Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/19/2013 2:05am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    meh i like him. he fucked up overeem and he puts on entertaining fights.
    Absolutely. But when the match was booked, it was less "lets create a fight between two contenders that are close in skill!" and more "lets feed Bigfoot to Overeem so he can get a titleshot!"

Registered Member

Achievements:
    31 days registeredTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    12/21/2013 1:10am

Style: Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by karma2343 View Post
    Considering he is usually used as canon fodder for heavyweight contenders, I imagine not much will change with him.
    I'm just gonna be a dick here and point out that he has had TWO title shots in the last... what... year? two years? He isn't exactly a gatekeeper.

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/21/2013 2:51am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say that he is, really, but a pretty good one at that. He's only had 1 titl shot by the way, Velasquez was not champion during their first fight.

He was thrown at Velasquez twice, first on the strength of his win over an out-of-prime Emilianenko and because they needed to boost Velasquez's profile after being knocked out in the first round by Dos Santos, secondly after knocking out a comically overrated Overeem WHO was being groomed to be the top challenger for the title. The outcome of both Velasquez bouts was predictable.

Nobody actually expected him NOT to get smoked, so he was never considered a genuine contender. Bigfoot will never see UFC gold.

On the other hand, he IS a 12-foot tall overachieving upsetting machine, stopping both Emilianenko and Overeem when everybody expected them to walk through him. For that reason alone, he's worth keeping around and has definitely made his mark on heavyweight MMA history. I still think he should be fired for getting caught cheating twice though.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/21/2013 6:46pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Shawarma basically said what I was getting at. The UFC has continued to feed him to rising heavyweights who need a win over a top opponent. Sometimes he wins despite no one expecting him to (like against Overeem), which is what got him that title shot despite getting smoked by Velasquez only a year prior (in a match that was given to Velasquez so a rematch with JDS would be justified).

I'm not taking away from Bigfoot as a fighter, just making on observation on what the UFC likes to do with him when it comes to matchmaking.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123