Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Glima (Viking wrestling)

Just found out about Glima today. It's a Viking wrestling system with an apparently unbroken lineage. The videos below are loose grip Glima, there's 3 other styles which I haven't looked in to yet.

They encourage BJJ practioners, wrestlers and judoka to participate in their tournaments so must be pretty confident in their skills.

The most unusual thing about it is how you win.

You win by taking your opponent to the ground and getting to your feet and away to a safe distance which is a really great skill for self defence.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm....
    I always thought that Viking wrestling was belt wrestling, going for the throw to win.
    Much like Mongol wrestling, Korean Ssireum, and Sumo.
    In some of the Norse myth poems,
    we are told that when Thor grappled the Crone in the Hall of UtGard-Loki,
    the match was decided when the Crone
    (who was really Death Disguised by UtGard-Loki to look like an Old Woman)
    forced Thor to one knee to win the match.

Style
    HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Hmmm....
    I always thought that Viking wrestling was belt wrestling, going for the throw to win.
    Much like Mongol wrestling, Korean Ssireum, and Sumo.
    In some of the Norse myth poems,
    we are told that when Thor grappled the Crone in the Hall of UtGard-Loki,
    the match was decided when the Crone
    (who was really Death Disguised by UtGard-Loki to look like an Old Woman)
    forced Thor to one knee to win the match.
    Belt wrestling is another style of Glima.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I looked up what you are talking about.
    I think you will find that belt wrestling for throws
    was probably the most documented form of Viking wrestling.
    But, "in the last generation", Lausatök, a form of Viking submission grappling has been "resurrected".
    Now, I am by no means a Viking history scholar,
    but I am a wrestling history geek,
    and while I have read and seen quite a bit of literature on ancient Viking belt wrestling,
    I had never heard of this Norwegian Lausatök before you brought it up.
    I have been to Norway, but I wasn't looking for Lausatök because I was not aware of Lausatök or I would have asked my hosts if they knew of it.
    The Irish had Collar and Elbow wrestling which had its holds and dirty tricks,
    and Dublin was started as a Viking slave port,
    so....maybe?
    I don't know.
    It's interesting, and I will begin non-prioritized research to see if I come across any references in historical texts to Lausatök with details
    that document that it used choke holds and joint locks as part of the sporting custom.
    I frankly had never heard of it because it is the belt wrestling that comes up so often in Viking poems.
    But, on the other hand it *never* surprises me to hear that there is some form of local submission wrestling.
    The American Colonies had "scuffle bees" with jacket and non-jacket wrestling with throws, pins, and submissions,
    and I have seen pictures of ancient greek vases that depict submission holds that Jiu-Jitsu people claim were invented in 20th century Brazil.
    So, could be. But I had never heard of Viking submission hold wrestling until this post.
    Last edited by WFMurphyPhD; 5/04/2016 9:29pm at .

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have heard of the belt wrestling but not any sort of submission wrestling as well, while I think one might be able to make the unbroken claim on the belt wrestling the submission grappling certainly looks more um well yeah
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've also only heard of Glima as a belt wrestling style. Iceland's national sport is a belt wrestling style simply called Glima.

Style
    BJJ,(kick)boxing,JJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    funny you bring this up, I had myself been wondering how approaches to combat would change under a ruleset where victory is achieved by throwing/knocking and opponent down and escaping to some distance before they regain their feet.

Another thing I had been wondering about is the self defense applications of rugby.

The thoughts are clearly not unrelated.

Style
    HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guird View Post
    funny you bring this up, I had myself been wondering how approaches to combat would change under a ruleset where victory is achieved by throwing/knocking and opponent down and escaping to some distance before they regain their feet.

Another thing I had been wondering about is the self defense applications of rugby.

The thoughts are clearly not unrelated.
    I think it's a really good victory condition. In hindsight I'm surprised there's no other martial arts which work like that (that I'm aware of at least).

I'm sure rugby is great for take down defence, toughness and overall athleticism. Rugby players may well have a better base to start learning grappling than any other field sport but it still doesn't mean they're automatically going to do well grappling.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Giant View Post
    I think it's a really good victory condition. In hindsight I'm surprised there's no other martial arts which work like that (that I'm aware of at least).
    If you wanna learn to fight you learn Sambo, Bjj, Wrestling, kickboxing, boxing or Judo. If you wanna learn to run from a fight you take french classes.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last