Administrator

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 3:19pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    Some people starve themselves to fit the ideal media image of beauty. Teenage girls in particular are at risk for this. While others disregard both health and physical appearance for the sensual pleasure of putting down a double bacon cheeseburger and large fries.

Oh, no, completely not what I'm talking about.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 3:28pm

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Oh, no, completely not what I'm talking about.
    Ok -- I'll bite.....
    A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools. ― Thucydides

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 3:48pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    Ok -- I'll bite.....
    Not trolling or baiting. I'm just gathering my thoughts-very busy and revisting the thread to take a brain brake.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 3:52pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel Phrost is onto something, but yeah...there is a lot more to this than the article discusses. The basic premise is dead-on though.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 7:31pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A big socio-economic problem here in the USA is the low, low low cost of all the sugars, and the high cost of the fruit and vegetables.

Not only is the education regarding dietary habits piss-poor (I've overheard fat people say that sugar isn't fat so it's good for them...), but the economic incentives which were brought up earlier in this thread, are in the adverse direction.

At my Kroger and Wal-Mart(s), there are no chilled waters to buy at the register; only soda's. Everywhere I go, buying water is more expensive than buying Soda. Even if they're the same price, soda seems to be more 'value' to people (water is just water, cola is water + sugar + cola magic). Same with the vegetables, which, if they even look appetizing, are much more expensive than the $1 pizza's etc. (plus the preparation time that many people who work two jobs cannot afford to 'waste')

I'd say our whole culture is so focused on making people into consumers, that it affects our health in negative ways. The sheer campaign of misinformation about everything from sell-by dates ( differs per state, some have sell-by that are suggestions to retailers, others have use-by, that are suggestions to consumers, etc), to the 'organic' label, to all the fad diets, the nutritional information, the school lunches, advertisement campaigns* etc, serves this purpose, in combination with the huge economic pressures put on people to work so much that it becomes so hard to prepare food (time pressure, being exhausted from work, convenience of no/little cleaning) it becomes evident that this is a sinister campaign to get us all fat.

And then to sell us crazy diets to combat all that fat. And if that doesn't work, you can buy some sort of necessary surgery (or die), after which the cycle begins anew, because no new habits are learned and made their own, it just gets fixed for now.(Also, if you can't afford that surgery it's ok, they'll find a way to get their money).

*Only for processed foods, never just 'drink water' 'eat vegetables', because the lack in profit in the later.

Not sure if any of this really excuses 'Fat Acceptance', it's still bullshit. But I do believe our whole culture has a monetary incentive for (some) people to get fat.

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 7:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, that's some bullshit.

The chic at the dinner table getting upset because her sister lost weight? Talk about some egotistical ****. She stuffs her maw because she's selfish. She's into self gratification to a degree that it's unhealthy.

Then, on top of that, people can't even talk about someone else in her presence without her personally interjecting her issues into the paradigm? That's what I call "self absorbed".

I've been fat too. More than the social stigma I changed it up because I just felt like ****. I don't mean "unpopular" felt like ****. I still hooked up with women who I thought were way out of my league looks wise so insofar as "attraction" went I was still in the game even as a big guy.

But I was sick. My body was falling apart under it's own weight. My joints were bad, my circulation was bad, my breathing was labored and it was only getting worse.

So I switched my routine to a different kind of "selfish". I had to turn it around and I did. After years of lifestyle changes and dedication I'm finally getting to a point where I'm almost to thin for my frame and I need to work out harder to gain muscle mass or I'll look weird again.

I worked hard for this ****. I spent years at it. Sometimes there were setbacks. Illness or times of poor access to healthy foods and unhealthy schedules that set me back months. But I kept at it and I'm proud of what I've accomplished. And it;s not all about me. I like being easy on the eyes to my lady friends. I like that I can give them that. It's only fair right? They look good to me, I wan't to look good for them too.

Most importantly though, I feel good now. I like that. I like not having knee pain just from walking to the fridge. I worked hard for it and I'm not going to apologies to anyone for that "privilege".

Because it's not a privilege to me. It's a reward. It's a reward for beating my deamons. A reward for not letting my own poor habits and self doubt drag me into a miserable life of pain and an early grave (extra wide plot?).

I don't feel guilty. **** that ****. I'm going to keep at it. I'm going to look like a fuckin' sex god. And if fattie don't like it she can suck my dick.

(No, seriously though, fat girls get at me. I'll still bang.)
    Last edited by Mr. Machette; 12/11/2013 7:54pm at .

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 7:52pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not really concerned with people who are overweight or borderline obese; BMI is a less-than-perfect standard; but if you're Morbidly Obese by that standard, you're extremely unhealthy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 10:27am

Style: Judo, Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last night after getting home from the gym this conversation was still on my mind as I sat down to watch a little netflix. There is a documentary there called "Big as Life: Obesity in America."

Holy cow! I had no idea that most fat people feel the same way as the woman mentioned in the original post. Many of them think that being fat has no negative health consequences and that we are imposing and victimizing them by not accommodating their needs.

One guy even makes the point that we make accommodation for blind people and people in wheelchairs, how is he any different?

It was a hue eye opener for me. I realize now that these people live in a complete state of denial and transfer all of their guilt and shame onto others. They aren't just fat, they are mentally ill as well.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know by BMI, I am considered obese (6'3" 255 lbs) I know I am not the picture of health, but I am far from what you would see as obese. They should really be more concerned with body fat, rather than body mass. Scrapper doesn't strike me as obese, in anyway, but I know my dr tells me I should be 180lbs.

Other than that, I agree with Phrost's article.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/12/2013 12:41pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    I'm not really concerned with people who are overweight or borderline obese; BMI is a less-than-perfect standard; but if you're Morbidly Obese by that standard, you're extremely unhealthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamadul View Post
    Last night after getting home from the gym this conversation was still on my mind as I sat down to watch a little netflix. There is a documentary there called "Big as Life: Obesity in America."

Holy cow! I had no idea that most fat people feel the same way as the woman mentioned in the original post. Many of them think that being fat has no negative health consequences and that we are imposing and victimizing them by not accommodating their needs.

One guy even makes the point that we make accommodation for blind people and people in wheelchairs, how is he any different?

It was a hue eye opener for me. I realize now that these people live in a complete state of denial and transfer all of their guilt and shame onto others. They aren't just fat, they are mentally ill as well.
    Dude seriously shut the **** up. I've seen the documentary and it's chalked full of bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    I know by BMI, I am considered obese (6'3" 255 lbs) I know I am not the picture of health, but I am far from what you would see as obese. They should really be more concerned with body fat, rather than body mass. Scrapper doesn't strike me as obese, in anyway, but I know my dr tells me I should be 180lbs.

Other than that, I agree with Phrost's article.

This is the problem I've been debating with. On one hand I know Phrost realizes the difference. There are people that will use any excuse what so ever to say "stop making fun of me."

On the other hand a lot of these "facts" are complete and utter bullshit. It works both ways. People get picked on because they're too skinny. These people could consume 5000 calories a day without gaining a pound. There are people that could look at a Hamburger ad and gain 2 pounds.

Let's take myself as an example of some of the bullshit that's out there. At my peak performance I was a 185 professional fighter.....overweight. I had 11% body fat and considered high risk. That was nearly 15 years ago.

Now I'm 191, 17% body fat...obese. I eat healthier than 90% of the country. I run 3 miles twice a week, yoga 3 times a week (DDP bang!), grappling 6 days per week, and teach work out and martial art classes all week; but I'm at risk of heart disease, diabetes, and stroke......(Despite good blood pressure and great cholesterol)

The guy currently on the tread mill runs the same amount as me, and works out 4 days per week is considered morbidly obese and he's done everything the "experts" have told him to do when it comes to nutrition.

My daughter, and a lot of other children across our country are asked to do the BMI and, if they fail, that their parents are sent a letter home that says they are at a health risk; despite the fact that there are no actual studies that state what size a child really needs to be. Why? Because it's impossible.

So yeah, I have mixed feelings about this subject.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast