Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/05/2013 10:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

Watched the clp. Didn't like the music

I approve of Omega's testing procedures. Props to everyone especially to the girl in red.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/05/2013 11:13am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Odd, I thought we were having a discussion on testing methods where I disagreed.
    LOL. What does this have to do with what I said?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Aside from my tossed-off comment
    LOL Nothing. Dinged is the same as "tossed off comment."
    Last edited by It is Fake; 12/05/2013 11:37am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/05/2013 11:32am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    What is the shortest period of time someone earned a black belt in your school? And if it is not too much trouble, could you up load some advanced MT pads or focus mitts work?
    Shortest? 4 years with 4 years prior experience. As for the focus mitt work I guess I wasn't clear in my first post about this. We honestly didn't film it, we thought it was too boring. I've considered bringing it up as a standard rather than a pre requirement. I have a year to decide before the next group is eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Watched the clp. Didn't like the music

I approve of Omega's testing procedures. Props to everyone especially to the girl in red.
    1. :( I can only find epic music that youtube won't take down!
    2. I wouldn't call it "my testing procedures", I tried to mold this according to what I thought the members would like to see.
    3. Thank you, she's my daughter.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    12/05/2013 12:05pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

This is probably a higher bar than 99% of all black belt tests, across most styles.

What this would say to me (Joe consumer) is that Valhalla has very high standards for their particular BB program. Other martial artists themselves will either love it or hate it, but word will get around that Valhalla has the r34l and your BB will actually mean something in your market...when you consider how many thousands of crappy BB programs surround your gym, this kind of video would tend to invite the discriminating MA customer, ie one who has already made up their mind to train hard and swallow the pain before they even show up.

I think there are those customers who come and never have a hope of attaining your BB, customers that will be inspired along the way to do so, and the ones who drool at the thought of training at Valhalla. I think this video hits at least the latter two prospective customer groups, and discourages the first.

And imho, any good test of arms should include trivia, physical challenges, and an obstacle course.

Oh and you should add some sort of awesome prize on top of the BB. Send one lucky BB to Space Camp:

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/05/2013 12:11pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 12:44pm

staff

Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    This is probably a higher bar than 99% of all black belt tests, across most styles.

What this would say to me (Joe consumer) is that Valhalla has very high standards for their particular BB program. Other martial artists themselves will either love it or hate it, but word will get around that Valhalla has the r34l and your BB will actually mean something in your market...when you consider how many thousands of crappy BB programs surround your gym, this kind of video would tend to invite the discriminating MA customer, ie one who has already made up their mind to train hard and swallow the pain before they even show up.

I think there are those customers who come and never have a hope of attaining your BB, customers that will be inspired along the way to do so, and the ones who drool at the thought of training at Valhalla. I think this video hits at least the latter two prospective customer groups, and discourages the first.

And imho, any good test of arms should include trivia, physical challenges, and an obstacle course.

Oh and you should add some sort of awesome prize on top of the BB. Send one lucky BB to Space Camp:

So before my time.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 1:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    A kohaku shiai format avoids most of this problem by using a non-bracketed matching system, but there's often one or two matches at the end where someone fights a round that matters for their opponent for not themselves.
    haven't seen that happen, in my experience, once someone has gotten their points (via batsugun anyway) they are out, and can't take any matches.

the kohaku shiai is a pretty good system, but it has a couple of things that make it tough for someone in my shoes.

* they only happens 2x a year here (not so bad, but my schedule always causes me to miss one of them, so 1x a year for me. more would be nice, but i understand why they only have two

* the masters division (40+) is full of large people. as a 42 year old who competes at 66kg, i get the choice of fighting someone roughly my age *or* someone roughly my size. this isn't the fault of the USJF, it just sucks for me

* the recent IJF rule changes (last 5 years) make it harder for a smaller player to beat a larger one (no leg attacks) again, not the USJF's fault, but it sucks for me.

so the kohaku shiai is pretty much the best system i have seen so far for judo, and i have no suggestions on how to change it, other than magically getting more people into judo to allow for more populated and frequent shiai.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/09/2013 4:14pm

staff

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    haven't seen that happen, in my experience, once someone has gotten their points (via batsugun anyway) they are out, and can't take any matches.

the kohaku shiai is a pretty good system, but it has a couple of things that make it tough for someone in my shoes.

* they only happens 2x a year here (not so bad, but my schedule always causes me to miss one of them, so 1x a year for me. more would be nice, but i understand why they only have two

* the masters division (40+) is full of large people. as a 42 year old who competes at 66kg, i get the choice of fighting someone roughly my age *or* someone roughly my size. this isn't the fault of the USJF, it just sucks for me

* the recent IJF rule changes (last 5 years) make it harder for a smaller player to beat a larger one (no leg attacks) again, not the USJF's fault, but it sucks for me.

so the kohaku shiai is pretty much the best system i have seen so far for judo, and i have no suggestions on how to change it, other than magically getting more people into judo to allow for more populated and frequent shiai.
    Thank you for quoting 1point2. Again he's an idiot.

That being said, it'd be a hard thing to determine an style such as mine compared to one who has a competition side built into it.

We have:
    Weapons
    Forms
    Striking
    Kicking
    Self Defense
    Sparring:
    a. San Shou
    b. MMA
    c. Grappling
    4. Multiple person

Then we'd have to pressure test the x factor of skill knowledge, so we introduce fatigue.

I'm starting to see why there are so many Mcdojos out there.

Some of you guys would rather see this:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456