222310 Bullies, 3936 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Bullshido made Kung Fu Black Belts: is this up to standard?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1463427_10151847841343380_1735150275_n.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	15638So what would a black belt test look like if we took a traditional martial art and let Bullshido set the criteria? It might look something like this.

On Nov. 23rd 2013 assembled a panel of 13 blackbelts, 7 of which are actual members of Bullshido. The youngest was 12 years old and had been training for over 8 years. The other adults averaged almost 8 years between them. Before they were allowed to test they had to pass a lot of preliminary exams including:

• Grappling Qualification (equivalent to a blue belt in BJJ for adults)
    • Weapon's proficiency (see video)
    • Physical fitness test (work out for an hour before test time; again see video)
    • Kicking proficiency
    • Striking proficiency
    • Theoretical Self Defense Concepts
    • Practical Self Defense
    • 2 rounds of San Da rules striking (With fresh opponents)
    • 1 round of MMA sparring (Junior candidate did Pankration rules)
    • 1 round bare knuckle
    • 1 round multiple attacker
    • Power and focus exam: 10 boards with hand and 10 boards with foot in less than 1 minute each.
    • Power break (they chose brick)

There are schools out there that believe everybody should be able to get a black belt. There are some schools that have their candidates show up, do a few forms, break a board and qualify children with less than 2 years experience.

I can't speak for the entire forum but I believe if Bullshido could give some criteria to what a "Black Belt" test might look like I believe this might be it.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

I don't understand the point of this video/thread.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 5:48pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    I don't understand the point of this video/thread.
    Hmmmm, how about this- Is this what a "Black Belt" Test look like if the members of Bullshido had created it? In a way they did.

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 6:06pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

If it was a grading Bullshido members had created, the candidates would be sat to one side waiting, while we all argue over the criteria for 20 pages. 30 seconds before it got decided, Sirc would come in, **** all down it and leave, forcing another 15 pages of arguing between ourselves about something previously unrelated.

Once the exam is finally ready to proceed, someone will pronounce it 'racist'.

Anyone passing will only get respect if they aren't from Europe, and anyone that fails would hop over to MAP and complain that the panel are all meatheads who don't understand the spiritual value of respect.

By the end of it, we'd all agree that fat people are funny, and then wait 18 months for the syllabus to get Necroed by some n00b who's complaining that the test is invalid because "aids needles"

At least that's how I always pictured it.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 6:08pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Is this what a "Black Belt" Test look like if the members of Bullshido had created it? In a way they did.
    Its sorta hard to evaluate as a test format when it jumps between places, times and people every few seconds. Looks like good stuff though.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 6:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

A black belt in what style? If I was in charge of designing a black belt test for a grappling style, I probably wouldn't have punching or kicking. I wouldn't have strikers do grappling either.

As long as the test covers the stuff the style claims to cover, as far as I'm concerned it's golden.

This seems more like a my style is better than your style kind of post.
    Last edited by CrackFox; 12/02/2013 6:20pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 6:34pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    A black belt in what style? If I was in charge of designing a black belt test for a grappling style, I probably wouldn't have punching or kicking. I wouldn't have strikers do grappling either.

As long as the test covers the stuff the style claims to cover, as far as I'm concerned it's golden.

This seems more like a my style is better than your style kind of post.
    Really? Did you even bother reading? Are you arguing for the sake of arguing? Is that what you're getting from this?

You're not a new member of Bullshido so why don't you go seek some counseling and find out why you're really making these statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Its sorta hard to evaluate as a test format when it jumps between places, times and people every few seconds. Looks like good stuff though.
    Do you actually want to watch over 12 hours of video just so you can see the testing format?

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 7:19pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

So it's like the Shaolin Hall of Wooden Men, only more fun and no hot iron branding.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 7:22pm

supporting member

You're building good martial artists and you're doing them a favor with the rigorous testing. They will come away with things more valuable than punching, kicking or grappling.

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 7:29pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    At least that's how I always pictured it.
    ... and then they wouldn't get a black belt, they would be declared to be "the real deal".
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast