Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 2:31pm

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to FBI statistics for 2010 (last available), of 3727 reported crimes motivated by racial bias, 69.8% were motivated by anti black bias, and 18.2% stemmed from anti white bias.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...s-and-offenses

So let's pause before we buy into the latest fearmongering by the media.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 2:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    According to FBI statistics for 2010 (last available), of 3727 reported crimes motivated by racial bias, 69.8% were motivated by anti black bias, and 18.2% stemmed from anti white bias.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...s-and-offenses

So let's pause before we buy into the latest fearmongering by the media.

Meh. It's got to be considered a hate crime in the first place to fall into those statistics and black on white crime is less likely to be labeled a hate crime.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 2:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Meh. It's got to be considered a hate crime in the first place to fall into those statistics and black on white crime is less likely to be labeled a hate crime.
    You may be right, I'm not sure who decides whether its a hate crime -- I'd have to spend some time looking that up -- but even if black on white crime is underreported, I think a ratio of 4 white on black vs. 1 black on white casts doubt on the idea that an epidemic of black on white crime is suddenly sweeping the nation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 3:01pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Came in here to post this. Stories like this just make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 3:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing we can all agree on: a .40 cal. pistol beats a stun gun hands down. This kid was lucky he only got shot in the ass.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 3:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    Came in here to post this. Stories like this just make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
    Stories where someone successfully uses a lawfully carried gun for self defense always make me feel warm and fuzzy. Particularly when its my favorite caliber.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 3:11pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    You may be right, I'm not sure who decides whether its a hate crime -- I'd have to spend some time looking that up -- but even if black on white crime is underreported, I think a ratio of 4 white on black vs. 1 black on white casts doubt on the idea that an epidemic of black on white crime is suddenly sweeping the nation.
    Blacks are much, much more likely to commit a violent crime against a white person than vice versa. That's just a fact. No need to sugar coat it. The same fbi.gov statistics you're pointing to spell that out. Let's look at murders.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...10shrtbl06.xls

Both whites and blacks are much more likely to be murdered by people of their own race. However, regarding murders across races between blacks and whites it plays out like this:

White victim, black offender - 447.
    Black victim, white offender - 218.

447 / 3,327 total = 13%
    218 / 2,720 total = 8%

13 / 8 = 1.63. That's the rate of black on white murder vs white on black murder. That's a huge difference, especially considering that blacks only make up about 14% of the U.S. population.

Now, you can read into that however you like as far as "hate crimes" go, but if someone murders me, I'm just going to go right ahead and assume they hate me.

Edit: Actually, my statement "especially considering that blacks only make up 14% of the U.S. population" is probably not fair. They're a smaller percentage of the population committing more murders but the flip side is that there are fewer black people to potentially be murdered by whites. Nevertheless, there's still a discrepancy.
    Last edited by Devil; 11/25/2013 3:21pm at .

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 3:38pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excluding other races, blacks murder whites 15% of the time, but whites murder blacks 7% of the time. But there are over 6 times as many white targets as black. How is there a discrepancy? If anything, it's the other way.

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 3:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Excluding other races, blacks murder whites 15% of the time, but whites murder blacks 7% of the time. But there are over 6 times as many white targets as black. How is there a discrepancy? If anything, it's the other way.
    There are more white targets but also fewer potential black offenders. That's why the population size difference is a wash.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 3:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Now, you can read into that however you like as far as "hate crimes" go, but if someone murders me, I'm just going to go right ahead and assume they hate me.
    The stats you cite include felony murder, i.e., a homicide committed during the course of a felony such as robbery, burglarly, rape, etc. I dont think anyone would be surprised to hear that an economically disadvantaged group commits more crimes proportionally per capita against a higher income group, and that those crimes lead to a higher rate of death resulting. In other words, if someone murders you it doesnt necessarily mean that they hate you, maybe they just want your smartphone, and maybe they'll let you live if you throw it at them and run.

But what the media is putting across is that the black on white assaults are motivated by hate. Sure, dead is dead as far as the victim is concerned, but for the public, crime driven by blind hatred is more viscerally frightening, because there's much less chance of predicting it or preventing it, and the people who commit hate crimes can more readily be labeled monsters. Those stories make more profit from advertising revenues, but they are not based on the facts.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast