Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/17/2013 4:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bjj/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So this is disturbing on many levels, but not so on others.

1. I know that people get inflated rank all of the time through the IBJJF or whatever federation they are affiliated with. My instructor know guys who were brown belts when he got his black and now are 2 degrees ahead of him.

2. I have seen that IBJJF now requires 400 for a black belt certificate signed off by a 4th degree black belt, then they charge for stripes there after. They assign degrees after given time all of which I think is fine.

3. I know for a fact the instructor trad has been going on since at least the 90's. My instructor was brought here by a Gracie, was told that the power bill in the apartment he shared was $400 a month in 1994 and then when he figured out he was being screwed he was threatened with immigration and told he wasn't a black belt. He didn't get his certificate till 1996 so the IBJJF doesn't recognize 4 years of being a BB and he should be a 5th not a 4th. Further more when he went to the IBJJF to try to fix this they wanted pictures from tournaments. That seems like reasonable request now but this would have been from the 80's in Rio.

4. The real problem is this, there are way too many voices and way too many egos. There needs to be 1 not for profit ruling body that sticks to a certain set of rules. There is a lot of fuckery, but that is in all sports and ruling bodies. But as much as I love the Gracies and what they have done for martial arts they are mainly about getting paid, which everyone should be. However when you let it influence how you view the world sue your brothers over names, hold secret tests and bunch of the other crazy things that go with no one checking you these things will happen. When you get a blue belt online **** is down hill from there.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    12/17/2013 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vkirk91 View Post
    My instructor was brought here by a Gracie, was told that the power bill in the apartment he shared was $400 a month in 1994 and then when he figured out he was being screwed he was threatened with immigration and told he wasn't a black belt
    Write this down, folks.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Posted On:
    12/17/2013 5:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The CBJJ logo as it appeared before and after the folding of Carlson, Jr's IBJJF

Name:  barraTopo_zps96dd9c57.gif
Views: 2326
Size:  2.1 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barraTopo-1_zps2dfb1d22.gif 
Views:	72 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	15689

Posted On:
    12/18/2013 8:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One wonders why Carlos, Jr bothered to use the name of his nephew's (Carlson, Jr) organization at all. After all the corporations behind them have different names (International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation, Inc for Carlson; US Jiu-Jitsu Federation, Inc for Carlos). Moreover, IBJJF 1.0 issued BJJ rank (and rank paper) to hundreds of individuals who now had sanctioned rank from a body called the International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation owned by a person with a nearly identical name to Carlos Gracie, Jr. In fact the similarity between all the names involved led many people to not even notice that there had been more than one IBJJF in first place.

Again, why not simply use a different name for the second organization. Well, it turns out that that specific name has some very important connotations.

The legitimate world governing body for the sport of boxing is called the International Boxing Federation; The legit world governing body for Judo is called the Internatiional Judo Federation; as is the case for Aikido, Kendo, Sumo, and Wushu. Sambo is governed by FIAS: Federation Internationale de Sambo, which is translated on their website as International Sambo Federation; Savate is regulated by Federation Internationale de Savate. Wrestling's governing body is FILA (Federation Internationale de luttes Associees)

As I am sure you can see, "International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation" is not just any name. It is, in fact, the precise name one would expect for the world governing body of a sport called "Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu", with the "IBJJF" sitting on equal footing with the IJF, IBF, IKF, IWF, ISF, etc.

If you want to cultivate the impression that you are the legit WGB for BJJ, "International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation" is the name you want to use. Either that or the French (Fdration internationale Jiu-Jitsu Brsilien). In any case, whether the name passed from Carlson to Carlos in an agreeable manner (as in a purchase) or Carlos simply swiped the brand is not yet known, but the impression of a single world governing body for a sport called BJJ, whose history stretches back to 1997 (rather than 2006) is firmly and falsely planted in the minds of the martial arts community. The IBJJF governs as if it were actually the WGB on the foundation of this name.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 12/18/2013 8:29am at .

Posted On:
    12/18/2013 8:48am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The specific data linking the ownership of International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation, Inc to convicted drug traffickers:

Business Registration | Florida (Home State)
    Florida Dept. of State
    Business Registration
    Business Name: INTERNATIONAL BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU FEDERATION INC.
    Business Type: For-Profit Corporation
    Citizenship: Domestic
    Business Address: 1420 ALTON ROAD
    MIAMI BEACH, FL 33139
    SoS Filing Status: Involuntary Dissolution by SOC
    SoS ID: P97000046296
    Formation Date: 05/27/1997
    State of Incorporation: FL
    Officers | Florida (Home State)
    Florida Dept. of State
    Name Title Address
    MARCELO SILVEIRA D

MARCUS SILVEIRA D
    INTERNATIONAL BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU FEDERATION INC.
    1420 ALTON ROAD | MIAMI BEACH | FL | 33139
    MARCELO SILVEIRA | MARCUS SILVEIRA

http://www.wysk.com/index/florida/mi...on-inc/profile

http://www.wysk.com/index/florida/mi...n-inc/officers

Here is the text of the (PPV) Miami Herald article detailing the busting of the Silveira drug ring

Drug agents arrest 15 people suspected of trafficking Ecstasy
    BY JUSTIN WILLETT AND LARRY LEBOWITZ
    jwillett@herald.com

SUSPECTED TRAFFICKERS BUSTED: DEA agents busted a ring of suspected drug traffickers Friday. More than 70,000 tablets of the party drug Ecstasy and $500,000 in assets were seized. Marcus ‘Conan’ Silveira, who participated in amateur fighting competitions, was arrested. NURI VALLBONA/HERALD STAFF

Federal agents on Friday arrested 15 people who they said were members of a smuggling ring that imported one million pills of the party drug Ecstasy into Miami from Spain between Nov. 2000 and July 2001.

The defendants, who include a Brazilian amateur fighter, a bail bondsman and a man who was expecting to finalize his U.S. citizenship when he was arrested Friday, were among 19 named in a federal indictment that was unsealed Friday. Authorities expect two more defendants to surrender. Two remain at large.

Joe Kilmer, a U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration special agent, said the Miami Beach-based smuggling ring was a major supplier of Ecstasy, a pyschoactive drug with stimulant and hallucinogenic qualities that is known for making people feel warm and friendly.

”The agents feel like they identified an extremely close-knit and well-run organization,” Kilmer said. “To move one million pills is a lot. To move one million pills two years ago in less than a year is major.”

The case, dubbed Operation Spanish Fly, began in May 2001 when U.S. marshals arrested Eduardo Triana, 31, in Kendall for allegedly failing to appear in a 1998 DEA cocaine case out of Tampa and found 4,000 tablets of Ecstasy. Triana is serving 6 ½ years in prison.

Two months later, the marshals picked up another DEA fugitive and codefendant in the Tampa cocaine case, Edward J. Diaz, 33, at a Miami Beach condominium.

At Diaz’s condo, which turned out to be the hub of the Ecstasy ring, agents discovered ”quite detailed” ledgers that laid out the Ecstasy courier and distribution network, Kilmer said.

Diaz pleaded guilty June 13 but has not been sentenced.

DEA got help identifying the travel records of couriers identified in the ledgers from the old U.S. Customs Service.

The suspects, who are of Spanish, Brazilian and Cuban extraction, picked up the pills in Madrid, then smuggled them into the country using custom-made Neoprene body wraps secured to their ankles, thighs or torsos.

All of the people named in the indictment are charged with conspiracy to import Ecstasy, possession with intent to distribute Ecstasy and money laundering. They could each face up to 20 years in prison. All are from Miami-Dade or Broward County.

Among those arrested was Marcus Silveira, also known as ”Conan,” a six-foot three-inch, 242-pound amateur fighting participant. His Brazilian ju-jitsu style has earned him a record of 5-4-0, according to Sherdog.com, a Website that tracks mixed martial arts fighters.

Another defendant, Larry Hector Jimenez, was duped into coming to DEA headquarters by immigration officials, who told him he needed to sign papers finalizing his citizenship application. Instead of a naturalization ceremony, Jimenez was handcuffed.

All of the defendants will make appearances Monday in front of a federal magistrate.

The other defendants include: Miami bail bondsman Sandro Deandrade, plus Jose Garcia, Jorge Ramos, Joseph Diaz, Eugenio Jimenez, Carlos Cardenas, Filiberto Casanova, Rovaldo Calero, Marcelo Da Silveira, Angel Gonzalez, Juan Alberto Morales, Luis Torres Correa, Alejandro Morilla, Orlando Imbert Marrero, Seriocha Arroyo Roman, Beatriz Marrero and Rosa Lasserre Sanchez.

===

The article details their arrest; the eventual convictions are in the public record but not the newspaper article.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 12/18/2013 8:58am at .

Posted On:
    12/18/2013 9:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Several people have asked if the IBJJF in it's original form was an accepted governing body by the community. From BJJ.org:

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2013 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To reiterate for people as slow as myself, that is the original, now defunct IBJJF, and not the current IBJJF?
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Posted On:
    12/18/2013 10:56am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    To reiterate for people as slow as myself, that is the original, now defunct IBJJF, and not the current IBJJF?
    Yes, that screencap is from bjj.org as it appeared in 1999 and says CARLSON, Jr not CARLOS, Jr.

To clarify your comment, it is International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation, Inc that is defunct. It is not known if the entity known as the IBJJF in 1999, and the entity which uses that name today (incorporated as US Jiu-Jitsu Federation, Inc) are one and the same, as would be the case if Carlson, Jr sold it to Carlos, Jr.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 12/18/2013 11:02am at .

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 6:40pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Migliarese and Magalhaes confirm it

These files, taken from the facebook wall of IBJJF world champion Phil Migliarese show that the issues raised here (and quoted in the BJJEE article) are confirmed at the highest level of the sport.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	confirm3.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	15700  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	confirm2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	3.1 KB 
ID:	15701  

Attached Images  

Posted On:
    12/20/2013 8:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For some reason the order of the screencaps above is reversed.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast