Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    1/02/2014 8:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are voices out there that want you to think this is about two people tilting at a big windmill; it's not. For those of you out there reading this who attend their events, I want to ask you something: I want you to think through and estimate how much cash is collected during Mundials and Pan Ams; not money, cash. Then I want you to think about whether you have ever seen a Brinks truck there at the end of the day picking it up. And remember, there were years where their events were cash only. You know how much they charge, and you know how many people compete, and you know how many seats they sell tickets for. Do the math, and ask yourself where that massive pile of $20's goes... to the bank in duffel bags? Nope, that'd be an instant suspicious activity report.

If the reports that they are under investigation by the State of California for money laundering turn out to be true, I suspect this sort of thing will be the reason for it.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2014 3:36pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If a black belt or instructors said eff this, dissociated themselves completely from the IBJJF and its affiliates and still wanted to compete on the international scene, what would their options be?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2014 5:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most tournaments are international. You can go fight black belts from all over the world at your local NAGA for 100 bucks. Mexico, Brazil, wherever. They'll mail you a big ass trophy if you win too. No cash prizes though.

Now, if its "prestige" you're after, or perhaps cash, check out the Abu Dhabi World Pro Cup tournaments. I went there, entered a student, and had no trouble at all. She was allowed to fight for cash prizes and foreign trips without issue. It was basically the same set up and competitors as the IBJJF, but without the bullshit. Though thats not to say that the IBJJF will left you fight for cash. For the most part they won't, but the sheiks are good for it.

Alternatively, Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling also lets you fight for foreign trips and loads of cash against the best guys. They'll break your legs, but still...

Then you have Grapplers Quest that also lets you sign up and compete against the best guys while giving away cash prizes.

Pretty much all the tournaments are run without this foolishness and with enough talent to keep you busy for a decade or so. On the other hand, the IBJJF DOES have a good marketing department and the hype is fun, so its a unique experience. You'll fight the same guys, but its glossy as all hell.

It should also be noted that there is actually no such thing as "No-Gi BJJ". That whole martial art was fabricated in 2007. The original No Gi Tournament was ADCC in terms of prestige. The IBJJF banned the heel hook and created no gi worlds in 2007. Then with the belt registration system, IBJJF banned every other style from the No Gi BJJ tournaments.
    Last edited by The Villain; 1/06/2014 5:09pm at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2014 5:26pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone remember this incident? Before she landed a job with the IBJJF, this is what they did to Hillary with her membership.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hillary.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	15782  

Last edited by The Villain; 1/06/2014 5:54pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/06/2014 5:54pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
    Most tournaments are international. You can go fight black belts from all over the world at your local NAGA for 100 bucks. Mexico, Brazil, wherever. They'll mail you a big ass trophy if you win too. No cash prizes though.

Now, if its "prestige" you're after, or perhaps cash, check out the Abu Dhabi World Pro Cup tournaments. I went there, entered a student, and had no trouble at all. She was allowed to fight for cash prizes and foreign trips without issue. It was basically the same set up and competitors as the IBJJF, but without the bullshit. Though thats not to say that the IBJJF will left you fight for cash. For the most part they won't, but the sheiks are good for it.

Alternatively, Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling also lets you fight for foreign trips and loads of cash against the best guys. They'll break your legs, but still...

Then you have Grapplers Quest that also lets you sign up and compete against the best guys while giving away cash prizes.

Pretty much all the tournaments are run without this foolishness and with enough talent to keep you busy for a decade or so. On the other hand, the IBJJF DOES have a good marketing department and the hype is fun, so its a unique experience. You'll fight the same guys, but its glossy as all hell.

It should also be noted that there is actually no such thing as "No-Gi BJJ". That whole martial art was fabricated in 2007. The original No Gi Tournament was ADCC in terms of prestige. The IBJJF banned the heel hook and created no gi worlds in 2007. Then with the belt registration system, IBJJF banned every other style from the No Gi BJJ tournaments.
    Okay, much more in depth than what I was going to say but quoted for truth.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/06/2014 6:09pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curious what happened to the people from the last thread? The people that told you to avoid talking about certain things.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2014 6:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I'm curious what happened to the people from the last thread? The people that told you to avoid talking about certain things.
    Could you be more specific?

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/10/2014 6:17pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
    Could you be more specific?
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121603
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121552

Some, not all, of the posters in the above threads.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2014 2:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They spoke without researching or understanding the allegations or the situation. The evidence that we have points to white collar crime on a global scale. After the article was published in Eastern Europe, former conspirators stepped forwards revealing the details of the operation.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/11/2014 2:13pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes and that's my point. I'd like their opinion now that more of the information is collated, researched and presented.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast