Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2013 2:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hilo, Hawaii Island

Any Hilo mas out there in Bullshido?

I moved from Puna to Hilo so I'm looking to work out and looking for a new school. I enjoyed Pahoa Kenpo Karate, and have dropped by a couple times, but it's 25 miles and can take up to an hour in rush hour to drive. So went from being a Punatic to a Townie and need a fun place to sweat. There are lots of schools here, but most are not advertised or listed anywhere and it's a lot searching and word of mouth to find anything.

I'm old, fat, injured and can still kick your fucking ass.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/27/2013 2:27pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You may want to look up Tobosa escrima. One of my training partners trained with the Tabosas on the big island and their stuff is good.

Posted On:
    11/28/2013 3:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have something against http://www.penntrainingandfitness.com/mma.html ?

I'd be there in a heartbeat if i were in Hilo.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/28/2013 9:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    You have something against http://www.penntrainingandfitness.com/mma.html ?

I'd be there in a heartbeat if i were in Hilo.
    So you're working out at UFC Gym BJ Penn downtown?

Been to BJ's gym twice - I'm not sure how I can fit in to their classes, maybe advanced standup or boxing, but I did meet Josh, one of the gym's mma fighters, who said he'd be happy to show me around and do one on one, sparring and such, so I'll be checking that out.

Two MT have been recommended, this one actually looks more like my kine:

I'm wary of any gung ho or chip on shoulder intructor and know that some classes would just be a gas out. Most schools accommodate to age and shape to a degree, but it can be awkward, embarrassing, and dangerous. Rolling is out as I've pretty much wrecked my shoulders. I can throw and throw punches OK, but landing is a real problem and chicken wings and such are no nos. So Judo and BJJ aren't realistic. On the mainland I did do some MMA which was everything except ground and that was good, of courset a gassout, and it is odd to be 30 to 45 years older.

And some TMA like strict Okinawan karate would expect you to follow such things as old fashioned weird warm ups. I'm spoiled, I've had enough seniority to excuse myself from idiotic things like starting with cold static stretches and then fucking jumping jacks. And a lot of Hawaiian Kempo schools do fighting drills as warmups, ground reversals to shrimping to eye stikes in the air or whatever. Hard to go back to bullshit. And I won't.

I realize that I don't want to be a white belt noob anymore - in Pahoa after two weeks, I was charged the fee to join the org and get a patch and then it was free as long as I helped teach. There was two or three bbs to spar and fought youngsters a bunch. So it was fun, relaxed, and plenty sweaty.

I remember years ago looking for a school with my 11 year old son. One was a good fighting school, every student about 18 to 25 year old males. Not a good fit. I like doing stand up with a variety.

Since I'm doing Hula at two Sr. rec centers I should just do Tai Chi with the old farts.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    11/28/2013 9:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    So you're working out at UFC Gym BJ Penn downtown?
    No, i don't live in downtown, and have too many other options and connections to make that a worthwhile choice.
    I don't think they are related to Penn Fitness aside from the BJ association, that said.

Been to BJ's gym twice - I'm not sure how I can fit in to their classes, maybe advanced standup or boxing, but I did meet Josh, one of the gym's mma fighters, who said he'd be happy to show me around and do one on one, sparring and such, so I'll be checking that out.
    Sounds good to me.

I'm wary of any gung ho or chip on shoulder intructor and know that some classes would just be a gas out. Most schools accommodate to age and shape to a degree, but it can be awkward, embarrassing, and dangerous. Rolling is out as I've pretty much wrecked my shoulders. I can throw and throw punches OK, but landing is a real problem and chicken wings and such are no nos. So Judo and BJJ aren't realistic. On the mainland I did do some MMA which was everything except ground and that was good, of courset a gassout, and it is odd to be 30 to 45 years older.
    My experiences with BJJ have been very accommodating in that regard; very little ego, relatively low impact, being able to tap...

I realize that I don't want to be a white belt noob anymore -...
    I don't get that sentiment.
    It's quite refreshing, and honest to do so.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/28/2013 9:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I know it's just ego tripping. And it's a big relief sometimes to not have to look like an advanced belt. That said it does bring some validation to have an instructor ask me to teach.

West Side BJJ in Ogden and Logan is a great place to work out, I got hurt anyway, another dislocation or separation would be easy to do and disastrous.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2013 2:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    You may want to look up Tobosa escrima. One of my training partners trained with the Tabosas on the big island and their stuff is good.
    The only link I've found is a school in Honolulu...