looking at outliers in both cases.

Fatass couch potatoes of the same BMI outnumber people of Scrappers build and capacities by an enormous margin.
    That's why the numbers reflect health costs.

I agree it's a particularly worthless and even detrimental metric for children, but you haven't addressed the health costs of being overweight and obese at all.

I only referenced the CDC for exercise numbers, so i'm not sure what dogma you're addressing.

Do you have any other sources that suggest people are working out more than that?
    That's almost a rhetorical question i guess, i actually thought it seemed high and we work out more than almost anyplace in the country.

I assure you McDs is busier than 24hr.

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 4:04pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whatever the origin, BMI is a tool useful for populations that doesn't translate well to even moderately athletic individuals. When I was marathon training and around 24.5 BMI, no sane person would have looked at me and thought, "gee, he's about 3 lbs shy of being considered overweight". Just the opposite, I was wearing size medium shirts (at 6' tall) and my wife thought I looked way too skinny. I had some people concerned I'd gotten cancer.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 4:12pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is your sample is a gym, and it seems like you're cherry picking from that group too.
    Most obese people aren't even stepping into a gym, most "people" aren't.
    Can one be "obese" but healthier than a particular non-obese person?
    Sure, but it seems obvious you're looking at outliers in both cases.

Fatass couch potatoes of the same BMI outnumber people of Scrappers build and capacities by an enormous margin.
    That's why the numbers reflect health costs.

I agree it's a particularly worthless and even detrimental metric for children, but you haven't addressed the health costs of being overweight and obese at all.

I only referenced the CDC for exercise numbers, so i'm not sure what dogma you're addressing.

Do you have any other sources that suggest people are working out more than that?
    That's almost a rhetorical question i guess, i actually thought it seemed high and we work out more than almost anyplace in the country.

I assure you McDs is busier than 24hr.
    So you missed the part where the BMI was never designed for this and according to a study done in 1974~(off the top of my head) should never be used to diagnose an individual.

*edit: The BMI is also racist.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 4:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    *edit: The BMI is also racist.
    Oh, I'm curious now. Do tell.

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 4:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't take that position.
    I'm only pointing out there are many, many more people of high BMI who will suffer from health consequences as a result, than there are muscly Scrappers and Omegas.

You still haven't addressed that increased weight of even metabolically healthy people is still associated with adverse outcomes.

I agree that BMI has huge limitations, but demonizing BMI itself doesn't address rampant obesity.

I'm guessing i'm in full agreement with your campaign in the schools, that said.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 4:58pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Oh, I'm curious now. Do tell.
    I didn't take that position.
    I'm only pointing out there are many, many more people of high BMI who will suffer from health consequences as a result, than there are muscly Scrappers and Omegas.

You still haven't addressed that increased weight of even metabolically healthy people is still associated with adverse outcomes.

I agree that BMI has huge limitations, but demonizing BMI itself doesn't address rampant obesity.

I'm guessing i'm in full agreement with your campaign in the schools, that said.
    Like I said before 1 doesn't have to do with the other. The BMI was never designed to determine if a person is healthy or not. It is unscientific and should not ever be used for this purpose.

As for the idea of racism that's easy. If a society consist of a certain ethnicity then we can come up with a general idea on what mean would be for that ethnicity. The BMI does not take this into account. You grow up in an area majority of say Filipinos. You are of Norwegian or Germanic decent. In those circumstances you are normal, in a community with predominant Filipinos you are obese. What about Samoans? Certain African decent, Mexican decent (The actual tribes elude me), they throw the "average" or "mean" out the window. Therefore the test discriminates against your ethnic (racial) group if it doesn't conform to the societies average. America is one of the most diverse and admittingly never takes this into consideration amongst various other factors.

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 4:59pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell, I don't even know how it's supposed to apply equally to men and women.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 5:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    As for the idea of racism that's easy. If a society consist of a certain ethnicity then we can come up with a general idea on what mean would be for that ethnicity. The BMI does not take this into account. You grow up in an area majority of say Filipinos. You are of Norwegian or Germanic decent. In those circumstances you are normal, in a community with predominant Filipinos you are obese. What about Samoans? Certain African decent, Mexican decent (The actual tribes elude me), they throw the "average" or "mean" out the window. Therefore the test discriminates against your ethnic (racial) group if it doesn't conform to the societies average. America is one of the most diverse and admittingly never takes this into consideration amongst various other factors.
    I'm sorry, I don't understand. I thought we were all the same except for the color of our skin.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast