Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 8:48am

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright guys, thanks for the advice.
    It seems that the best choice for me as far as strength and muscular endurance is concerned is to go back with the basic Starting Strength.

But what about cardiovascular endurance?

Currently, I'm not at 100% for some odd reason, my recovery is taking a bit long.

Having mentioned this, I'd also like to try running/sprinting/whatever since I found a place to actually do it.

This my ideal template :

Mon : SS A
    Tue : Work-related activity (Like half a day of walking with reasonably heavy stuff).
    Wed : SS B
    Thu : Rest
    Fri : SS A
    Sat : Rest
    Sun : Running

I also walk everyday for around 20-40 minutes. I have no choice.

Would this allow for sufficient recovery time?

I'm currently only lifting twice a week during my recovery and am thinking of only training 3 times a week including cardio, so that means 2 days of lifting and 1 day of running. (Rest on Monday).

TL:DR

3 Days Lifting + 1 Day Running + 1 Day Slow, Long Distance-ish Walking

or

2 Days Lifting + 1 Day Running + 1 Day Slow, Long Distance-ish Walking

EDIT :

I'm following this site :

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-b...rkout-routine/

But with 5 Rep x 3 Set

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 9:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you drop SS's weight progressions to weekly, you could run on off-days or even do an intense 5-minute cardio finisher at the end of your SS workout.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 1:40pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That looks reasonable, but I'd try to add just a little more cardio. I've found that my sweet spot is two days of sprints per week. If you didn't have time for that or it is just inconvenient to do the second running day, consider burpees and/or jumprope. Both of those are easily done indoors any time.

I currently lift three days, run two days, and do some grappling or other random activity a couple of times a week. Thursdays I don't to jack, and I usually get away with at least one weekend day being pretty chill. I've been making progress in strength, explosive power, and endurance, and haven't burned out after about 3 months of that. So I'm guessing you should be fine for recovery as that looks like a reasonable routine.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 11:13pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You really need to read the book. Do you plan on doing this on top of MA training? You will stall hard if you try to do this.

If you really want to lift and condition more on top of MA training, look into Wendler's 531. The progression is monthly but the volume is much lower.

Do you have any specific goals?

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 8:33am

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God, where do you guys get all the stamina to work out like... everyday?

@rsobien : I don't plan to do this on top of MA training, I'm currently inactive in MA, this is my only program. It's freakin' expensive is why.

I don't have any specific goals, just general fitness. I'd love to read the book man, but I have no way of obtaining it legally.

I understand what you're trying to say now. Do not FK with SS, it's awesome enough as it is, everyone on the internets is saying the same thing and I have to prioritize.

Alright, let me just look into the programs you have told me for now.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 2:11pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iopyud View Post
    God, where do you guys get all the stamina to work out like... everyday?
    Dude, I'm in my 40s and I can swing it. I'm guessing you're younger than me and should actually be able to push yourself harder than I do, with quicker recovery and all.

As for me, I looked up one day and saw a fat ex-athlete looking back in the mirror. So I decided to make a lifestyle change, get up in the morning before work and make sure to stay in shape. I've made some headway, but still have a ways to go.

Sticking with a fitness plan is all about having a routine for me. If I'm irregular, I start sliding. If it's workout day, there's no skipping unless I have a severe injury. Even then, I usually find some kind of exercise that I can do, just to stay in the routine.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    31 days registeredTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 11:46pm

Style: Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the Starting Strength book (and pretty much every website you read about it) there is an acronym: YDTP - You're Not Doing the Program.
    -If you aren't adding weight every session, you aren't doing the program.
    -If you aren't eating to put on weight (aka 3000+ calories) you aren't doing the program.
    -If you change the exercises or the programming you aren't doing the program.

Why does this matter? As mentioned, Starting Strength is specifically designed to make best use of the novice effect to create a strength base for beginner lifters/athletes. It can work for a every long time if strength is your only goal and with added conditioning once you have enough weeks under your belt that your body has adapted to recover properly. But to improve you have to do the program.

I personally did it for about 4 months or so (I'd have to check my logs) and then switched to 5/3/1 which leaves more room for conditioning (and recommends conditioning as part of the program). Since I do conditioning and Judo on top of lifting this works well for me and my lifts keep going up. But I would encourage sticking with Starting Strength for quite a while and building a strength base that you can add endurance/cardio work to down the road. If you don't like that idea, it seems like there are good alternative suggestions (that resemble the Texas Method, which is kind of Starting Strength for intermediates) and I'll 5/3/1 to the list of options.

And its worth spending the money to get the books (Starting Strength, Practical Programming, 5/3/1, whatever seems appealing to you) if you are going to do the programs.

Welterweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/19/2013 9:56am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP: What are your goals, specifically? I may have skipped over it while scanning this thread... I've done this for a living for years.

And "weekly periodization" is nothing new. A form of it is practiced by Westside Barbell with their conjugated periodization. It's not necessarily a good program for novice lifters, though, and it helps to be on 800mg/wk of test for the past 35 years (like Louie Simmons).

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/23/2013 2:20pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    In the Starting Strength book (and pretty much every website you read about it) there is an acronym: YDTP - You're Not Doing the Program.
    -If you aren't adding weight every session, you aren't doing the program.
    -If you aren't eating to put on weight (aka 3000+ calories) you aren't doing the program.
    -If you change the exercises or the programming you aren't doing the program.
    Something Dan John says often is "the goal is to keep the goal the goal"

The OP's goal isn't to put on weight

The OP's goal isn't to max his numbers on the squat as fast as possible.

The OP's goal is to have a sustainable progression that will allow him to improve conditioning at the same time.

If he programs in ways that advance his goal, and that diverges from the SS novice plan, that doesn't mean he's failing the program, that means that the SS novice plan without modifications isn't the correct program for his goals.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    31 days registeredTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    12/30/2013 4:16pm

Style: Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    Something Dan John says often is "the goal is to keep the goal the goal"

The OP's goal isn't to put on weight

The OP's goal isn't to max his numbers on the squat as fast as possible.

The OP's goal is to have a sustainable progression that will allow him to improve conditioning at the same time.

If he programs in ways that advance his goal, and that diverges from the SS novice plan, that doesn't mean he's failing the program, that means that the SS novice plan without modifications isn't the correct program for his goals.
    I agree in one capacity. You should train for your goal. But if you are diverging from the Starting Strength template, you are no longer doing Starting Strength. That's why I included other options that might better suit the OPs goals. If the OP wants to get stronger and have better endurance, he needs to both improve his lifting numbers (by adding weight) and steadily increase his cardio/endurance capacity with whatever he does for cardio/endurance.

On that note, actually, I am about to try the 5/3/1 bodyweight template (big lifts plus high rep body weight exercises for assistance) and I think it would be a good option to improve both strength and muscular endurance for the OP. Toss in some hill sprints for cardio and away you go.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast