Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2013 3:06pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally think that the kerambit is on a par with the nunchaku , in that it seems to be able do more damage to the user than the intended "object of it's intention".

I am also hearing that, like the nunchaku in the 60's & 70's it is getting too much unwanted publicity and is being subsequently outlawed in several jurisdictions.

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    11/24/2013 3:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blindside View Post
    You aren't getting mine. That said kerambit has always been a minor subset of the knife curriculum. I use it to illustrate hooking slashes and to train officers who have it for an offside carry. I do find this an odd declaration, Tuhon Rommel teaches kerambit/lugod regularly.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    He spent a a few hours on it at the last joint workshop weekend he did with Ron.

16:46 In this video:
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Posted On:
    11/24/2013 5:20pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddels View Post
    I personally think that the kerambit is on a par with the nunchaku , in that it seems to be able do more damage to the user than the intended "object of it's intention".
    I would say that's more because people think that because they can twirl it, using the loop, that they should - which is pretty much the problem with nunchaku too.

Really, people, it's a knife; it cuts things. Stop overthinking it.

Posted On:
    11/24/2013 5:41pm

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddels View Post

I am also hearing that, like the nunchaku in the 60's & 70's it is getting too much unwanted publicity and is being subsequently outlawed in several jurisdictions.
    Probably a fair argument. Chili Pepper also has a good point. Personally, I think the karambit is good to experiment with every now and then and if knives are your hobby naturally you'll like them(karambit). That said I think the karambit limits your angle of attack, and limits your ability to execute a quick stab with either grip. IN addition, should you have to use your weapon to defend yourself and the law gets involved the fancier the blade the more explaining you might have to do. To a cop a knife is a knife but to a jury it's a different story.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 11:31am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being told not to train the karambit makes me want to train it even more! Now PTK can have an underground karambit society. How cool is that!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 11:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Probably a fair argument. Chili Pepper also has a good point. Personally, I think the karambit is good to experiment with every now and then and if knives are your hobby naturally you'll like them(karambit). That said I think the karambit limits your angle of attack, and limits your ability to execute a quick stab with either grip. IN addition, should you have to use your weapon to defend yourself and the law gets involved the fancier the blade the more explaining you might have to do. To a cop a knife is a knife but to a jury it's a different story.
    I know nothing about Karambits other than what I've seen discussed on Bullshido.

I was thinking along the lines of your last thought, though. Something so wicked looking kinda oozes bad vibes. Carrying a specialized weapon implies specialized purpose and intent to most non-weapon aware people. Similar perhaps to the whole "assault weapon" thing.

I had a guy in court show up with a tanto bladed knife mounted upside down in a quick release holster. For a divorce pretrial hearing...

He claimed it was his "work knife".

Yeah, right...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2013 4:11am

Style: FCS,Inosanto/Lacoste Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My system has a heavy emphasis on the Kerambit (FCS Kali...Tuhon Ray loves them).

We are always taught that it is used for some of our most nasty(and fun) techniques. Whereas most regular blades can have a legit purpose but by nature of the attributes of the blade be used for offense/defense...the kerambit seems to be all offense(and very visceral at that). I remember a particular class on christmas that was all sentry removal with kerambit/tomahawk/sarong(all similar in technique). There was not a less-than-lethal option for those exercises. (except the sarong).

Posted On:
    12/13/2013 8:04am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I frankly don't see how this is going to work out, since damn near every person I've met who does Pekiti does some sort of silat or kuntao on the side. Hell i'm pretty sure the Mastery camp did a kerambit (or whatever it's called in vasayan) unit a few years back

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/13/2013 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Geez, what's with PTK and their ominous declarations?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/13/2013 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I vaguely recall rumors that the 9/11 hijackers were armed with a karambit, but it was described as a box cutter by someone who wasn't familiar with the weapon. Anyone else hear this?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast