Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/24/2013 10:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

mms training/strength

I'm about to start training for mma. I will be a heavyweight at first, but plan on dropping to light heavy. What is a good level of strength for those weight classes? Should I have a certain bench? I understand that endurance will be a factor, but right now I'm concerned with peak strength. All advice is welcome. Thanks.

Posted On:
    11/24/2013 11:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    typo on thread title. I meant MMA

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 3:17am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not an expert. However, if you are a beginner, not a trained fighter, than worry more on getting to a good weight first by proper diet, and train easy and often.
    I have never heard of a standard level of weight lifting a fighter needs to reach. The training method changes from fighting school to another. Some lift heavy, some do more cross fit stile training. If you joined a good fighting team, than you can compare yourself to the fighters.
    I would worry more about my cardio level, my speed and my technique, whey before my pick bench press.
    If you do need to compare yourself, than there are a ton of clips on youtube or groups on FB of people training for the cross fit games...They have a godzillion training clips that tell you what weight you need to be working with, and how many times you need to do the exercise per time. IMO if you lift, a more cross fit oriented regime is the way to go to become a strong fit fighter.
    Have a good day, and if you can't find the stuff i told you about i can direct you to a friend of mine that competes or just get some links from him.

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 9:37am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry what weight are you looking at exactly.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 2:15pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are no standards, and strength varies wildly amongst fighters. Something to take into account as well is that raw strength is less important than power. Basically, you don't push heavy weights slowly in a fight. There are some really strong dudes who can't fight a lick. With that being said if you can fight, getting stronger can help to increase your power.

A loose rule of thumb for being strong enough is to be able to bench your weight. If you're a heavyweight at say 230 and you can benchpress 230, you're not terribly weak. You are not overly strong by any stretch, but that is certainly passable. Now obviously, if you get your bench up to 230, then get your weight down to 205 to fight at light-heavy, all the better.

Honestly with regards to explosive power, I'd look into getting some coaching on cleans. It applies a lot more directly to fighting than bench does. I'd also say that squats and maybe deadlifts might be more important for functional fight strength and staying power in latter rounds than bench does.

Posted On:
    11/27/2013 12:31am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm currently a heavyweight.