Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 12:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much does it cost to get stuff graded?
    It depends on the age of the comic, the older it is , the more they charge you. Golden Age books cost the most, well, actually magazines probably cost the most..like a Savage Sword or something..because of their size.
    But generally speaking, the older the book, the more it costs.
    Most people I've talked to don't like CGC for a number of reasons. They don't like the fact that they have a virtual monopoly on grading (there is another company called PGX, but some dealers don't recognize their work), they don't like the fact that there are inconsistencies in the grading, and they don't like what slabbing has done to the hobby overall.
    Its basically created a two-tiered collector's world, with rich assholes who have never read a comic in their lives buying up slabbed 9.9 's and/or the highest graded copy of a key book just to have bragging rights.
    It also makes it harder for collectors with ungraded collections to realize full value for their books when it comes time to sell.
    I have about twenty-five slabbed books in various grades. I sent a bunch in when CGC first arrived on the scene and it wasn't as expensive as it is now, and I have bought a few off ebay over the years.

I thought they were a bit off on some of the grades, but I wasn't completely crushed when they came back either. They only graded my Hulk# 181 a 5.5 - which was a bit disappointing, but it had more to do with printing/binding defects than it being in poor condition.
    They graded my All-Star Western#10 (1st Jonah Hex) a 9.0 - which is pretty good. It makes the book worth around $900 or so according to guide.
    There are good and bad points to it, I guess.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 12:59pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^^^^^^I'm looking at their pricing right now... which is confusing as ****.

It seems like a modern, cheap comic costs around $25 to grade it (of course, if they say it's worth more than $200 they charge you more). And it takes about 60 days to grade it... so about 2 and a half months to get it back. If you take your comics to be graded instantly at a show or at one of their shops, the charge is $150 or %3 of what they value it at, whatever is higher.

That seriously seems like the biggest shilling of all time. I really can't believe people put up with that for anything other than golden age comics.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 1:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing about sending in Modern Age books is this - you might pay $25 to get a $4 comic graded, but if you get lucky and it comes back a 9,9 or 10 - you will be able to sell it for a couple hundred bucks. So a lot of dealers just pick a bunch from their weekly shipment and send them in just on the chance they have that one that's a really high grade.
    It seems like the average grade you get back on a brand-new, unread comic right off the shelf is 9.2 - 9.8.
    I sent in a NM copy of Batman # 676 to see what it would come back as; it cost me $25 and it came back a 9.8 - which is great, but because its a newer book and there are thousands out there in great condition, its only worth the $25 I spent on grading if I sold it. I just sent it because I like the cover (Alex Ross, Batman RIP storyline) and thought it would look good in a slab. Plus, I thought maybe I would get lucky and it would come back a 10.
    But it didn't..however, it didn't cost me much to take a chance.
    Taking a chance on a Silver or Golden Age book would be much more costly and risky..so you need to pick your books carefully if you choose to send them in. And be prepared to be disappointed, just in case.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 2:22am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For what it's worth, I really want to see a Green Arrow movie directed by Kevin Smith.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 4:43am

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    For what it's worth, I really want to see a Green Arrow movie directed by Kevin Smith.
    As long as it was based on a story by Mike Grell ;)

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 11:21am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight View Post
    As long as it was based on a story by Mike Grell ;)
    Or the ones that Kevin Smith himself wrote.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 8:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Do you like the Arrow television show ? How well does it correlate with the Oliver Queen character we have come to know in the comics ?
    I have yet to watch an episode, but I've heard rumors that Nightwing may be making a guest appearance on the show, which has me kind of interested.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 8:37pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know many a comic nerd that swears by the show. I have never read Green Arrow.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 10:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggle Butt View Post
    Watchmen is over-rated.
    It only seems overrated because right before and immediately after the move was released, every hipster douchebag came out of the woodwork to say how much they liked Watchmen before it was cool.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 10:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    I, for one, love Zack Snyder movies.

• Sucker Punch was his weakest one, and even that was OK. He totally screwed up the pacing and narrative and left us with a confusing bit of action eye candy that had no point.
    • Watchmen is a goddamn masterpiece, and I loved the Comics. If you don't get why Snyder's Watchmen is awesome, you are just a broken sad person.
    • 300 was as much fun as I've ever had in a movie theater. Period.
    • Man of Steel was the best Superman movie to date. Period. It was true to the modern Superman mythos, and gave us the superman brawl we have wanted on screen for 70 goddamn years. Cavil is the most believable Superman since Chris Reeves.

Now, the casting for this next one has me very nervous. I am not in love with Afleck as Batman, but he has shown good acting chops in the past. His Daredevil was awful, though. Gadot does not look like Wonder Woman to me. But if she adds 30 lbs of muscle, she could. I want to see an AMAZON though, not a waif. Wonder Woman is all about strength and ferocity. She is a killer and warrior. She needs to look like one. If she doesn't, it just won't work for me.
    I mostly agree; however, I was extremely disappointed with two things in 'Watchmen': first, Lori came to terms with and understood her past because of Jon using his powers to essentially unlock the barriers in her mind. In the comic series, Lori comes to that understanding all on her own. It's a pivotal moment for Lori, both from a story element point and a character development point. Jon doing the work for her just makes the character of Lori weaker.

Second, there was no reason to change up the ending. The only reason I can fathom as to why that decision was made involves budget constraints. If that is what predicated the change than I suppose I can forgive it but I was still disappointed.

Those two complaints aside, I heartily agree that 'Watchmen' was a brilliant film.
    Last edited by FinalLegion; 12/09/2013 10:34pm at .
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast