Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 5:41am

Style: Em Tee/JewDough/BeeJayJay

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

From the Science of 8 Limbs to the Gentle Way

Hello everyone! After a LONG lay off from martial arts, period, I've gotten back into a local MMA gym to mainly train Muay Thai (the martial arts I trained in solely before my lay off), Boxing and a little bit of MMA and BJJ. Growing up, I've always trained and competed in some form of striking but I did attend a Judo class in Middle School for a week before I got distracted by school and other teen related angst.

Judo has always intrigued me. I'm not sure how to explain it. Possibly because I've managed to use the O-Goshi and Osoto Gari with success in real fights (one was in high the school, the other as an adult). Both throws ended the fight.

Unfortunately, the MMA gym I attend does not have a dedicated Judo class and I want to learn the art traditionally and also compete. Luckily, I found a dojo not too far from my house and office. Along with Muay Thai and other classes in the MMA gym (I got the unlimited package so I can attend any class I want) I will also be training at this Judo dojo three times a week.

I'm very excited as I think it will compliment my Muay Thai well, as well as competing in something that's not striking. Any advice, encouragement, warnings, etc. is welcome as I start this new journey. Thanks in advance! :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 9:00am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Focus on the basics and just take the fall. There is absolutly zero shame what so ever in being thrown and a poor fall hurts hella worse then a properly executed one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 3:52pm

Style: Em Tee/JewDough/BeeJayJay

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just got back from my first class. What a great experience!

After warm-ups, I was taken aside and pretty much got a one on one private lesson with an instructor on the basics. I learned movement, footwork, breakfalls, grip, fundamentals of Kuzushi, Tsukuri and Kake. Also some explanation on Te Waza, Koshi Waza, Ashi Waza and Sutemi Waza.

After that, I got a break and observed the class for a about fifteen minutes or so. Then they let me join and I learned a variation of an Ouchi-gari.I also got to participate in quick and light rounds of Newaza (the little BJJ I know really helped with this) and Randori.

I stayed after class and practiced my movements and breakfalls some more. I thoroughly enjoyed it, specially the scientific aspects of leverage, balance and such. Can't wait for the next class! :D

Posted On:
    11/17/2013 3:09pm

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went from MT to Judo and back to MY (I'd do them both but work got in the way) and you'll have a ball. Both are fucking beautiful and you wait until you hit MT again with judo clinch experience!
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 11:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    I went from MT to Judo and back to MY (I'd do them both but work got in the way) and you'll have a ball. Both are fucking beautiful and you wait until you hit MT again with judo clinch experience!
    How much "judo clinch experience" did it take for you to be able to effectively apply it in MT?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 12:46pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    How much "judo clinch experience" did it take for you to be able to effectively apply it in MT?
    At the time 6 months solid Judo training of twice a week (sometimes three times). Whilst UK MT rules supposedly ban hip-throws lots of clubs practice it. I found that with small changes of footwork I could apply throws and sweeps with less effort. Where Judo really helped me was my defence against throws and particularly sweeps and trips, from watching for it constantly in Judo I could jam the attempt or recover quickly enough not to go down.

If my circumstances changed I'd train them both side by side again in a heart beat.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 2:32pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the time 6 months solid Judo training of twice a week (sometimes three times). Whilst UK MT rules supposedly ban hip-throws lots of clubs practice it. I found that with small changes of footwork I could apply throws and sweeps with less effort. Where Judo really helped me was my defence against throws and particularly sweeps and trips, from watching for it constantly in Judo I could jam the attempt or recover quickly enough not to go down.

If my circumstances changed I'd train them both side by side again in a heart beat.
    I didn't know that throws/take-downs were allowed in MT to such a degree. I can see how being relatively proficient at judo would help in those situations, given that you weren't on the floor looking up from being elbowed in the head.

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 2:57pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I didn't know that throws/take-downs were allowed in MT to such a degree. I can see how being relatively proficient at judo would help in those situations, given that you weren't on the floor looking up from being elbowed in the head.
    Lol, that's why I rate the two together so much despite my fledgling stage in Judo at the time. Before I took Judo I spent a lot of time staring at the ceiling lights after getting my legs cut away and six months later it happened a fraction as much due to a change in mind set and technique.

And yeah, strictly speaking throws aren't allowed but it changes from club to club and circuit to circuit. It seems that if it looks cool and makes a crowd cheer its fair game.

Mrs Kovacs.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 4:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And yeah, strictly speaking throws aren't allowed but it changes from club to club and circuit to circuit. It seems that if it looks cool and makes a crowd cheer its fair game.
    as a sanda guy who went to train in thailand, i was thrown by a massive french guy during clinch work (a sort of koshi guruma) and the thai trainers were not pleased at all. it was clearly a foul. IIRC any sort of hip throw is illegal.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    11/18/2013 6:25pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muy Thai plus throwing would be uber cool. I mean, Muy Thai is cool enough already...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast