Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 11:23pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Keanu Reeves directed a movie...

And it's actually pretty good. It's call Man of Tai Chi, and it's about a practitioner of a nearly dead form of Tai Chi fighting in (what else) an underground martial arts tournament organized by an obviously evil corporate executive. The plot itself is pretty cliche, but the movie at least does a far better job than average justifying the existence of the underground tournament. The plot is not why you should watch this movie even though Keanu Reeves' scene chewing evilness is pretty entertaining. You should watch it for the fight scenes.

All of the fight choreography is done by Yuen Woo Ping and his crew of Hong Kong stuntmen which are most famously known in the west for working on The Matrix. In Man of Tai Chi, they really do an awesome job, and don't even resort to any wire-fu bullshit. Aside from Tai Chi, the movie includes a ton of kung-fu styles including Sanda, some tiger form, and Hung-Gar. There are also example of Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Silat, and some other stuff that I couldn't recognize. Every single fight is just really well done and a lot of fun to watch.

The movie does have some problems that crop up in the last 15min. Keanu Reeves is pretty clearly out of practice and just looks stiff in the final fight scene, and the movie ultimately resorts to "magical chi bullshit" after being very grounded in reality for the majority of it's run time, but that really shouldn't be enough to dissuade you from watching it. Man of Tai Chi is the best martial arts movie to come out since The Raid, a fact made even more impressive considering the fact that this is Keanu Reeves first time directing a movie. I had a lot of fun watching it, and if you like kung-fu movies, you probably will too.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 1:38am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope, I guess we saw two different movies. There was wire fu as the story progressed. This movie was pretty mediocre to me. I'm not sure what fight scenes you are thinking of because he looks as wooden as usual. Also, it is so far below Raid Redemption, I am not sure why you'd put them together.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 3:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The movie got a lot worse as it progressed, but I thought that some of the earlier fight scenes were very good. The muay thai fight near the beginning where the guy was throwing Tiger around by his tie, and the fight against the monk who I think was using Hung Gar style come to mind. The fight again *unspecified old guy* near the end was made of stupid though. no arguments there. As for Keanu being stiff, well yeah, he always has been, I just though that it was worse here than in the first Matrix movie.

I will readily admit that this movie has a ton of problems, and that The Raid was a far better movie. The fact that it is the best martial arts film to come out since The Raid is more a reflection on the dire state of the genre than anything else. In my opinion, Man of Tai Chi was a competent kung-fu movie that just ran out of steam at the end. I went in expecting it to be awful, and it turned out to be decent. Not a work of art by any stretch of the imagination, but very strong for a first attempt.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 10:41am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Grandmaster was a better movie than Man of Tai Chi to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 11:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, there are two Ip Man movies this year without Donnie Yen? After the shitfest that was Ip Man: The Final Fight I'm a bit wary.

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 11:19am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wooden is an understatement for how stiff Keanu was in this movie. He has another upcoming martial arts movie too, one where he plays a samurai. Not sure if that one will be any good though.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 11:47am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keanu's acting has actually improved a lot since his older movies. "Wooden" is a compliment.

Consider, for instance, this terrible portrayal of the Buddha in 1993, and possibly one of the worst casting decisions in the history of movies.

This movie only did well in France.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 11:54am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    47 Ronin is a fantasy movie with flying, so it could be perfectly fine for that genre.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That movie wasn't all bad by the way. This scene is pretty awesome because it involves a group of mystic ascetics, giant king cobra, and Keanu not speaking.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 12:19pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the issue, people do not understand the different sub genres of Martial Arts.

There are the ones based on Chinese Heroes and Gods:

There are the "realistic":

You also need to Separate the Japanese genre as well: