You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    12/08/2013 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by timothius View Post
    Not sure what throw I should be working on. I quite like morote type throws, but I find it hard to get my arm around if they have a stiff Judogi on.
    You might want to experiment with gripping the lapel a bit lower if you plan on using a morote throw. Not two low though.

I found dropping to my knees makes them ache, even if I'm careful with how I drop. I have weak knees.
    I think you should try and avoid dropping to your knees too often. Keep it as something in reserve for when you really need it.

Should I be trying to do the throws traditionally at first? I find a lapel pull a bit easier, but I use a standard right handed sleeve lapel grip, so I can't do a right handed throw that way.
    Maybe you could try gripping their right hand sleeve up higher. Like on the seam behind their triceps.

At the moment I'm just trying to attack in randori as much as possible and go for combinations. Seen a definite improvement with my judo by not being passive and just going for things. Also seen a definite increase in general bruises, scratches and swollen finger joints to myself as well!
    That's good that you are attacking, but be careful you're not just blindly launching yourself into no hope attacks. That's a great way to wear yourself out and get injured. It might explain why your knees are so sore when you drop. Attack lots, but be smart about it.

Sent from my C5303 using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 11:18am

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it common for a green belt to not be able to land seoi-nage? It seems to be the go-to throw most of the white belts at my school go for in randori.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 1:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by timothius View Post
    Hi All.

I'm really struggling to do turning in throws in Randori / Shia. Throws like sieo-nage I just cannot do. This is for two reasons:

1) Fear: It is intimidating to commit, especially when you keep getting countered.

2) Lack of kuzushi. I find it really hard to unbalance my partner and get a good pull.

My forward facing throws have got better and I am beginning to use a couple of combinations which seem to be working well. (For instance sieo-nage into ko-uchi gake).

I try to practice good turning in throws in uchi comi, and that has been getting easier.

It is just in Randori that I never do them, for the above reasons. I also often fight bigger people, which makes it harder if I'm not fully committed.

I CAN do drop throws and have thrown larger people with that. I've just stopped doing them as I think they are destroying my standing throws (kept flopping by habit) and I want me knees to work.

I'm 68kg, and short. Most of my partners are in the 80's.

Any advice as to what I should do?

Thanks!

(I'm a green belt, so still somewhat novice).
    Well, I had a long reply, then had a computer glitch. Oh well, now I'm out of time.

Try this blog. He used to post here but life got busy.
    http://thedifficultway.blogspot.com/

Pay attention to the Tsurikomi and Kuzushi sections especially.

You will need to focus on being able to throw in increasingly difficult situations. If you cannot execute, say, Ippon Seoi Nage against a static non-resisting uke, then a uke who is simply moving towards you, then say, uke moving sideways, etc, then doing that in randori is a long way's off except for happenstance.

The you add throwing while circling, changing directions, etc. Then grip move throw (although this type of drill is good to do even using very simple patterns, as you will want to train like you intend to perform).

Leave the drop throws alone (seoi otoshi) until you have standing versions down...you are correct about the flopping.

Don't give up on them. They are a big part of Judo. In my club, you could forget about getting a black belt without the ability to do front turning throws well.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 1:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    Is it common for a green belt to not be able to land seoi-nage? It seems to be the go-to throw most of the white belts at my school go for in randori.
    Depends on the green belt, depends on who they are trying to throw.

White belts do Morote Seoinage because a facsimile of it can be done that works on other white belts. It is easier to teach it because the tsurite arm position does not have to be exact and is easier to get than the standard under the near armpit or side of chest tsurite position.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 2:38pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Depends on the green belt, depends on who they are trying to throw.

White belts do Morote Seoinage because a facsimile of it can be done that works on other white belts. It is easier to teach it because the tsurite arm position does not have to be exact and is easier to get than the standard under the near armpit or side of chest tsurite position.
    I think they one they're encouraged to do is ippon seioi nage.

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 2:49pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    I think they one they're encouraged to do is ippon seioi nage.
    I've seen it done both ways. Morote is easier, but can develop some bad habit...as can Ippon Seoinage.

I did not teach Morote Seoi for a long time, focusing on Ippon Seoi. Now I do some of both, and a lot more Tsurikomi Goshi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 6:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice. I've been trying to do much more forward throws in randori with limited success, but I'll keep trying. (I have be quite successful with seoi otoshi, but I'll stop doing that as it is a drop throw for the time being). I seem to find throws like seio otoshi easier as it forces you to get down low and close, and flicking yourself in makes it quick and unbalances uke. I'll make it my backup throw and keep practicing proper standing techniques.

I find it really hard to control the upper body and clamp the forearm with my arm with ippon seoi nage. And when I do it in randori my legs tend to give out, so some squat practice is definitely in order. I can't get low enough at the moment if my partner is heaver than me.

I'll get some instruction (hire a personal trainer) to give me some instruction on how to do squats properly.

Another slight annoyance is that I've been using seoi nage as a combination for ko uchi gake. I've drilled this so much that I keep doing the combination when I go for seoi nage!

I'm trying to train more productively, so I'm going to try some other clubs. My club wants to grade me tomorrow, but I feel like I shouldn't be grading until I get do a throw that is in the red belt syllabus! Also, I know my technique is dreadful, yet no one there helps me correct it. They just keep telling me to "go for it", which isn't helping!

My dream is to go train at the Kodokan, but I need to be better first!
    Last edited by timothius; 12/10/2013 6:45pm at .

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    12/10/2013 8:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the best thing to do against wrestlers and their infernal bent over-ness?!

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 1:29am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    What's the best thing to do against wrestlers and their infernal bent over-ness?!
    Snap down, secure a front head lock or over the back grip and Sumi Gaeshi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2013 1:31am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    That's a question for the ages, and the more experienced guys can comment, but I usually go for Uchi Mata or some sort of throw with the belt (harai goshi or sumi gaeshi for instance), since its pretty easy to get to when your opponent is bent over.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast