Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 12:27am

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New Training Program - Seeking Advice

Hi,

I've been training for around 8 months now. I trained before but it's more of a stop and go routine...

Anyway, I'm looking for a new program that also improves cardiovascular and muscular endurance. The catch is, I can only train 3 times a week.

Up to now, I've been using the Starting Strength program, here are my stats :

Weight : 166 Lbs.
    Height : 5'4" (Yes, I'm short, it sucks. Puns are welcome.)

The stats here are at 5 reps x 3 sets unassisted. They are NOT my 1 RM because I've never tried it before.

Workout A :

Dumbell Bench Press 140 Lbs.
    Bent Over Barbel row 130 Lbs.
    Squat : 200 Lbs.

Workout B :

Dumbell Military Press 100 Lbs.
    Chin Up : 6 Reps x 3 Sets
    Deadlift : 209 Lbs.

Here's a program I "made" myself :

Week A (Endurance Week):
    Workout A & B (2 Days): 65-70%RM, 10 x 2
    Then Cardio for the 3rd Day

Week B (Strength Week):
    Workout A & B (2 Days): at 5RM x 3
    Then a Deload/Light Cardio for the 3rd Day

How does this look? I know it's not starting strength anymore.
    I tried doing HIIT after SS, but it over trained me and got sick for 2 weeks, I'm still somewhat recovering from the post-flu.

I don't care if CT Fletcher calls me a wuss.

Doesn't help that I don't use supplements.

TL;DR :

I'm using SS program. I want strength, muscular and cardiovascular endurance. SS doesn't give me that. I don't use supplements.
    Last edited by iopyud; 12/08/2013 12:31am at .

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 3:42am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kettle bells. Throw a plate around. Hill sprints and stuff.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 5:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Switching weekly is an interesting concept. I'm not sure I've seen it before. Usually what I see is "daily undulating periodization", which is a complicated way of saying "one day power then one day strength then one day endurance then rest and repeat". (The rest days can be applied differently, that's just an example.) For you, that might mean "SS A but with a weekly instead of daily progression on the first workout of the week, then SS B likewise, then a day of running/whatever". Your weekly approach could work, but I've never tried anything like that.

10 reps isn't very far into endurance territory for some of the exercises. Have you tried 20-rep squats? Also, it matters *why* you want endurance. If it's for sport, then don't try to make your S&C program into endurance--just do the sport more. (And try those finishers again, keep them short and slow down the SS progression while you do them.)
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 8:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not for sport or anything, actually. It's just for general fitness.
    I'd simply like to be more well rounded.

I don't really care much about "slowing down" the progress of SS, I'm training my endurance as well, afterall.

I haven't tried the 20 Rep Squat. Is that the one with the weights at 10 RM?

I've heard people seeing stars doing that, I MIGHT try it, we'll see, I'm still at the stage of doing research, I'll take it easy next week while doing that. I'm still healing from a bad flu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 9:49am

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you read the Starting Strength book? If not, you really should. An aggressive linear progression is hard to balance with other training. The point of the program is too get as strong as quickly as possible, using the "novice effect."

I put 40 pounds on my bench and 100lbs on my squat in a month.

Personally, I think everyone with any athletic aspirations should run a linear progression for three months before doing anything else.

However, if you are not interested in that, you should really look into Ross Enamait's stuff. I think his approach to overall fitness and periodization for combat sports, is exactly what you are looking for. I highly recommend Infinite Intensity and Never Gymless.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 9:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have the SS Book, I just search the web.

Thanks for the keywords, I'll google those.

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 4:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ross' Infinite Intensity is indeed great. You should read the actual SS book if you want to continue trying to do anything remotely like that program. For one thing, I just noticed that you've been doing something you call SS for eight months (?) but your squat is still 200 pounds. Uh, what have you been doing?

20 rep squats are 20 rep squats. Websites say "use your 10RM" but whatever. .

I am not convinced that it was HIIT metcons on top of lifting that made you get the flu.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 12:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's because I'm not adding weight when I should be adding weight.
    Call me lazy.

I still feel like I can get more results from SS, it's just that the lack of cardio and muscular endurance bothers me, I'd like to add these to the program.

I probably got the flu from lack of sleep.

I'm at work ATM so I GTG.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 2:26pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're definitely going to need to add some weight. If you get stronger, muscular endurance will improve at lower weights. To facilitate more muscle growth, you'll probably want to be pushing 80%+ of your one rep max at least occasionally.

Alright, let's see if I can try to explain. So you're benching 140 now. If you just stick with that weight, your endurance will improve, but will you ever be able to bench 240? Probably not. Your body will not attempt pack on that much muscle as your loads do not demand that. So, you will make some kind of incremental improvement, but you'll reach a limit as far as endurance goes without having some more muscle mass.

Now, if you start adding weight using a good program for muscle growth, you can increase your max. Let's say you get your bench max up to 240. At that point, your muscle mass is vastly increased and 140 will be a cakewalk. You'll probably put up more reps at 140 after that than you would have if you had just stayed at 140 the whole time, focusing solely on endurance.

I've kind of got some similar goals to you which I've been covering in my NFL draft worthy thread. Specifically regarding bench press, I'm trying to succeed at a test in which have to put up 225 as many times as possible. When I first started lifting again, my max bench was around 160ish or so, and I could put up 140 or so maybe 4-5 times. Now my max is 230, and I can put up 140 15+ times easily.

To reach my goal of 225 for 17 reps, I need to have a max bench in the range of 315-330. Just sticking at 225 and trying to make it to 17 reps would be super hard and lengthy to do. So I'll just work on adding mass and power. Then when I'm getting close to testing time, I'll take a couple of weeks before hand, and just work on grinding out reps at the lower weight.

So as far as muscular endurance goes, this is what I'd recommend. You'll get both the raw strength/power, and improve your muscular endurance. As far as cardio goes, run sprints. Flats, hills, whatever. Add in the occasional distance run if you want to really round things out. Burpees are a good one too if you are short on time or space.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 11:15pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have any serious athletic aspirations I would read Starting Strength and Practical Programming. It is about weight training but it also goes into detail about physical adaptation and periodization. I would also recommend reading Ross's stuff as he also goes into periodization as it relates to combat sports.

If you want to be stronger, I would seriously consider running Starting Strength for awhile. I had ACL surgery 4 months ago and I squatted 245 on Friday. I had only been squatting with weight for 2 months and the first month I was not following the progressions outlined in the program.

TLDR- I went from air squats to 245lbs in two months following Starting Strength.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast