Thread: Bob Bass

Style
    Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bob Bass

Hello. I did a fight finder search on Sherdog, and this guy Bob Bass didn't come up, but I didn't know his weight class so he may be legit and I just fucked up the search. Anyways.....

I emailed his gym, and part of the response email was this (I want to do SAMBO, but I can only find BJJ) :
    "Bob Bass is the owner/head instructor here at South Bay Jiu Jitsu and he won the Pan Am SAMBO championship in 1994."

I did some googling and a search here and I can't find anything on this (although it appears that his BJJ black belt is legit).

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.

Style
    BSL; Sanda; Kendo; Karate
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Mods, do you think this thread deserves to be relocated to YMAS or MABS, maybe?*

I'll try to answer your question, Mr.HoneyBadger. After some googling I found some info. It seems Mr. Bob Bass won the first BJJ Pan Am on 1995 as a lightweight, probably as a brown belt. Couldn't find the official results on the IBJJF website though. And, about Sambo, I couldn't find any records of that time - not in FIAS's nor AASF's website.

It's a shame that the results of the 1995 BJJ Pan Am can't be found anywhere. Actually, all Pan Am results from 1996 to this day can still be found. But the 1995 championship, the one Mr. Bass won, was left out... Well, IBBJF's website DOES state that the championship actually happened: http://www.ibjjf.org/pan.htm

Márcio Feitosa - the one who lost to Mr. Bass back in 1995 - doesn't count that loss, though: http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/marcio-feitosa

What the hell is going on here?

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IBJJF competitions are not generally part of a fighter's record. That may change with the new IBJJF Pro League, but that remains to be seen: http://www.ibjjf.org/ibjjproleague2012home.htm

As far as the Bob Bass school goes, I don't have personal experience with any of them, but from a reputation perspective, you probably are not going to find better instruction. Bob Bass is part of the Dirty Dozen: read http://www.nhbgear.com/forum/index.php?topic=60940.90 http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f12...k-belt-409542/

Style
    Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. O.K. so his BJJ record (or at least his belt rank) seems legit. One of the first dozen non-brazillians to earn black belt in BJJ. That's impressive and yes I'm lucky he teaches near me.

Thank you for the info!

The only part I'm troubled about is his claim (or whoever at the school that replied to my email) of winning the 1994 pan am SAMBO championship in '94. The reply stated that he teaches infuses some SAMBO, cage fighting, etc. a bunch of stuff he has learned into his BJJ teaching.

This sounds great, unless it's all bullshido, and I'm getting suckered.

Thanks to all for the info.

Style
    Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @DS

I didn't put it in MABS because it was my understanding that MABS is for serious investigations where you think (and have evidence) that someone is bullshido. I don't have any evidence, and I'm not even sure if he is bullshido yet. I mean the guy sounds legit, it's just I feel like I could just google "Sambo Pan Am championship 1994 winner" and he would pop up, but nothing comes up.

I couldn't post in YMAS, I don't have enough points yet. :newbness:

Style
    Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But yeah Mods should put it wherever they want to put it, I just didn't want to foul up other threads, although if I could have I would have posted this to YMAS.

Style
    Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bob Bass trained under Machado, who competed against judo guys and SAMBO guys, and won a lot of those competitions, so hopefully he does know his stuff and I can learn some SAMBO stuff from him.

Style
    Boxing, Judo, Kenpo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.HoneyBadger View Post
    Bob Bass trained under Machado, who competed against judo guys and SAMBO guys, and won a lot of those competitions, so hopefully he does know his stuff and I can learn some SAMBO stuff from him.
    So, this is half rant/half advice.

<rant>
    Mr. HoneyBadger, you really did not do *ANY* leg work before posting here.

Bob Bass' Bio

While he won't win any writing awards for it - it was clear and to the point.

He was the first American black belt under Machado (did you check that out?)

He won the first Pan Am Championships (again, a question that the Machado's probably would have remembered, if you couldn't have found the results with a little Google Fu).

This guy did everything right with his bio - listed his lineage and verifiable facts (with extra detail no less).
    </rant>

<advice>
    My advice to you is this: pay more attention to his students achievements than his.

If he was a new instructor, then his competition record would tell you that he has skills to give. After 15 years of teaching (he has had a school since '97) - he should be able to teach, and his students should be demonstrating those skills with wins of their own.

My 2c.
    </advice>

Style
    Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.HoneyBadger View Post
    Hello. I did a fight finder search on Sherdog, and this guy Bob Bass didn't come up, but I didn't know his weight class so he may be legit and I just fucked up the search. Anyways.....

I emailed his gym, and part of the response email was this (I want to do SAMBO, but I can only find BJJ) :
    "Bob Bass is the owner/head instructor here at South Bay Jiu Jitsu and he won the Pan Am SAMBO championship in 1994."

I did some googling and a search here and I can't find anything on this (although it appears that his BJJ black belt is legit).

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.
    I've been going to South Bay JiuJitsu for around a month now, and the place is great. Bob is a really good coach and I've learned a ton from him in a very short time. It's a great environment and the people there are nice.

He is totally legit.