Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 4:14am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also like Koshi Guruma compared to O Goshi. Similar, but the different grip works for me too (fellow tall guy). Most instructors I have had have steered my toward uchi mata, tai otoshi, and uchi mata because of my height.

Which should also make the point that NeilG made: your instructors will steer you where you need to go. Listen to them, they will be better equipped to tell you what is working for than a bunch of guys on the internet.

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 10:38am

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    I also like Koshi Guruma compared to O Goshi. Similar, but the different grip works for me too (fellow tall guy). Most instructors I have had have steered my toward uchi mata, tai otoshi, and uchi mata because of my height.
    Uchi mata and uchi mata, huh? Do you favor one over the other?

Which should also make the point that NeilG made: your instructors will steer you where you need to go. Listen to them, they will be better equipped to tell you what is working for than a bunch of guys on the internet.
    I thought this might give me a little bit of a base to discuss this issue with my coach, instead of just "Hey, hip throwz??" This thread has provided just that for me, so thank you all.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 2:35pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Uchi mata and uchi mata, huh? Do you favor one over the other?

I thought this might give me a little bit of a base to discuss this issue with my coach, instead of just "Hey, hip throwz??" This thread has provided just that for me, so thank you all.
    They reaaaaaaaally want me to do uchi mata.

Just kidding, I meant Harai Goshi and Uchi Mata.

And this thread gave me some things to think about to, frankly, so good on yah. If you find yourself getting the head and arm or wrist control with an arm around the neck/across the back Koshi Guruma is an option.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/25/2013 7:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    So under a half-year of recreational twice/week practice? You're lucky to pull off a good fart in shiai. Stick to what your sensei are teaching you and ignore the peanut gallery here.
    Good advice for sure.

If you are primarily interested in no - gi stuff, then you should focus on that, or applications of Judo that your coaches teach.

Usually, it takes a while to get good at Judo. Once you are good at it, then moving to no gi is not as difficult. Judo was designed to be learned using the jacket and pants, so you are kind of handicapped learning it with no uniform.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 5:17am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really want to set off a discussion into throw classification but Uchi Mata isn't a hip throw either although some variations have more hip than others. I think its always good for an individual to be thinking about their own Judo but a beginner does need the guidance of a coach/Sensei.

To the OP at the 6 month mark of Judo I about do Osoto if I had a weight advantage and my skill disadvantage wasn't too great. I spent a lot of time trying different things, but I wished I had worked working on throws from a similar grip.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 9:10am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickosaurus View Post
    I don't really want to set off a discussion into throw classification but Uchi Mata isn't a hip throw either although some variations have more hip than others.
    i don't know what you're talking about, semantic arguments about the classification of throws based on their japanese names is the single most important aspect of judo! now let's get back to the drop seoi nage/seoi otoshi conversation!

/sarcasm
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 10:28am

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    If you are primarily interested in no - gi stuff, then you should focus on that, or applications of Judo that your coaches teach.

Usually, it takes a while to get good at Judo. Once you are good at it, then moving to no gi is not as difficult. Judo was designed to be learned using the jacket and pants, so you are kind of handicapped learning it with no uniform.
    No-Gi is by far my primary focus. I've been training in the gi, on average, once a month. All the throws I have mentioned are taught without the gi as well as with the gi at my club.

I don't really want to set off a discussion into throw classification but Uchi Mata isn't a hip throw either although some variations have more hip than others. I think its always good for an individual to be thinking about their own Judo but a beginner does need the guidance of a coach/Sensei.

To the OP at the 6 month mark of Judo I about do Osoto if I had a weight advantage and my skill disadvantage wasn't too great. I spent a lot of time trying different things, but I wished I had worked working on throws from a similar grip.
    Meh. I hate O Soto Gari. I feel like this is a throw for more advanced judoka. It's easy to pull off, but if you're in position for the throw, then so is uke.

I toy with different throws as often as I feel I can, but sometimes it's hard for me to step out of my comfort zone/think to go for throws I haven't drilled much. As surprising as it may be with my time in sport, I actually do have a base game, so I tend to just work combos off what already works, albeit not always successfully.
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 10:32am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Meh. I hate O Soto Gari. I feel like this is a throw for more advanced judoka. It's easy to pull off, but if you're in position for the throw, then so is uke.
    If you're in position for the throw, uke is not in position for it. If you screw up the entry and don't take his balance, then yeah. Google yourself some Yamashita, he's got a lot of cool variaitons.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 6:55pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't know what you're talking about, semantic arguments about the classification of throws based on their japanese names is the single most important aspect of judo! now let's get back to the drop seoi nage/seoi otoshi conversation!

/sarcasm
    Already had the terminology slam of the month when after thinking I have been doing Osoto Gari to have it pointed out that I actually do osoto gake 9 time out of time.

I was lucky/unlucky in my early days of attempting Osoto to have a national level player who would counter me every time I didn't take his balance, pointing out what I was doing wrong.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/26/2013 7:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Already had the terminology slam of the month when after thinking I have been doing Osoto Gari to have it pointed out that I actually do osoto gake 9 time out of time.

I was lucky/unlucky in my early days of attempting Osoto to have a national level player who would counter me every time I didn't take his balance, pointing out what I was doing wrong.
    You know there is not really a throw in Judo called "Osoto Gake", right.

So you were really doing a crappy Osoto Gari all along. Or maybe Osoto Otoshi.
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast