Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 7:40pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Muy Thai plus throwing would be uber cool.
    That's basically san da.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 8:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    That's basically san da.
    Kinda what I was thinking. Add groundwork and you are back to MMA, more or less, LOL !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2013 9:51am

Style: It's complicated.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Muy Thai plus throwing would be uber cool...
    You should try sanshou / sanda.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    11/23/2013 4:48am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Vale Tudo View Post
    Hello everyone! After a LONG lay off from martial arts, period, I've gotten back into a local MMA gym to mainly train Muay Thai (the martial arts I trained in solely before my lay off), Boxing and a little bit of MMA and BJJ. Growing up, I've always trained and competed in some form of striking but I did attend a Judo class in Middle School for a week before I got distracted by school and other teen related angst.

Judo has always intrigued me. I'm not sure how to explain it. Possibly because I've managed to use the O-Goshi and Osoto Gari with success in real fights (one was in high the school, the other as an adult). Both throws ended the fight.

Unfortunately, the MMA gym I attend does not have a dedicated Judo class and I want to learn the art traditionally and also compete. Luckily, I found a dojo not too far from my house and office. Along with Muay Thai and other classes in the MMA gym (I got the unlimited package so I can attend any class I want) I will also be training at this Judo dojo three times a week.

I'm very excited as I think it will compliment my Muay Thai well, as well as competing in something that's not striking. Any advice, encouragement, warnings, etc. is welcome as I start this new journey. Thanks in advance! :)
    The same advice you would give someone starting Muay Thai. Shut up, listen to your instructor, leave your ego at the door and have fun. As for Judo specific. I say learn your break falls and rolls. That's what going to let you train safely for long periods of time and let you train with the higher ranks. For offensive, find something that resonates with you and own it. If it is Osoto Gari, drill it 1000x, make it yours. Make it so the millisecond you get your grips you are throwing.
    Last edited by Plasma; 11/23/2013 9:58am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2013 11:52pm

Style: Em Tee/JewDough/BeeJayJay

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks again everyone! Got my first throw during Randori the other night! I don't know what my partner was doing or trying to do, it happened fast, but I instinctively countered with O-Goshi! :D
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12