Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    792
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, how many lumens do you all think is minimum for SD, assuming you're not going to engage any further than, say, about 10-15 yards?
    Last edited by CapnMunchh; 12/04/2013 3:22pm at . Reason: typo

  2. #22
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona CA
    Posts
    7,312
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What one needs is the maglite body with a decent high lumen lamp.

    Ok who is with me lets start our own brand of Bullshido Flashlights

    The Mechanical Engineer I work for worked at maglite.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    792

  4. #24

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    227
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    Nah that is lame. You want to literally burn their eyes.



    4100 Lumen.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    792
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killface View Post
    Nah that is lame. You want to literally burn their eyes.



    4100 Lumen.
    Ok, very cool, and great if you want to roast marshmallows, train for Jedi knight, or take down transatlantic flights, but the narrow beam makes it hard to use for SD -- since its not enough to burn thru exposed flesh in a fraction of a second. I'd think you need something with a broader beam, more like a conventional flashlight but a lot stronger.

  6. #26
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,726
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    What one needs is the maglite body with a decent high lumen lamp.

    Ok who is with me lets start our own brand of Bullshido Flashlights

    The Mechanical Engineer I work for worked at maglite.
    they make them. Led lenser do a 3d one.

    You can also get these on ebay.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N-F-B91-Long-Length-CREE-Q5-3-Mode-250-Lumen-Emergency-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Baseball.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	15645
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

  7. #27

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    227
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    Ok, very cool, and great if you want to roast marshmallows, train for Jedi knight, or take down transatlantic flights, but the narrow beam makes it hard to use for SD -- since its not enough to burn thru exposed flesh in a fraction of a second. I'd think you need something with a broader beam, more like a conventional flashlight but a lot stronger.
    Is wasn't serious of course but actually it does not work that bad as an conventional flashlight:


    The bigger problem is that the battery lasts only 10 minutes, making it a toy effectively.

  8. #28
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,891
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    What one needs is the maglite body with a decent high lumen lamp.

    Ok who is with me lets start our own brand of Bullshido Flashlights

    The Mechanical Engineer I work for worked at maglite.

    I think you have it backwards, especially in light of all the negative complaints wrt high intensity on this thread alone.

    Is there a super sturdy, small light around 3-400 lumens that will run for 8+ hrs?
    That time would seem to be a prudent minimum.

    Again my 2 cell Maglite LED is < 300 lumens, runs for hours on end, will suck to have it in your eyes at the specified range, and i can see "fairly well" out to say 100 yds with it at night.

    If it was the size of a little Surefire i'd be very happy.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vicenza, Italy
    Posts
    210
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This:

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    792
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killface View Post
    Is wasn't serious of course but actually it does not work that bad as an conventional flashlight:


    The bigger problem is that the battery lasts only 10 minutes, making it a toy effectively.
    Does look like the beam can be made broad enough. Actually, battery life wouldn't matter much to me as long as its rechargeable, since I'd want to carry it mostly for SD in places where even a small pocket knife would be a problem. I have a small keychain light for when a small light is all I need.

    The bigger issue for me would be the size (not exactly unobtrusive), price and durability. For $300 I'd be a little worried about dropping it or getting it wet (plus, I guess it wouldn't be nearly as effective in the daytime).

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO