Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 9:13pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post

Doomsday isn't the solution..although he's a viable opponent and I wouldn't mind seeing that battle on screen.
    No. Swallow some pride and do Hulk VS Superman. I laughed when I first read Doomsday, just like the video, I was like "The Hulk just killed Superman." Yes, minus the cloning aspect of his creation, Doomsday was the Hulk. Mono syllabic, child like aggression, damn near invulnerable, whoops up massive amounts of superheros by himself, leaps instead of flying and massive amounts of destruction.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 12/07/2013 9:17pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 9:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting back to the best fights thing..
    I think one of my favorites from the DC Universe is the first fight between Batman and the KGBeast in Batman 417-420.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KGBeast.Cover_.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	15660

This was a pretty memorable encounter with a character that only hard-core fans remember.
    The KGBeast was one tough opponent.
    Last edited by OZZ; 12/07/2013 9:17pm at .
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 9:50pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, you guys have powered up my inner-geek. I'm actually posting while watching the hockey game, can you believe It ??

I know Wolverine isn't the most popular character around here, but there was a run of issues where he faced a character that was kind of interesting named Mister X.
    Name:  Wolverine v Mr. X.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  13.1 KB

This guy is a full-blown psychopathic murderer and martial-arts master. In his first encounter with Logan he was able to TKO him in three moves.
    In subsequent encounters, it was revealed that the secret of Mister X's skillset was the ability to read minds, thus enabling him to anticipate his opponent's moves well in advance and allow him to counter whatever was coming his way in combat.
    It was when Wolverine figured this out that he realized the key to defeating Mister X was to let loose his berserker self; making the reading of his mind next to impossible.
    I think this character appeared in about six or seven issues total - at least that I know of.
    I thought he was kind of neat.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 10:00pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wolverine was in my top Ten Until Marvel put him in every damn book and gave him morals. I liked him better as a Punisher type assassin. Uncanny X-Force and Uncanny Avengers is where you go to see definitive stories about Wolverine, ArchAngel, Apocalypse and a few others. They actually made Deadpool funny.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 10:16pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm watching the animated Dark Knight Returns right now. This thread made me remember that I hadn't seen it yet.

But it's so different than the comic it's making me sad. Different in a lot of ways from what I remember, and just doesn't have the magic of the books.

And Ozz, I have a first printing of The Killing Joke. I think I picked it up for about $20 almost 20 years ago now. It was the first "big purchase" comic I ever made. I bought a 4th run the same day, so I'd never have to even open the original one.

Twenty years later, I think it's worth the same amount now that it was back then.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 10:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spider-Man has had to face-off against pretty much every baddie from the Marvel Universe at one point or another, and always finds a way to come out on top.
    Its hard to fathom why the Kingpin can give Spidey the kind of competition toe-to-toe that he seems to be able to when you consider Spider-Man's superior strength. I guess we have to assume he is always pulling his punches against the tough, but very mortal Wilson Fisk.
    They have had some doozies over the years, but this one is still my favorite. It takes place in the Kingpin's Mansion :
    Attachment 15658
    As referenced by the "Back in Black" fight that IIF listed, I'm pretty sure Spidey has a psychological tendency to hold back when he fights people with no super powers. When he was really out for blood and didn't hold back, he beat the living **** out of the Kingpin. Fisk is an underrated fighter in the Marvel Universe, and even fought Batman to a draw in a cross-over comic, but Spiderman has Class 10 strength (Meaning he can military press ten tons, at least when he maxes out).

I like when power levels are represented consistently. In the Silver Age, Spiderman would have no problem taking out members of the Enforcers one-on-one. When Daredevil would fight Ox (A non-powered but very strong thug), though, he would have trouble even hurting him.

Anyway, here are some more of my favorite fights:

Daredevil vs. Namor the Sub-Mariner in Daredevil #7

Before Spiderman fought the Juggernaut (And later Firelord), Marvel's original David vs. Goliath battle was between Daredevil and the Prince of the Seas. Daredevil (Wearing his red suit for the first time) was utterly dwarfed in power by Namor. The Sub-Mariner was one of Marvel's biggest powerhouses at the time, having beaten the likes of the Thing (With the help of a random bolt of lightning). What the sightless swashbuckler lacked in strength, though, he made up for with balls. Although he lost, he earned the respect of the Atlantian antihero and convinced him to spare New York of his rampage.

Omega the Unknown vs. Electro and a robot in Omega the Unknown #3.

I get the impression that Steve Gerber really wanted his Omega title to be about a kid dealing with bullies in a shitty neighborhood, but the powers-that-be forced him to put in the usual superhero action-adventure. Gerber's writing was so damn good, though, that it's an awesome read either way. He could make Omega bodyslamming a robot seem like a thing of beauty. The fight ends with Electro taking a shot to the knee from a kid in crutches before being zapped by Omega's force blasts. Although that might sound a bit ridiculous, Gerber's narration had me so enamored the first time I read it that I couldn't stop looking the panel over.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 10:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think one of my favorites from the DC Universe is the first fight between Batman and the KGBeast in Batman 417-420.

This was a pretty memorable encounter with a character that only hard-core fans remember.
    I haven't read that arc yet, but I've always thought KGBeast was an awesome name.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 2:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin View Post
    I'm watching the animated Dark Knight Returns right now. This thread made me remember that I hadn't seen it yet.

But it's so different than the comic it's making me sad. Different in a lot of ways from what I remember, and just doesn't have the magic of the books.

And Ozz, I have a first printing of The Killing Joke. I think I picked it up for about $20 almost 20 years ago now. It was the first "big purchase" comic I ever made. I bought a 4th run the same day, so I'd never have to even open the original one.

Twenty years later, I think it's worth the same amount now that it was back then.
    The first print in NM will net you anywhere from $30 to several hundred if you have it slabbed by CGC.
    CGC has really changed the way back issues are valued and what you can get for them.
    For instance, a copy of Incredible Hulk #181 (1st app. of Wolverine) guides in the Overstreet for about $1800 in NM 9.2 , but if you have an exceptional copy which you send for grading and are fortunate enough to get it back with a 9.8 grading - you could get as much as $10,000 for it.
    Its ridiculous, but this is the new reality of comic collecting.
    I actually sent my copy of The Killing Joke in for grading and it came back a 9.2 - which is pretty nice, but not all that uncommon for a book that was printed during the Bronze Age. I could probably get $100 for it at the very most, but more likely around $75.
    Considering I bought it for the cover price of $9.95 or whatever, its still alright.
    But the only way that comic book will ever be worth big bucks is if it ever gets adapted to a live-action film.
    But I can see The Dark Knight Returns being adapted long before The Killing Joke ever does. Especially in light of the Animated release, which is used to gauge viewer interest levels.
    The trick is getting an old Silver Age gem in 9.2 or better.

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 6:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Finally, a Batman comic where Batman is not the gayest character on the cover!

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 10:26am

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CGC has really changed the way back issues are valued and what you can get for them.

Its ridiculous, but this is the new reality of comic collecting.
    What the... huh?? Instead of dick-wagging about "Oh, I got Hulk 377!" it's become "You're Hulk 377 is only a 9.1 and mine in a 9.3!"? (I'm really lost though... eBay has 1st printings for cover price, but also has CGC copies for $100? 2nd printings for $230?)

I think I picked up 5 of those, btw, and got one autographed by Keown and another autographed by Stan Lee. How much does it cost to get stuff graded?

Speaking of the collectible market, I've been trying to sell a 1957 Detroit Lions Championship picture autographed by 22 guys, most dead, and I think 7 Hall of Famers. I was talking to some memorabilia sellers and they were telling me how fucked the whole industry is. A picture of a bunch of dead guys is worth almost nothing, while a current player can go to signings and charge $300 a signature. A single Matt Stafford autograph goes for around $200 on average, while 50 years later it will probably be worth absolutely nothing. The memorabilia guys told me that baseball is the worst, and that prices on things pretty much drop like the price on a new computer or a new car as soon as someone stops making headlines.

Spoiler:
    Last edited by Dagon Akujin; 12/08/2013 10:29am at . Reason: Add picture
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast