Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 5:15pm

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm all in favor of more social condemnation of obesity. But my main concern is that I not pay for the economic fallout of other's people's bad choices and Fat Shaming, satisfactory as it may be, doesn't quite do it.

I'm usually not one to advocate the Nanny State, but I'd be happy to see surcharges imposed for certain kinds of foods with high caloric content and low nutritional value, for plus-sized clothing, for use of public transportation by the obese, increased insurance rates on a sliding scale -- in other words, economic incentives and punishments. Maybe even extending the concept of child abuse more clearly to include deliberately inducing obesity in one's own children.

And if your 3x butt doesn't fit in the seat, you can either pay triple fare or walk.
    A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools. ― Thucydides

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 12:28pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the hell is with the use of the word "triggered" in the first few excerpts? Is this some attempt to come up with a clinical sounding word for "butt hurt"?

One of the defining characteristics of a cult is the use of made up jargon. This is sounding very cult-like.

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 1:08pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahuyuddha View Post
    What the hell is with the use of the word "triggered" in the first few excerpts? Is this some attempt to come up with a clinical sounding word for "butt hurt"?

One of the defining characteristics of a cult is the use of made up jargon. This is sounding very cult-like.
    Yes, that's pretty much it - something that 'triggers' a severe negative emotional response. These people are likening things that make them feel ashamed of themselves for how veterans with PTSD feel when they return from war.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 1:35pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yes, that's pretty much it - something that 'triggers' a severe negative emotional response. These people are likening things that make them feel ashamed of themselves for how veterans with PTSD feel when they return from war.
    So "triggered" is an actual Clinical term in the context of PTSD, and these people are coopting it for their fat cult? Great.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 1:44pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have mixed feelings about this because most of the time we are using two different standards for categorizing individuals. The standard measurement to measure whether a person is fat is not the same standard one uses to designate if they're overweight or obese. I'm debating how badly I want to debate that here considering that neither is truly being addressed.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 2:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this because most of the time we are using two different standards for categorizing individuals. The standard measurement to measure whether a person is fat is not the same standard one uses to designate if they're overweight or obese. I'm debating how badly I want to debate that here considering that neither is truly being addressed.
    There are a number of fine points that can be debated re this article. It also occurred to me that not every overweight individual is in control of his health -- like children, for instance -- and that social or economic reaction should take that into account. But what I took to be the basic message is a sound one, that we reconsider the political correctness of making excuses for overweight individuals, and stop aaccomodating them at society's expense.
    A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools. ― Thucydides

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 2:49pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    There are a number of fine points that can be debated re this article. It also occurred to me that not every overweight individual is in control of his health -- like children, for instance -- and that social or economic reaction should take that into account. But what I took to be the basic message is a sound one, that we reconsider the political correctness of making excuses for overweight individuals, and stop aaccomodating them at society's expense.
    Again we're mixing two different ideas here. I understand what you are saying and the basic spirit of the article. Unfortunately it's not really exposing the true ignorance of the modern world culture.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 2:56pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately it's not really exposing the true ignorance of the modern world culture.
    That some of us sacrifice health for physical appearance, while others go the opposite route and do so for sensual gratification?

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 3:03pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    That some of us sacrifice health for physical appearance, while others go the opposite route and do so for sensual gratification?
    Can you give me some examples, as I'm not 100% clear what you're saying?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 3:12pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you give me some examples, as I'm not 100% clear what you're saying?
    Some people starve themselves to fit the ideal media image of beauty. Teenage girls in particular are at risk for this. While others disregard both health and physical appearance for the sensual pleasure of putting down a double bacon cheeseburger and large fries.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast