Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/06/2014 10:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Well the book has arrived. Now to read it and put it to the test.
    You will benifit from the simplest set of exercises in the very beginning, the dantian filling warmup.

One thing to watch for initially is light-headedness.

Also, check out the power lung when you have the funds for it. Helped me get back to moderately steady workouts after my first asthmatic regression.

Good luck, comrade.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    2/06/2014 11:48pm

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are different ways experience asthma. You can have one type, or several.

Yours sound like exercised induced bronchospasms, which I also have. This is when you start doing just about any intense physical exercise and suddenly you can't breathe. Your upper airway is clear, but your bronchial sacs are all swollen and can't move normally and process the air.

For me, this gets triggered during fast form work, shadowboxing, moderate+ sparring, or when rolling in BJJ. The best solution is to stay relaxed and try to breath through your nose if possible, with your tongue pressed to the roof of your hard palate/upper hard gum, which helps keep your tongue out of the airway.

EIA comes as quickly as it goes for most people, once they start to "cool down". A rescue inhaler is always a good idea, but not always necessary. I've noticed a correlation between my EIA and my overall "body heat"...if I get really hot really fast from exercise, it seems to inflame my lungs as well and triggers the EIA.

Qi Gong training improved my allergist's lung tests by about 30% in each lung, and made my diaphragm and core stronger and now I breathe far more effectively. I still suffer EIA episodes (one this night at BJJ in fact, but short and I just take a 2m break), but Qi gong is also a great way to improve your ability to relax quickly, which also lessens the symptoms of all types of asthma.

Yep, I am using qi gong in BJJ class, and it's effective.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/07/2014 12:10am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2014 1:07am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, that's it. It takes depressingly little to trigger mine. I find myself using an inhaler a lot during MT training. At times to the point where it is probably a bad idea. I am seeing a new doctor in the next few weeks though, and the proper medications combined with Qi Gon will hopefully make things a lot better.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    2/07/2014 9:00am

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Yup, that's it. It takes depressingly little to trigger mine. I find myself using an inhaler a lot during MT training. At times to the point where it is probably a bad idea. I am seeing a new doctor in the next few weeks though, and the proper medications combined with Qi Gon will hopefully make things a lot better.
    I actually control my EIA with a combination of control meds, qi gong, and carefully warming up.

Control medication makes a HUGE difference. Advair diskus or Symbicort is something your doctor can prescribe, you take it 1-2 times a day (morning, night) and it generally prevents a lot of asthma episodes and EIA. Your "threshold" for EIA triggers will rise and you simply won't experience nearly as many, and when you do, they're not as severe.

I notice that when I run out of my control meds for a week or so, I end up starting to use the inhaler much more often, going from a few times a month to several per day in certain weather (cold dry etc). Simply coughing hard when not on control meds will sometimes start an attack for me, which I deal with using inhalers. But while on control meds, coughing does not cause this, and a rarely need the inhaler.

So, EIA is a tricky animal that requires a combination approach:

Talk to your doctor about starting a daily asthma control medication (advair, symbicort)

Learn and strengthen your diaphragmatic breathing (qi gong, yoga etc)

Remove allergens from your home/ training environments if possible (dust, pollen etc)

TAKE BREAKS. I can't stress this enough. Asthma is a borderline disability for some, a real disability for others. You are 100% within your rights to STOP and get your breathing back on track, I don't care what the MA class is. Make sure your instructor knows you have this issue, and that you will sometimes need a time out. Some "tough guys" will snark about this, but asthma, especially EIA, can lead to cardiac arrest pretty fucking quick. No MA class is worth your life.

good luck.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/07/2014 9:20am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2014 4:39pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The last time it got really bad (when I ran a mile and a half) I could barely breath, and felt like I had just been stabbed in the chest. In retrospect I should probably have just stopped. I do have a control medication (qvar), but it does not work particularly well. Or at all really.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2014 3:06am

Style: Shotokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drink ginger tea.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12