Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 2:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.HoneyBadger View Post
    Ahh that sucks. Yeah I wish they would have a class for people who were looking to compete, and just go over competition rules and techniques, and then have a general Judo-grappling-wrestling class, that included all the judo techniques, morote-gari, etc.

I know you can just practice them and not use them in randori and stuff but, still. Seems lie more people take it for recreation/exercise/self defense then for competition. But it's not a big deal.

Here's the link:

http://sbjudo.homestead.com/main1.html

It looks good I think, I don't know how competition oriented it is, but I'll try to see when I'm there. I don't know if I'll be able to tell though is the problem.
    The skills you learn will help you out a lot, despite your seeming worries about not spending a lot of time on leg picks et al.

In fact, the other stuff you learn will help you be better at leg picks, Morote Gari, et al.

The club is fine, I suggest you try it out.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 3:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish schools like this one that want to teach the full Judo circulum would focus on colmpeting in Freestyle Judo vs Olympic judo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 3:46pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I wish schools like this one that want to teach the full Judo circulum would focus on colmpeting in Freestyle Judo vs Olympic judo
    The way the IJF are going the more schools may decide to go down the freestyle route, Limiting techniques way make more ippons and better Judo to watch but what does that concern the recreational players at training.

Its going to be embarrassing for newer Judo players try other forms of grappling and keep getting taken down with double legs they never saw coming.

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 4:05pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickosaurus View Post
    The way the IJF are going the more schools may decide to go down the freestyle route, Limiting techniques way make more ippons and better Judo to watch but what does that concern the recreational players at training.

Its going to be embarrassing for newer Judo players try other forms of grappling and keep getting taken down with double legs they never saw coming.
    They will just learn to defend double legs one way or another. That is what I did, it's not rocket science.

In any case, even when Morote Gari et al were still competition legal judo throws, that didn't mean judoka were capable of defending shots that well anyway. Morote Gari (as an example) was fairly rare anyway (in Judo), more of specialty throw.

I do wish that touching the leg were not an automatic DQ in competition judo now, believe me, I do. The latest iteration of the IJF rules went too far in my opinion.

But Judo as such isn't harmed that much by the "no leg touch" rules of the IJF.

Anybody see a groundswell of interest in "Freestyle Judo" ? I don't, but am willing to be proven wrong. The stuff I've seen on Youtube was pretty low level. In the US at least, the Judo population is so low there isn't much pie to share.

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 4:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Anybody see a groundswell of interest in "Freestyle Judo" ? I don't, but am willing to be proven wrong. The stuff I've seen on Youtube was pretty low level. In the US at least, the Judo population is so low there isn't much pie to share.
    Unfortunately not.
    I think its a chicken or the eggs thing. I do see freestyle judo tournaments pop up out here but they are usually small in house things. As for national events
    http://www.aausports.org/Events.aspx
    as you can see it is pretty lite.
    Its a shame from what I have been told the AAU is an easier governing body to deal with.
    I get that one of the appeals to Judo is it is an Olympic sport, but I don't think everyone who does Judo should be shoehorned into doing Judo with Olympic rules. I think the community would be better served focusing on Judo as a grappling system than an Olympic sport. I think freestyle judo better represents Judo as a martial art and a form of grappling. Those who excele at freestyle can make that transition over to olympic style rules if they are at that level.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 6:03pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the U.K there is the BJC which is an alternative Judo organisation which is suppose to offer more traditional Judo but I am not sure what their contest rules are.

I guess it comes down to money the NGB here get money from the government here based on being an Olympic sport. A freestyle Judo would have to raise all of its money from players. There is also the fact that players looking for less rule restricted grappling can do BJJ

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2013 7:15pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    No, he was really cool.
    These are some of his gyms students

The leg catches to leg locks, and the rolling take down-into-submission techniques look SAMBO-ish to me, but I've never done it so it may not.

Posted On:
    12/13/2013 7:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.HoneyBadger View Post
    These are some of his gyms students

The leg catches to leg locks, and the rolling take down-into-submission techniques look SAMBO-ish to me, but I've never done it so it may not.
    You posted a link to South Bay Judo. So which school are you looking at in reality ?

Posted On:
    12/13/2013 8:03pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately not.
    I think its a chicken or the eggs thing. I do see freestyle judo tournaments pop up out here but they are usually small in house things. As for national events
    http://www.aausports.org/Events.aspx
    as you can see it is pretty lite.
    Its a shame from what I have been told the AAU is an easier governing body to deal with.
    I get that one of the appeals to Judo is it is an Olympic sport, but I don't think everyone who does Judo should be shoehorned into doing Judo with Olympic rules. I think the community would be better served focusing on Judo as a grappling system than an Olympic sport. I think freestyle judo better represents Judo as a martial art and a form of grappling. Those who excel at freestyle can make that transition over to Olympic style rules if they are at that level.
    I'm not sure how many clubs just follow "Olympic Rules" when learning Judo (in the US at least). Some (the more competitive schools) for sure. Even under the less restrictive rules of yesteryear, the judo rule-set is restrictive...no lower body subs and elbows only on upper body.

Many tend to focus on the "no leg touching" thing in Judo, however, Judo never really offered expertise in leg grab type attacks. If you go back far enough, there was actually prejudice against them, even when skillfully done. They were not considered to be "real" or "proper" Judo.

What Judo offers, if taught effectively and practiced enough, to the serious grappler, is broad training in body skills and mechanics of grappling. The mechanics, movements, principles, apply regardless of whether a jacket is used.

Obviously, other grappling arts can do the same. But the upright posture and free movement prized in Judo are a generalized form of grappling, despite the restrictive ruleset and uniform.

I did LOTS of leg picks when they were legal. They were an integral part of my Judo in competition. I often didn't do them on randori because below a certain level of training partner, it was not fair, LOL (see my remarks on prejudice against leg grabs above). But my ability to use them effectively was a result of my overall judo training.

Those who excel at Freestyle will have to train with and compete in "olympic" Judo as well in order to be competitive in mainstream Judo (I'm talking being national level and above). Because that's where all the best players and clubs are at this point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2013 8:23pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You posted a link to South Bay Judo. So which school are you looking at in reality ?
    I'm undecided. I want to check them both out before I stick with one of them.

I posted that video because I wanted to get Omegas opinion, since he apparently has met with Mr. Bass before, and has found him to be o.k.

The JiuJitsu place is closer, so I think I'm going to try that one first, than try the Judo club.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast