Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/13/2014 10:09pm

Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mastering Lay-And-Pray

A few weeks ago while rolling, I sat in side control for three minutes at which point the instructor told me "for ****'s sake improve your position". At his urging I tried to step over to mount, at which point I got swept. This led me to conclude that lay and pray is a superior technique. Then during class yesterday, we rolled, but only for position. No submissions. Best training day in awhile. I just got to lay on top of someone for five minutes. At this point I am convinced that lay and pray is the ultimate technique. How can I further improve my ability to stall and sit on top of people without actually exposing myself to counters? What can I do to improve my chance of winning an Underground Pitfighting title?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2014 11:35pm

Style: Getting less fat

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    A few weeks ago while rolling, I sat in side control for three minutes at which point the instructor told me "for ****'s sake improve your position". At his urging I tried to step over to mount, at which point I got swept. This led me to conclude that lay and pray is a superior technique. Then during class yesterday, we rolled, but only for position. No submissions. Best training day in awhile. I just got to lay on top of someone for five minutes. At this point I am convinced that lay and pray is the ultimate technique. How can I further improve my ability to stall and sit on top of people without actually exposing myself to counters? What can I do to improve my chance of winning an Underground Pitfighting title?
    First, get a better nickname. Every time I read ghost55 I think "What a fucking *****!"

Next, develop explosive takedowns, you fucking *****.

Lastly, stop being a fucking *****, you fucking *****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2014 11:38pm

Style: Kyokushin

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carbohydrates. Lots of empty carbohydrates.

Or be like me and end up with metabolic failure. Same result, ultimately.

Posted On:
    12/14/2014 3:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't, Lay and Pray is a fucking stupid idea.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2014 8:29am

Style: Hawaiian Kempo, MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
    Carbohydrates. Lots of empty carbohydrates.

Or be like me and end up with metabolic failure. Same result, ultimately.
    This. You can smother them afterwards with the grotesque amount of fat you accumulated during your training trips to the mall food court.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2014 8:48am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Galope View Post
    This. You can smother them afterwards with the grotesque amount of fat you accumulated during your training trips to the mall food court.
    don't joke about that, I still have nightmares breathing in the sweat, flab, and hair of guys just chillaxing on my face in modified kesa gatame.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2014 8:50am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually was probably side hold down

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2014 8:59am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How can I further improve my ability to stall and sit on top of people without actually exposing myself to counters?
    Delta Jackson takes off his glasses and thumbs the bridge of his nose.

Delta Jackson: Two words: Pressure and balance. When you're putting the lay on someone, you need to DRIVE his body into the ground. Don't just limply flop on him like you're taking a nap. That might work on him if you're fat enough, but if you really want to make him suffer you need to put your legs and ass into the equation. He needs to feel MORE than just your dead weight. You need to put so much chest pressure on him that he can make a snow angel in the concrete. Your opponent isn't just a piece of meat inside a sandwich but rather a chunk of wood caught in a VICE, the jaws of which comprise of you and planet Earth.

On the subject of balance, there are a couple basic drills you can do as a novice that can help you gain a sense of equilibrium on the ground. One of my favorites involves climbing on top of a big ol' exercise ball with just your knees and clamoring around it without touching the ground. It helps you get used to holding steady onto a surface that both moves and conforms to the contours of your body. The other drill is simple spinning: Have someone get in turtle position and just spin around on his back for a few minutes, switching directions every so often on your coach's command. This is more of a conditioning exercise than anything, but I still think it helps foster basic principles of chest pressure and balance.

There are little things you can do to make your enemy suffer more when he's caught in the grind. For instance, have you ever heard of The Song That Gets On Everybody's Nerves?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Just whisper that into his ear the whole time you're laying on him. Yeah, even in training.

Posted On:
    12/14/2014 4:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shoulder of justice!

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BACHIBOUZOUK!!... BOIS-SANS-SOIF!!!

Posted On:
    12/15/2014 1:08am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drive your chin into his ribs.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast