Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 9:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Novice Sub Grappler

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The IBJJF does not maintain a physical address or listed telephone, despite renting virtual office space for rules and bracketing meetings. Many association heads who have attended these meetings erroneously believe that these offices are maintained year round when they are vacant.

The address on their website leads to a vacant suite in Irvine; checking the address on the membership and gym affiliation forms is a better idea because it HAS to be current for them to register people, right? That looks like a real address but it's really just this place offering "real" street addresses to people who want to appear to have a brick and mortar address. A jumbo box will cost you $28.43 a month

This is what's there:

OK, so the forms are going to a commercial mail-drop, big deal. If we expand our search a little we're bound to find the awesomely appointed offices of the USBJJF somewhere. Looking up the official address registered with the California Secretary of State for their business license we find an address (next to the vacant office space listed on their website) that currently houses a commercial industrial supply company called Surebond California.

Every address they provide on their website leads nowhere, whether it's in the CONTACT section or on a registration form; even the address registered with the state on their business license leads nowhere. There is a physical location rented a few times a year for meetings, and there is a cellphone number that association heads are given, but you and I (and the CA Secretary of State) may not know the details, apparently.

Sources put the meeting room at:

17845 Sky Park Circle, suite F
    Irvine, CA 92614 - USA

Try googling that.

This is a suite that can be rented on a per use basis. It has been used to host people like Caio Terra, Lloyd Irvin, the Mendes Bros, Andre Galvao, Jacare, Fabio Gurgel, Leo Viera, and Rodrigo Cavaca, without (apparently) informing any of them that these offices are vacated by the IBJJF at the end of the day.

I called the current occupant of Suite C (Zeroez carpet cleaning) and they confirmed that F is vacant.

USA Wrestling has a staffed front office and a phone number; USA Judo has a staffed front office and a phone number, even the dinky little FJJ-Rio has a staffed front office and a telephone. And of course the CBJJ has the same. Why should the USBJJF be any different?

This is a multi-million dollar entrerprise. They can afford a staffed front office and a telephone. And not secret telephone that's personal and inappropriate for the public to call. That doesn't sound like an organizational telephone number, that sounds like M√°rcio Feitosa's personal cell phone.

Question: if there is no permanent front office, where is all the paperwork people have submitted (with their personal info) over the years, in someone's apartment? Where is your credit card information, on a hard drive in someone's living room being looked over by the babysitter? I don't think I need to go on.

The "United States Jiu-Jitsu Federation" trademarked in 2008 shows an address at 23 Spectrum Pointe Drive suite 205 Lake Forest, California. This is the location of the original Gracie Barra USA gym moved to after James Liu kicked them out of his academy in 2005.

It's inappropriate for an organization like the USBJJF to collect substantial amounts of money from people, and not spend enough of it providing them basic services like a listed phone number they can call, or a permanent address they can visit. The CBJJ provides all these services to the people of Brazil because the government of Brazil requires that they serve the people participating in the sport they are sanctioned to represent. Same holds for the CBJJE, the FJJ-Rio, and all the other FJJ's. They don't do it to be like Judo, or Wrestling; they do it because people need to call, and people need to walk in and take care of business. The CBJJ recommends being prepared to wait when you visit their headquarters, as there is usually a line of people waiting to sort out one thing or another.

Suggested reading: http://www.connectionrio.com/2012/11...-janeiro-cbjj/

If one does business with the IBJJF using a credit card (a practice I do not recommend), the following information will show on your statement: US jiu-jitsu federation (949) 678-1289

That number has been disconnected.

I contacted Lloyd Irvin to confirm that he has been in the IBJJF offices before, and he confirmed that "yes it is there full time office, fully laid out with offices, computers, desk everything. I do not have a number for the office." I asked him if this was the Sky Park Circle address and he said he didn't have it in his GPS any more.

It's pretty clear that both he (and others) think the office is full-time, so I decided to double check my information that the office is empty. The property management company Koll Associates provides this listing on the property

http://www.showcase.com/property/178...ifornia/282362

which describes suite F as "vacant", and gives (949) 261-2499 as their (Koll's) contact number. I called and spoke with the secretary there and she confirmed that there is no one there and inquired after my renting it.

Now, I really believe the gym owners who have been given the impression that the office is a full-time affair, and I can not understand why anyone would bother giving them that impression when it is not true. The property in question costs $21,735/yr to rent, which is a tiny fraction of what the tournaments bracketed there take in. Why anyone would want to give prominent team leaders the false impression of a permanent office escapes me.

Crunching the numbers on Pan Am and Mundials registration and ticket sales indicates that at approx $800,000 is grossed from these two events alone.

(note: this is a consolidation of information I posted elsewhere in September)
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 12/20/2013 10:12pm at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/22/2013 12:19pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since this report has come out other forums and social media have picked up on it. Others are coming out and sharing their respective stories. One such story, which Bullshido has not verified all sources, stated the following:

A black belt friend promoted me and said sorry man Iím not IBJJF so you have to find someone to sign. I spoke to another friend and he told me he had that problem and had to pay a guy for the signature. He sent me to a very well-known guy and the guy told me ok man just give me $400 and I will handle it all then he later said oh actually Iím not IBJJF anymore so you have to pay my instructor and additional $400 . I told him that this was bullshit and I got ripped off. Later another friend gave me the signature I needed for free to help me because he knows I put my time in and my students deserved the chance to compete in the big ones since they were beating everyone in the small tournaments . It was hell for me and very sad that things are going this way. I sent a total of 42 emails to the IBJJF. They finally approved my rank after I sent them my money; they never checked any of the signatures I sent them.

IBJJF is a bully organization making us good people out here suffer and have to resort to this ****. I care greatly for my students so I pushed and found a way. Also for the record there are well known guys in Gracie Barra that are trying to get their black belts to open under their names and charge them for seminars and so on to make a fast buck . No seminar means no stripes no help from home and they threaten you by telling you they will send a well-known guy to open next to you and shut you down.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2013 2:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the rules of the IBJJF, under the direction of Carlos Gracie Jr, is written a very important clause; "All juvenile, brown and black belts must be properly affiliated for the current year." What does "proper affiliation" mean?

One thing that often escapes notice of anyone not involved with Brazilian Jiujtsu's business side, is that "lineage", "affiliation", and "association" are not terms related to the martial art of Brazilian Jiujitsu, but are, instead, veiled business terms. A standard affiliation package works as follows. The following example is taken directly from an affiliation package. The document is available to investigators upon request. It is not publicly posted to avoid damaging the reputation of said affiliation. They're simply selling their product at the market rate.

After detailing the history of the organization, the package introduces fees by square miles around the academy. $2,500, $3,500, and $4,500 annual packages are all available. For the head instructor to visit costs an additional $2,500. Members of the association are only allowed to sell merchandise with the affiliation logo on it and may not engage in marketing with their gym owners or management teams. Keep in mind that this is a MANDATORY arrangement for instructors.

As you can see, the fees range into the thousands of dollars. Now, in addition to the fees, there are several other clauses in these contracts to which instructors may reasonably object, most notably the loss or alteration of the business name. If you're working closely with a fight team or a gym, you may wish to display the name of that business. After all, they cut the checks. This is prohibited under affiliation, the best possible deal under the IBJJF being a dual name scheme.

It is also easy to lose your entire business under affiliation. Let's take a look at an IBJJF affiliation deal gone horribly wrong. Here, head instructor Julius Park is completely removed from the IBJJF forms regarding the school at which he instructs. Instead the association head is listed as the sole instructor. Whether or not Crazy 88 ever intended to leave Team Lloyd Irvin is unknown to me. What is known to me is that even if they wanted to, according to the IBJJF documents, they cannot leave.

Now, you're probably thinking that these things are anomalies, and are not condoned by the IBJJF. Lets take a look at how the head off the IBJJF, Carlos Gracie Jr., runs his personal association, Gracie Barra. And yes, you read that correctly. Carlos Gracie Jr, head of the IBJJF, mandates associations for rank and competition, and it just so happens that Carlos Gracie Jr., head of Gracie Barra, has one for sale.

At some point in 2012, changes were made to the affiliation deals involved with Gracie Barra. While the contract was not made public, the reactions were not positive. A $13,000 per month quota, a $100 buyback on all branded merchandise, and the infamous "death clause" were all bones of contention. The so-called "death clause" involved surrendering the dojo upon death, to Gracie Barra. According to sources within the Gracie family, these issues and related incidents have come to head in a $100,000,000 class-action lawsuit.

The fact that the same individual mandates associations in one capacity and then sells them in another, is in and of itself, a cause for concern. If the system works as it is designed, any instructor wishing to compete in the IBJJF is at great risk of losing their assets. If you do not wish to sign such contracts, you are then banned from the IBJJF, which takes you out of the world championships and strips you of your rank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lloydimage.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	15719  

Last edited by The Villain; 12/26/2013 2:57pm at .

Posted On:
    12/27/2013 8:23am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If that screencap is hard to read, it shows how anyone from Team Crazy 88 wishing to register with the IBJJF has to do so under Lloyd Irvin, and not their instructor Julius Park. To the IBJJF, TC88 essentially belongs to Irvin, whether any of the students there have ever met him or not; whether they know him, respect him, have learned anything from him, wish to disassociate from him, or not. That is the association system right there. It's simply a business construct which anyone with sufficient money can buy into. Like Dunkin Donuts.

Remember that BJJ is an individual sport, and that your "team" is simply a reflection of the direction your money flows, and not something that has to do with the matches you fight in any meaningful way.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 12/27/2013 8:31am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2013 10:44am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope this is a relevant post because it's a question about the investigation. Are these practices carried out internationally and will this report cover that? It's bad enough that it happens in the US but I was just wondering.

Posted On:
    12/27/2013 11:10am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cereus View Post
    I hope this is a relevant post because it's a question about the investigation. Are these practices carried out internationally and will this report cover that? It's bad enough that it happens in the US but I was just wondering.
    Yes, it does take place on an international scale, and we will be covering it in detail. I will ask the Villain to start posting some of that as soon as it's ready.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2013 9:16pm

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Matt.

Tried to send you a private message re this thread. It said your mail box is full.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/27/2013 9:49pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As promised, here is our report on Europe. This information was compiled independently by another Bully. The unedited files are in the hands of It Is Fake.

A board member of a BJJ Federation representing a European country details his experience regarding the IBJJF and affiliation.

1. Brazilian instructors are withholding the second degree ranks to control affiliates
    2. Competitors are unable to represent their teams under the rules of affiliation, despite a desire to do so.
    3. Without legitimate rankings, some are taking advantage and seeking to progress in rank during the confusion.
    4. Some who have legitimately progressed go unrecognized.
    5. Black belt promotions are double charged by the IBJJF. Once to the instructor (renew registration for $300), once to the student (black belt fee at $400).
    6. $10 per year per student is what a club in his country pays for membership and insurance. The IBJJF demanded six times that amount and did not offer insurance.
    7. Second degree black belt members of the local IBJJF association can not promote students in their own clubs, even to blue, and must send them elsewhere for ranking. This is in spite of the stated policy. Many in this country have lost control of their dojos in this manner.

That's whats happening in just one country.

Posted On:
    12/27/2013 10:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to be clear: the IBJJF is seeking $60 per student per year from every affiliated gym in the country, from a country with over ten million inhabitants. If one person in 1000 does BJJ, that's half a million dollars a year from the gyms of just one EU member nation. There are currently over 500 million people living in the EU. Do the math
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 12/27/2013 10:30pm at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/27/2013 10:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are approximately 50 black belts in the country. If each only had a dozen students, thats $36,000 a year for absolutely nothing. The country's Federation as a whole rejected IBJJF membership for that reason.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast