Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Affiliation: Conspiracy Theory or BJJ Business Structure?

This thread will examine "affiliation" as it relates to Brazilian Jiujitsu (and related arts). I will present the costs involved, it's effect on rank, it's effect on BJJ championships, it's effects on immigration and who this system does and does not apply to. I will be using ONLY primary source documents.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is an example of a BJJ affiliation package:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/235553400...acket-Rev-0811

I'm only doing primary documents for the first several posts, so I'll let the readers peruse i for themselves.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
    This is an example of a BJJ affiliation package:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/235553400...acket-Rev-0811

I'm only doing primary documents for the first several posts, so I'll let the readers peruse i for themselves.
    So $250/mo + $1000 worth of merchandise to be a Jean Jacques affiliate.
    Doesn't seem to unreasonable to me. Especially if your close enough to travel to Tarzana, California 91356.

Do you have any primary sources that suggest that this fast tracks you for a Black Belt under Jean Jacques?
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm suggesting nothing. I'm posting primary source documents relating to affiliation. Suggesting is for YMAS, this is MABS.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm suggesting nothing. I'm posting primary source documents relating to affiliation. Suggesting is for YMAS, this is MABS.
    So should I conclude that your link to JJM affiliate program is simply to provide an example of what an affiliation is and that you are not making any particular statement about it?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. I'm going to make a statement and draw a conclusion, but before I speak on it, I want the reader to get a relatively uninterrupted and unbiased view of what affiliation is, in the words of those selling the affiliations.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it might be useful to compare how these arrangements are done (or not done) in other similar sports, in order to see if BJJ is typical, atypical or if there is in fact no such thing as a typical arrangement.

judo would be interesting as there are no dojo affiliations AFAIK but there are requirements to join an NGB. i am not sure about TKD, as far as affiliations go, but others will know for sure. wrestling is mostly done in schools, but how does qualification work for nationals, worlds and olympics?
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    judo would be interesting as there are no dojo affiliations AFAIK but there are requirements to join an NGB.
    Seems like one could join the AAU http://www.aaujudo.org starting to see some freesyle only focused Gyms around.

or

USA Traditional Kodokan Judo http://usa-tkj.org I think this is the organization that gave Gene Lebell his 10th dan.

So Judo is indeed interesting.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If anyone has information about how it works in other arts, it's welcome here for sure. Definitely gonna cover lutre livre.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If anyone has information about how it works in other arts, it's welcome here for sure. Definitely gonna cover lutre livre.
    OK, i'm going to propose that we cover the following scenario in each art/sport (other suggestions more than welcome of course)

1) progression from white -> black belt in terms of requirements, fees and necessary memberships/affiliations.

2) progression from student to instructor to club/dojo owner in the same terms. it might also be interesting to discuss common payment amounts or lack thereof in this section as well.

3) progression from local level competitor to world level competitions in the same terms. it might be interesting to discuss the costs of being a competitor and what financial help is available at what levels and from whom.

i will answer these questions for USJF+USA Judo once i have confirmed the costs associated with running a dojo. it would be great if someone under USJA and under other countries NGBs could chime in on the local differences.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... Last