Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... Last

Style
    Wing Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing Chun Fight Club

Knowing how much you all love Wing Chun I have started this thread taken from another post just interested in what the general thoughts are across the forum?

www.wingchunfightclub.org/joomla/index.php

My first reaction was a a bit of concern that it was taking us back to the 80's when there was a lot of 'challenges' in the UK and may lead to nothing more than Wing Chun "Happy Slappers", ie. have a mate with your mobile handy while you smack some inadequate wannabe martial artist/fighter/boxer/thug.

It has however slightly changed since becoming a site in its own right and is looking to offer a platform for discussion about how we can gain Wing Chun some respect back that has been lost in recent years.

Its aims seem to look to earn rather than demand respect and for that even though I have my concerns voiced at times with tongue in cheek in the thread http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=47510&page=10 I applaud their endeavour and mirror their basic philosophy.

Style
    (Beautiful) Spring Roll
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjwingchun
    I applaud their endeavour and mirror their basic philosophy.
    Well maybe I just didn't spend enough time on their website, but I didn't find any videos. Did you? Or are videos only for members? That would negate the meaning of the site though, I guess... Or do you know these guys personally? Have you seen them in a fight/trained/sparred with them?
    Tonuzaba

Style
    Wing Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba
    Well maybe I just didn't spend enough time on their website, but I didn't find any videos. Did you? Or are videos only for members? That would negate the meaning of the site though, I guess... Or do you know these guys personally? Have you seen them in a fight/trained/sparred with them?
    Tonuzaba
    The site is very young, I assume the videos will be forthcoming, I think the original idea was for it to be 'members' only but they now wish to make it 'OPEN'.

Don't know the founder, though I do have an ex-student who is a member as he is part of the Alan Orr set up, I saw Alex's first fight and he trained/sparred(non-compliant chi sau) with me on and off for over 10 years.

I am awaiting the developments to see how things go, so sorry that I have not any detailed information at this time, I am sure there will be others better in the know to tell you what is happening on the site. Just thought I would make people aware of it.

Style
    BJJ, Wing Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure there will be some videos posted sooner or later. As tjwingchun said, the site is just getting off of the ground.

A fight club member just won his first MMA fight on Saturday night, so we'll post that as soon as it is available. Unfortunately that video isn't going to be very good for convincing anyone that wing chun is the perfect art for a smaller person since he is 6'6'' and 305 lbs! :) He won the fight in 25 seconds.

The site is a great place for discussion, especially about the state of wing chun in the world today...but more than that for me the site represents an attempt to encourage people to actually fight w/ wing chun...something that seems to be lost to many wing chun students today.

Style
    (Beautiful) Spring Roll
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looking forward to that.
    Tonuzaba

Style
    No gym currently.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjwingchun
    just interested in what the general thoughts are across the forum?
    My main though is that no matter how hard you defend Wing Chun, posting in the "MA Bullshit, Fraud and Investigations" forum insinuates you have doubts about the credibility and validity of your art.
    This would have been far better posted in YMAS - the general martial arts forum.

Unless you think something about the link you posted (or the people related to the link) is fraudulent, bullshit, or worthy of investigation, that is... :tongue3:
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ What he said. So why do you feel this is BS?

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Style
    Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll be happy to see some working Wing Chun, but I remain sceptical. Also, yeah, this seems more like a YMAS thread, unless you are suggesting that this site is a fraud ; )

Style
    BJJ & Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said the first time this came up, I agree with the guys' willingness to step up to the plate for wing chun, and their philosophy of proof through application and sparring hard. That being said, we already know they crosstrain and I still believe that their fights will either not look like wing chun or will be against untrained opponents.

All that being said, let's see the damn vids already!

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone cross trains, the question is: is wing chun a major component of their fight game or are they using something else and just calling it WC?

They're making all the right noises though, good luck to em I say (want videos).

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... Last