Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 1:04pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BMI is a really shitty way to tell whether or not a person is overweight. It was a metric created by insurance companies to calculate premiums across very large numbers of people. Body fat % is a much better metric, and under those guidelines you have never been overweight. People need to stop using BMI as a metric for individuals. Period.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 1:15pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    I'm not really concerned with people who are overweight or borderline obese; BMI is a less-than-perfect standard; but if you're Morbidly Obese by that standard, you're extremely unhealthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamadul View Post
    Last night after getting home from the gym this conversation was still on my mind as I sat down to watch a little netflix. There is a documentary there called "Big as Life: Obesity in America."

Holy cow! I had no idea that most fat people feel the same way as the woman mentioned in the original post. Many of them think that being fat has no negative health consequences and that we are imposing and victimizing them by not accommodating their needs.

One guy even makes the point that we make accommodation for blind people and people in wheelchairs, how is he any different?

It was a hue eye opener for me. I realize now that these people live in a complete state of denial and transfer all of their guilt and shame onto others. They aren't just fat, they are mentally ill as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    BMI is a really shitty way to tell whether or not a person is overweight. It was a metric created by insurance companies to calculate premiums across very large numbers of people. Body fat % is a much better metric, and under those guidelines you have never been overweight. People need to stop using BMI as a metric for individuals. Period.
    Um, no. It was actually created in Belgium to be used to categorize the mean of a society and find out whether a person's body proportions could directly correlate to certain social behaviors.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 1:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh. Interesting. My point still stands though. It's a tool designed to measure this stuff on a very large scale. It just doesn't work for individual people.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 1:51pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My BMI is 33. (5'10.5", 234 lbs)

I am "obese."

I am 35 years old, My body fat % (Tested in September) is 17.5%. I can Deadlift nearly 500lbs, bench 350, and squat 450. My blood pressure is perfect, my resting heart rate is 59. My waist is 38" and my chest is 50".

But I also don't fit that well into stadium seats or compact cars. I cannot buy clothes off the rack. Men's Wearhouse couldn't even re-cut a suit to fit me. You should see the look of anguish on the face of people who realize that I am next to them on a long flight.

While I am not fat, I am still big, and suffer many of the same inequities a fat person does; minus most of the social stigma. And that's the difference. I have CHOSEN to be this size, and reinforced this choice with every protein shake and heavy set in the gym.

The question is: has a fat person CHOSEN to be fat? That is a tough nut to crack in a general fashion. Nobody WANTS to be morbidly obese. But objectively speaking, most of them have either chosen to be, or through inaction, allowed themselves to become, fat. It doesn't feel good to say that, and it didn't fell good to realize that myself when I was a fat guy. (230 at 30+% body fat in 2001).

Being fat sucks. Being fit is unfairly difficult for many people. Genetics will win. I am never going to be on the cover of Men's health. But that's not what Phrost is talking about. He is talking about demanding accommodation for a condition you are responsible for, for the sole purpose of alleviating your own negative feelings.

If the dairy aisle is "triggering" anxiety and depression because of the non-fat products; then the dairy aisle is not the problem!

Adapt. Alter. Or cope. Those are your choices. This is your issue, not a problem for the rest of the world.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 1:57pm

Style: Judo & WTF Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BMI measures how much I weigh in relation to how tall I am. Nothing more, nothing less. There are far better options out there that will tell you a whole lot more, that are still easy to measure.

Waist circumference is probably one of the big ones as this is what generally results in the scenario of people encroaching on other people's seat space. This also gives us one of the base measures we use for the waist to hip ratio, which is used to classify risk of heart disease.

In terms of measuring body fat, dual x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) is considered the gold standard but its expensive and does involve zapping people with minute levels of radiation. So generally we fall back on skinfold testing which really relies on the operators skill. Bioimpedence devices, which you'll generally see in scales are easy to use but can be influenced a lot by hydration levels and preparation factors.

So I guess the debate for me is really around 2 things: Is someone's obesity putting them at risk of bad health outcomes, which is going to cost more in terms of health care. And, is someones physical size creating an issue for me such as on a plane, in a stadium etc. Don't even get me started on trying to cater for these people in a healthcare environment.

I think the real debate that needs to occur is the persecution of anyone with feet bigger than a size 12 by the fashion industry...

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 2:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Obese" fit people are outliers.
    Just look around.
    I argue that BMI is accurate for most of the population, because, well, they ARE fat fucks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 3:00pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    "Obese" fit people are outliers.
    Just look around.
    I argue that BMI is accurate for most of the population, because, well, they ARE fat fucks.
    bwahahahahaahahahahhahahahhaha.

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 3:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, what percentage of the population works out, at all?

I mean look at this, from the CDC:
    Percent of adults 18 years of age and over who met the Physical Activity Guidelines for both aerobic and muscle-strengthening physical activity: 20.6% (2011)
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/exercise.htm

Getting exercise seems to be the exception, being big and doing so logically even more so.

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 3:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just think it's hilarious when big, athletic people complain that BMI doesn't apply to them.
    Well no ****, that puts one in a very narrow segment of the population.
    One spends hours and hours making sure of it.

Far more often that bulllshit is parroted by some legitimately fat ****.
    "Licensing" comes to mind.

"I'm a Clydesdale!"

No, in most cases you're a fatass.

No comments on the article and study i posted up top?

"Compared with metabolically healthy normal-weight individuals, obese persons are at increased risk for adverse long-term outcomes even in the absence of metabolic abnormalities, suggesting that there is no healthy pattern of increased weight."

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 3:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    No comments on the article and study i posted up top?
    I was actually surprised to find that 48.4% of adults satisfied the aerobic guidelines. From looking around, I'd have guessed half that much. Then again, its not just about exercise -- diet is important too.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast