Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2002 6:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well you asked for a McDojo and here is what I think is one. http://www.wujido.com/

I went to this place one time to check it out and man the guy who runs the place looked like Steven Segal and even had the pony tail. He tried to woo me with stories of fighting a challenge match with someone from another school and how he left that guy in stiches, and how he defeated 10 gangsters who jumped him, where he lived in a bad neighborhood using only his technique and told us that he could teach us this technique for only $150 a month(That was 10 years ago). Do I know for sure they are a McDojo? No, but it looked and sounded like one when I visited.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2002 6:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mmmmmmmmm..........Let me break this down.

1 The most treasured secrets of Shaolin Temple

2 The oldest and most effective style of Karate

3 How to protect yourself with the world's most effective self defense systems

4 How to gain poise and confidence in stressful situations

5 How to develop laser-like concentration

6 How to use grappling and throws like judo and jujitsu

7 How to achieve a very high level of personal fitness and health

8 How to conquer your fears once and for all

9 How to achieve any goal, any dream you desire

10 How to face the world in a positive and powerful way

#1 If they're so secret, how come he's selling them ?

#2 Yeah right !

#3 Can he prove that ?

#4 What like breathing into a brown paper bag ?

#5 Please ?

#6 The only sensible thing he quoted

#7 By living off fresh fruit,veggies and getting plenty of excercise.

#8 So I will no longer be scared of rats,snakes & heights ? Sure.

#9 What I could be the Ruler of the world ?

#10 That is just garbage, do they do psychology as well ?

Definitely a McDojo.

Bruce Lee,Jet Li,Segal and Van Damme are all actors so shutup about them.
    Goldberg is soft

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2002 6:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am saying alleged because the guy who owns the place seems like the guy who would sue for liable if he read this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2002 6:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would you be liable for? Telling the truth? Besides with a sitle looking like his somehow I don't think he could afford to sue. I like this part: "Wujido includes techniques found in every martial art known to man."

If that's true, they must have a wherehouse full of weapons.

Posted On:
    6/23/2002 6:51pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Street,

We have a nifty little disclaimer on the front page of the site which states that everything here is presented as opinion. That should cover any issues with libel.

Discuss anything you want, you can't be sued for expressing an opinion and stating facts, especially if the source of the facts is the person in question.

Eventually we're going to have a polling system by which people can submit opinions on whether or not a school/artist is McDojo-level or not.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2002 6:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, I did not see the disclaimer. This guy was a Steven Segal wannabe from hell. I am sure he has plenty of money cause he was charging more then I'm paying now years ago

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2002 5:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Streetfighter if Mister Asshole says its OK
    Its OK dude. Hey Phrost wheres the members picture gallery at?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2002 6:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmm ok there is one way to tell if it is or not. did he tell you that you would be able to really defend yourself but you cant use it against anyone because you could hurt them. if he did then its a mcdojo.

Posted On:
    6/24/2002 6:12pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Posted the answer to that question under Sam's thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2002 7:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Internet is certainly a small place. I was just browsing when I found this old thread.

I have actually have attended that 'school' (not my choice) and concur that it is a McDojo.

1) The sales-pitch is there. "Professor" Harkins, must have attended McDojo college. The 'traditional' focus on finding what a person wants and claiming that the school caters to it, is definitely there.

2) The students are packed in like so many sardines in a can... and practice their kata, lead by assistant instructors. Any 'correction' is inconsistent... but perhaps Dr. Harkins can't be bothered with such lowly aspects of instruction.

3) The practician of other martial arts is opposed in both discussion and attitude... which is not so bad until you consider that what he teaches is a HYBRID of Shotokan Karate-do, Tai Chi Chuan, and traditional Wushu (long-range system). Hmm... can we say "hypocrisy"? Maybe he just doesn't like it when someone else is getting any money from his 'students'. I'm not sure if this counts a McDojo tactic, but it should.

4) Did I mention anything about the contract? 18 months at $130 - $140 per month... plus a $200 sign-up fee. !!! He actually considers his school, well worth it, "even if you learn only one technique"... that was a real quote!

5) Sparring is laughable. While there are some reasonable rules in place to protect people from their own stupidity, this does not justify higher ranking belts having apparently no sparring skill and simply being encouraged to "use all of the techniques you have learned".

6) Speaking of sparring, demonstrations are somewhere in the range of ridiculous and utterly useless. Such demos as "Walking the Street", where a student supposedly gets a chance to practice on fellow students (usually asst. instructors), who play the roles of "assailants". I'm not sure who were more incompetent... the "victim" or the "assailants". Even more silly is "Dr." Harkins' renditions... as he is 'assaulted' by six or more "assailants" who attack one-at-a-time and he doesn't even ATTEMPT to perform flanking. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or jeer when he proclaimed that "these are actually powerful strikes". Yes, obviously you don't want to hurt your students, but such posing serves no purpose. Particularly when you don't demonstrate any technique worthwhile.

7) He ridicules Wing Chun/Wing Tsun/Ving Tsun for using slapping blocks and the lateral/adduction stance (he apparently isn't familiar with the other two stances)... and 'proving' it by having a YELLOW-BELT student, who has never learned WC/WT/VT, attempt to withstand a push (of course the student falls back) and to block a straight punch with a slapping block (of course the student doesn't succeed). Thus he 'proves' that he is right. Sometime later, he and his senior students are absent for about a week while they learn some more Tai Chi Chuan from a Wing Chun school in China. Ironic doesn't even begin to decribe it.

8) He then 'proves' that his hard block 'works' by having the same student 'block' one of his punches. 'Miraculously', the student successfully blocks the punch. Enough said.

9) When students get injured at his 'school', it's their fault for not following his instructions "exactly". When students get injured somewhere else, they must "stop" attending that school or doing whatever they were doing.

10) Did I mention that the 'school' is more like a cult than anything else? For example: he DOES NOT allow "lower belts" to observe "upper-belt" 'classes'. All students must sign a secrecy + "no-compete" section of a contract. LOL! There's nothing that I saw that isn't either published in a book that you can find in any large bookstore or on the web... for FREE!

10) He teaches a bizarre vertical fist where one 'sits' the thumb in a vertical position on the curled portion of the finger (called an appropiately 'mystical' name: "eye of the tiger). I've seen that punch before... it's a bad fist made by amateur boxers (sometimes due to bad wraps) who later get broken thumbs, when the standing thumb gets sprained or broken while bag training or sparring.

11) He brings out the now infamous myth that <Insert Boxer Name Here> only punches at "700 lbs. per sq. inch", while he punches at "2100 lbs. per sq. inch". He said, and I kid you not, that it was TYSON that punches at only 700 lbs. per sq./inch (he first makes an error and says "foot pounds" and then corrects it)! HAH! Apparently, even his ever-unquestioning horde of gi-wearing sheep seemed skeptical, because he said that it was true and that he has had his punch measured. Even IF he can punch at 2,100 lbs. per sq./inch, couldn't he have at least used a REAL measurement and not some line out of "Rocky II" (or was it "Rocky III")? I've heard variations of that line from so many karateka and kung fu practitioners that it isn't even funny. They must teach it at McDojo College to prospective McDojo instructors. BTW, just for S&G, he claims that Iron Palm practioners can inflict "30,000 lbs. per sq. inch....

Wow... I haven't even scratched the surface. So, it this one a keeper?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast