Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/03/2013 7:51pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Long story short: if you are throwing someone and landing in "perfect" side control, then promptly getting bridged and reversed then you didn't actually land in perfect side control. Or your training partners are strong as ballz. Either way assume you will have to adjust your position slightly (like blackmonk said, think of hip position) when you hit the ground.
    It's a common beginner mistake to try to fix that initial position into the ideal hold they've been taught, but lose the hold in that transition. You won't likely be perfect, take what you've got, maintain pressure and fix it carefully if you have to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2013 11:21pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    It's a common beginner mistake to try to fix that initial position into the ideal hold they've been taught, but lose the hold in that transition. You won't likely be perfect, take what you've got, maintain pressure and fix it carefully if you have to.
    That's a much better way of describing what I mean. I don't mean I land in x position but because it isn't textbook kesa gatame I move everything. Just adjust my position slightly to make sure I am not out of position and easy to reverse/lose the position. But lets be honest, since I am still a beginner I am more than likely making beginner mistakes pretty often.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2013 2:05pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, throw-to-groundwork transitioning is painfully lacking in most grappling. I get the drop on guys there a lot.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2013 5:34pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all for the advice. I got a chance to work this and a couple other issues out today in class.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 5:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    O Goshi can land tori in perfect side control, though. The underhook O Goshi gives you is key to maintaining the position.

Edit: One issue I have had against more experienced grapplers--usually wrestlers--is that when/if I throw them, they bridge as soon as they hit the ground and end up in dominant position. Is there a good position to land in that makes this harder for uke to accomplish?
    They will eventually get injured doing that when someone keeps body contact and crushes them into the ground.

If they end up in a dominant position (on top ?) then you did something not so good in maintaining control.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 5:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    Pins are probably the strongest part of my game right now... Cool in a way, unfortunate in another. Naszir and I did a seminar on pinning at an MMA school a while back, and it was well-received.

I talk about it in another thread, or maybe my training log.
    In terms of "position before submission" it makes perfect sense. Pinning is all about control. Control is good, on the ground, in the air, and transition.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 6:32pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My knowledge of the rules is certainly not referee level but isn't there something in the new rules about landing in a bridge position being considered Ippon

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickosaurus View Post
    My knowledge of the rules is certainly not referee level but isn't there something in the new rules about landing in a bridge position being considered Ippon
    Yeah, before if you bridged then you might get away with not having the ippon called. Now it won't stop it. It's one of the few recent rules I agree with. Let's all stop trying to break our necks to avoid losing a match.

I also like that this is balanced with a rule addressing over-rotation. Now you have to aim that guy's back at the mats and plant it. If you over cook it, tough luck. If he tries to bridge out of it, it's no use to him.

If only I could do a leg grab. Judo would be the bestest.

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 7:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Quoted for truth...the basic pin forms are there to show a specific principle of "immobilization" (oseakomi), and practice in isolation.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 10:04pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickosaurus View Post
    Yes. Saw it in a tournament that we just hosted.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345