...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    11/29/2013 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New Jersey mandates biometric safety?

So, CNN seems to be reporting that New Jersey has a biometic safety law.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/23/us/new...iref=obnetwork

A gun law passed by the New Jersey legislature more than a decade ago may be set into motion as tech savvy gun makers get closer to being able to sell so-called smart guns in the United States.

The idea behind this firearms technology is to create "personalized" guns that only fire in the right hands -- whether by recognizing a certain signal from a watch, a ring or even just the right grip.

The New Jersey law is the only one of its kind in the United States. It requires that within three years of the technology being available, only smart guns be sold in the state.
    Besides for concerns about reliability, the obvious downside that I feel some people might not consider is what if the original user is killed in a home invasion scenario and his wife or someone else in the house at the time needs to pick up the firearm and keep fighting? Biometric safety seems like a terrible idea for that situation.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    11/30/2013 2:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can't ban something outright, legislate it out of existence piecemeal. I hate this state, can't wait to GTFO.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    11/30/2013 2:57pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    Besides for concerns about reliability, the obvious downside that I feel some people might not consider is what if the original user is killed in a home invasion scenario and his wife or someone else in the house at the time needs to pick up the firearm and keep fighting? Biometric safety seems like a terrible idea for that situation.
    Interesting point. My primary concerns would be reliability and readiness. The firearm would likely need batteries, to be switched on, etc. Batteries fail, weaken, and discharge--one more thing to worry about. Switching something on requires fine motor skills and in a stressful situation, is one more thing to think about.

I would have never gotten past that, but if my family is at home and I am not, my gun would be useless to them.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2013 5:49pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, remember reading about this more than a decade ago.

**** will probably happen at some point. It will not bode well.

Next will come hackers to crack stolen firearms.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    11/30/2013 6:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    I would have never gotten past that, but if my family is at home and I am not, my gun would be useless to them.
    Surely the gizmo could recognise more than one grip/key/whatever

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/01/2013 1:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This law really sucks. I can see the worth of such weapons to LEOs, or to select people who have children at home, but to require it of all firearms sold is ridiculous. If I have to use my pistol under high adrenaline conditions, having lost much of my fine motor coordination, I don't want to have to try to get just the right grip, or make sure I'm wearing the right magnetic ring, or wash my hands so it'll read my fingerprint. And will that be after I take the required trigger lock off?

Its tempting to think that going along with this scheme will appease the anti gun crowd, but really, they will not give up until all the guns are gone, no matter what.