233581 Bullies, 3463 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 12:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    Are you speaking for the Alexandria, VA area or the U.S. in general? Obama's executive orders regarding NFA Trusts are annoying, but I think in general it is getting somewhat easier to obtain silencers as people put pressure on the BATFE to modernize. I keep hoping they'll get the tax stamp down to 5 bucks, personally.
    I made a thread on it. I just bumped the thread so you'll see it under new posts.

Edit: Oh, wait. I see you've already posted in that thread so you know what I'm talking about. This executive order is much more than just annoying. It's going to make suppressor ownership for most citizens completely impossible. The problem has nothing to do with the BATFE modernizing. The BATFE isn't the real problem in the first place. The problem is the wording in the law that involves local law enforcement in the process. This may not be a problem in your area, but it is a problem in most areas and it could become a problem in your area at any time with a new CLEO.
    Last edited by Devil; 12/02/2013 12:28pm at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 6:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    Its hard enough waking out of sound sleep and trying to ready myself and the pistol (practiced it a couple of times), adding earplugs to that would definitely make it a challenge. Plus, I'd like to be able to hear what's going on while I'm trying to wake up.

But, I figured that if firing the first round could blow an eardrum, which I hear is pretty painful, then I'd have to consider it. I guess I knew the answer was a suppressor all along, but I've been in denial about spending the bucks.
    If I were more concerned about hearing loss than defensibility, I'd recommend the amplified muffs. They work great, I've used them for skeet, and assassinating mice with #8 shot loaded in front of a light target charge in .357 shells.

Speaking of .357, a LEO/knucklehead friend of mine forgot to lower his muffs off his temples when I let him try my S&W 640 at an indoor range. Seemed painful, but no long-term damage.

We're a hate group? I thought we were a club for physical culture enthusiasts.
    Wait 'till you're in court. You'd be surprised how nefarious your daily life actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 6:31pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I made a thread on it. I just bumped the thread so you'll see it under new posts.

Edit: Oh, wait. I see you've already posted in that thread so you know what I'm talking about. This executive order is much more than just annoying. It's going to make suppressor ownership for most citizens completely impossible. The problem has nothing to do with the BATFE modernizing. The BATFE isn't the real problem in the first place. The problem is the wording in the law that involves local law enforcement in the process. This may not be a problem in your area, but it is a problem in most areas and it could become a problem in your area at any time with a new CLEO.
    That sucks man. My CLEO has a pretty reasonable suppressor policy in my area, but there are a lot of mil folks, so I think he's used to it.

I should apply for this ASAP anyway though: http://libertycans.net/leonidas/

(That being my solution to the indoor noise problem + Maryland's unreasonable AWB.)
    Last edited by Cassius; 12/02/2013 6:34pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 7:08pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its hard enough waking out of sound sleep and trying to ready myself and the pistol (practiced it a couple of times), adding earplugs to that would definitely make it a challenge. Plus, I'd like to be able to hear what's going on while I'm trying to wake up.

But, I figured that if firing the first round could blow an eardrum, which I hear is pretty painful, then I'd have to consider it. I guess I knew the answer was a suppressor all along, but I've been in denial about spending the bucks.

We're a hate group? I thought we were a club for physical culture enthusiasts.
    Forget the idea of putting on hearing protection in a self defense situation. That's just a silly notion. It ain't gonna' kill you but the alternative will.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2013 9:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Forget the idea of putting on hearing protection in a self defense situation. That's just a silly notion. It ain't gonna' kill you but the alternative will.
    It was a silly notion indeed. Losing my hearing is not as bad as losing my life, particularly since it'd only be temporary anyway. I'm still going to look into a suppressor tho -- Christmas is coming!

Posted On:
    12/03/2013 12:10am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you ever have to shoot someone indoors odds are that auditory exclusion will make you hardly notice it.

If you are that concerned though a set of Peltors next to the bed wouldn't hurt.....

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2013 12:29am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    If you ever have to shoot someone indoors odds are that auditory exclusion will make you hardly notice it.

If you are that concerned though a set of Peltors next to the bed wouldn't hurt.....
    Peltors and other similar hearing protectors seem to get high marks on Amazon. Does the amplification really make a difference in regard to low volume sounds? I can usually hear conversation just fine with my plain vanilla protectors, but I wouldn't expect to hear, for example, floorboards creaking in another room. In other words, would wearing these actually result in a hearing advantage, not just protection?

Posted On:
    12/03/2013 1:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Active hearing protection is pretty bad ass
    Its been a lot of years since I had some on but what I recall from the experience was that all the sounds levels got fairly equalized.

I could certainly hear hushed sounds far better, normal levels of sound, sounded more ore less the same and loud sounds where greatly muffled.

Still kicking myself for not buying a set when I could have gotten them at manufacturers cost.

So when it comes to hushed sounds. I would say they have to be a sound you can normally hear comfortably in a quiet room. So if at night you can hear your floor boards creaking you will still be able to hear them with Peltors on. In fact they will be slightly magnified to close to conversational level of volume. Its not going to give you super bionic hearing or anything like that but the key thing is with them on your not going to miss out on any sounds you would have picked up with them off.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2013 10:28am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Still kicking myself for not buying a set when I could have gotten them at manufacturers cost.
    Might be worthwhile to pick some up for just regular shooting at the range. Not all of the models are that expensive, and my wife and kids have been asking me what I'd like for gifts this year.

Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Might be worthwhile to pick some up for just regular shooting at the range. Not all of the models are that expensive, and my wife and kids have been asking me what I'd like for gifts this year.

Posted On:
    12/03/2013 2:10pm

Style: BJJ/MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was worried that it could actually shatter an eardrum, particularly if I had to fire from close retention position. From the responses, it doesn't look that way.
    Not likely. I've had to fire a SAW without hearing protection. I can still hear (mostly) fine. After the ringing went away, which took the better part of a day in my right ear, it turned out I permanently lost only a little bit of high range hearing and only in that ear.

I'm no doctor, but as I understand it the major risk for hearing loss is constant or long-term repetitive loud noises.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast