Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2013 2:18pm

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Roy Elghanayan - Krav Maga

Hi folks

Sorry if this is the wrong place - I took a wild guess. If this is the wrong forum, let me know the right one and I'll move it there.

A buddy of mine is looking to hire Roy Elghanayan to do a Krav Maga seminar.

I'm wondering if anyone's been to one of his seminars or trained with him or something...

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/20/2013 2:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by juszczec View Post
    Hi folks

Sorry if this is the wrong place - I took a wild guess. If this is the wrong forum, let me know the right one and I'll move it there.

A buddy of mine is looking to hire Roy Elghanayan to do a Krav Maga seminar.

I'm wondering if anyone's been to one of his seminars or trained with him or something...
    Yes, it is in the completely wrong place, ARMORY.

How about a link to a web site or something as well ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2013 2:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, it says "Self Defense"

Here's a link -

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/20/2013 2:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by juszczec View Post
    Well, it says "Self Defense"

Here's a link -
    He appears to be a well coordinated person.

Have you or your "friend" googled Mr. Elghanayan's name and perchance glanced at his website ? That might be a standard way for you to get information about him.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    11/20/2013 7:39pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From someone who knows just next to nothing about Krav, this looks like several well choreographed self-defense sets. Appears to incorporate lots of Aikido, some Tae Kwon Do kicking and a little JJJ. The compliant attacker takes all of the fun out of it for me.

Posted On:
    11/21/2013 1:56am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked him up here in Israel.
    He isdefinitely not a big name in Israel. Tried to google and FB his name in hebrew..only two results that you can see already (the demo stuff).
    Either he lives and made his name where you live, or i don't see why you got him.
    But as far as Krav Maga goes, he seems ok. You need to find out what other crosses he has. Either he grapples in a high level or strikes..if he doesn't cross train (a lot) with a fighting sport.....well he is a *****, and pussies can't be good MAists :)
    The fact that he was a Krav Maga instructor in the Army don't mean too much. They have a specific Army curriculum that isn't necessary what you need.
    I can't stress enough how important it is to have a KM guy that cross trains intensively. That will keep him grounded with the techniques he teaches, and focused on an alive method of training.
    Last edited by erezb; 11/21/2013 2:36am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2013 7:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    He appears to be a well coordinated person.

Have you or your "friend" googled Mr. Elghanayan's name and perchance glanced at his website ? That might be a standard way for you to get information about him.
    I googled him. I think my buddy has only spoken to him on the phone.

I found little to nothing in terms of reviews and most (if not all) hits were self promotion type stuff.

The vid seems to show off his talents as a "fight choreographer" which he advertises himself as which raised the 1st red flag for me. Fight choreographer AND deadly Krav Maga instructor? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

However, I've got a tendency to be too much the skeptic so I thought I'd ask for other opinions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2013 7:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    From someone who knows just next to nothing about Krav, this looks like several well choreographed self-defense sets. Appears to incorporate lots of Aikido, some Tae Kwon Do kicking and a little JJJ. The compliant attacker takes all of the fun out of it for me.
    Agreed. It seems a better ad for the guy's fight choreography/acrobatic skills. Not so much for someone who's gonna teach my neighbor's wife how to escape a rapist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2013 8:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    I looked him up here in Israel.
    He isdefinitely not a big name in Israel. Tried to google and FB his name in hebrew..only two results that you can see already (the demo stuff).
    Either he lives and made his name where you live, or i don't see why you got him.
    But as far as Krav Maga goes, he seems ok. You need to find out what other crosses he has. Either he grapples in a high level or strikes..if he doesn't cross train (a lot) with a fighting sport.....well he is a *****, and pussies can't be good MAists :)
    The fact that he was a Krav Maga instructor in the Army don't mean too much. They have a specific Army curriculum that isn't necessary what you need.
    I can't stress enough how important it is to have a KM guy that cross trains intensively. That will keep him grounded with the techniques he teaches, and focused on an alive method of training.
    This is what I was really hoping for. Someone who could look him up in Israel, where he says he worked.

I have no idea how my buddy came across this guy. I know he's in Los Angeles. I saw the vid; it raised a whole lot of questions for me; i didn't get any answers but wanted to be thorough.

Given the state of Krav in the US - he strikes me as someone who may be cashing in on the Krav mystique. Yeah, he's got skills but he's couching them in terms of being a "former Israeli army instructor" and using that to justify a gigantic fee.

That was my suspicion - I came here to make sure I wasn't rushing to judgement.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2013 8:34am

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep looks like a ' hey hollywood' promo to me. I wonder what his 'counter terrorism' expertise is? He's watched all the seasons of '24' or something..?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast