Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 5:34am

Style: Goju Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Someone training Karate in Thailand?

Hi Everyone,

My name is Cesar, and I am currently living in Thailand in a town called Nongbualamphu, itīs very near Udon Thani. I am a Goju Ryu practitioner and I am looking for someone to train with..it doesīt even have to be Karate, any style is ok with me, just want to train applications, looking for someone to work with, like a research exercise, based on reality, but I canīt do that in Muay Thai here as is very competition based (which I love also, by the way). So this is not applicable to a Muay Thai camp, as you go there for other reasons, mainly training to compete, and the training is very oriented to that.

So any style, if you are around and you are looking for someone to work on your techniques and strategies and to help someone to work on theirs, please, contact me through a private message. I follow the line of Masaji Taira sensei and also do some Kobudo.

Cheers

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 2:18pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're in Thailand and you are training Muay Thai? Why are you bothering with Goju-ryu?

Anything "competition related" in Muay Thai is infinitely more reality based than the entire Goju-ryu system. In fact pretty much all the main RSBD systems like Krav Maga use Muay Thai & Western Boxing as the basis of their striking.

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 3:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    In fact pretty much all the main RSBD systems like Krav Maga use Muay Thai & Western Boxing as the basis of their striking.
    Not sure I'd see KM and other RBSD as much of recommendation for any style, but to each their own.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 8:15pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to learn to fight, Muay Thai is going to be a great option. You might need to be more clear with your goals for recommendations. Is the competition aspect what you don't like about MT? Because learning to fight other skilled people is the best way to learn to fight. Check out the threads on Aliveness if you need more of an explanation.

But if your goals are more based in learning forms and patters and not contact sparring, then I can see why Muay Thai isn't ideal. Someone with better knowledge of Thai martial arts may weigh in but look into Muay Boran or Krabi Kabong if you want something that more closely resembles a "traditional" martial art in Thailand. But, really, Muay Thai is probably the highest quality and most widely available option.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 11:55pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, I was expecting some of this but not as much. ok, I will try to explain better.
    First I think the Goju ryu system at least as I practice it is very real, I invite anyone interested to check Masaji Taira's work, is vy impressive. In our group there are military , an ex-New york undercover cop, and a SWAT operative from Paris, so I can tell you we are not into what most people think about Karate.
    I want to do Goju because this is what I do and have been doing for all my life, it,s my thing, I am not a newbie and I have already tried many things, and still happy to train with different people in different arts, but I am Interested on develope the strategies that fit me, which are in Goju.
    It still surprises me that people care so much about the name of the style...frankly, the influence from Siamese boxing inOkinawan Karate is pretty clear to me, for me is everything the same, just changing the strategies and some training methods, but everything repeats itself once and again.
    I am not oing to the muay thai camp anymore for many reasons, but mainly is because I dont need it and I want to keep with my thing which is Goju. The difference between my dojo back home and Muay thai camps here is that there anyone could train what they wanted, while in a Muay thai camp, well, some things you just cant do, because everything is oriented to competition and competition rules. I am not a competitor, I am too old now and I have a sevee neck injury. I want to be able to use ashi barai for example or just be able to use my hands, which the gloves don,t permit.
    So my goal is not to start another style vs style thing, just looking for someone to train in a friendly environment, oriented to experiment, specially on tose things that dont happen in a ring, I preffer a Goju practitioner because will be on the same page when working bunkai, but I really dont care about the style, as the way we work with Taira sensei is not style oriented. So please, if someone is near, we can just grab a beer and talk more about it. If someone is far away and think that Being in Thailnad means only training Muay Thai...well, Ive been coming for 13 years and now living here and I can tell you there is more in martial arts than competition Muay...which again, I love and have the deepest of respects.
    Training outside the gym or the camp or your comfort zone is really rewarding, you don,t know how closed are thais with this kind of things...so anytime someone tell me to step IN the ring, my answer will be the same, why dont you step out?
    Last edited by ccamara; 11/25/2013 11:59pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 12:19am

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are saying two things here, and you should only be saying one thing.

First, you are saying that Goju is "real" because cops and military people do it.

Second, you are saying that you want to stick with what you have been doing because you like it.

Had you only said the second thing, you would have spared yourself the e-beating that is almost certainly about to commence. May God have mercy on your soul.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 12:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wanted to know If someone is near and willing to train, not to start any argument or anything, Just trying to give more info, and looking for a training partner, if someone wants to insult me or whatever I am really not into it.
    If someone is near and he is doing MMAA or wants to, we could meet, that's it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 10:14am

Style: Karate, w/ a side of judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm afraid I'm not really any help--I don't life in Thailand, or know anyone in Thailand, and I am a Shorin-Ryu practitioner, although I have learned Sanchin, Tensho, and Seiunchin and have cross-trained with Goju-Ryu people in the past. You would be welcome to train at my dojo if you're ever in Phoenix, AZ. I like Taira Sensei's work, although I disagree with some of his methodologies based on what little I know from videos and discussions online.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 11:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsumusha View Post
    I'm afraid I'm not really any help--I don't life in Thailand, or know anyone in Thailand, and I am a Shorin-Ryu practitioner, although I have learned Sanchin, Tensho, and Seiunchin and have cross-trained with Goju-Ryu people in the past. You would be welcome to train at my dojo if you're ever in Phoenix, AZ. I like Taira Sensei's work, although I disagree with some of his methodologies based on what little I know from videos and discussions online.
    Thank you for your reply, sad that we are so far away...the same goes for you if you ever come to NorthEast Thailand, you will be welcome.
    Taira's sensei;s work has to be felt and seen live, to really get a nice feedback, there are very good sensei's in the states that follow his work and organice seminars with him, if you evre want to try, the style you practice is not really that important. There is a sensei in Iowa, he also trains with Taira sensei and is a very nice fella if you ever want to contact him I could give you his name on a private; I think they did a seminar with sensei last year there. I am really looking for an Uke here :(

Cheers
    Last edited by ccamara; 11/26/2013 11:40pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2013 9:05am

Style: ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccamara View Post
    Thank you for your reply, sad that we are so far away...the same goes for you if you ever come to NorthEast Thailand, you will be welcome.
    Taira's sensei;s work has to be felt and seen live, to really get a nice feedback, there are very good sensei's in the states that follow his work and organice seminars with him, if you evre want to try, the style you practice is not really that important. There is a sensei in Iowa, he also trains with Taira sensei and is a very nice fella if you ever want to contact him I could give you his name on a private; I think they did a seminar with sensei last year there. I am really looking for an Uke here :(

Cheers
    Your place is really close to the northern border of thailand, only place I know of that are Karate is in Bangkok, namely Kyokushin of IKO-Matsui by one of my seniors.

If you are ever near the south of Thailand you can check it out.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast