Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Style
    taichi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Effectiveness of Strike enhancers?

So I love weapons. Swords knives batons etc. Love them all. Any-who when I run across a site like this http://www.budk.com/Tactical-Pens---Kubotans-3558

My brain says buy me buy me buy me. But then I have heard that strike enhancers such as brass knuckles or kubotans don't work to well. People such as Marc Macyoung think they are gimmicks. http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com...eenhancers.htm

Was wondering if the consensus was that Marc is correct and they are more or less gimmicks and only work in certain situations?

Thanks.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mewtwo View Post
    So I love weapons. Swords knives batons etc. Love them all. Any-who when I run across a site like this http://www.budk.com/Tactical-Pens---Kubotans-3558

My brain says buy me buy me buy me. But then I have heard that strike enhancers such as brass knuckles or kubotans don't work to well. People such as Marc Macyoung think they are gimmicks. http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com...eenhancers.htm

Was wondering if the consensus was that Marc is correct and they are more or less gimmicks and only work in certain situations?

Thanks.
    Marc Macyoung is a clown. Don't quote him as if he's an authority on anything other than crappy haircuts and bad clothes.

That said, 'strike enhancers' are pretty stupid. First of all, they're mostly offensive weapons. Nobody walks around wearing brass knuckles in case they get jumped. I guess there are the keychain weapons that you could employee if your attacker gives you warning. And whether you intend to use a weapon offensively (illegally) or defensively, there are much better weapon choices than strike enhancers.

As far as the effectiveness of brass knuckles - they fit like **** and are likely to injure your hand. I'd much rather punch someone bare fisted. Theoretically, if you had a custom made set of brass knuckles that fit you perfectly, you could do more damage with your punches. But that's really just make believe.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Marc Macyoung is a clown. Don't quote him as if he's an authority on anything other than crappy haircuts and bad clothes.
    Sometimes a simple statement says it all. There is research (an actual scientific study of sorts) on the kubotan and as soon as I can find it, I will post it.

Style
    taichi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So basically they are gimmicks? Save for a kubotan when used as a come-along or compliance tool if one is an LEO or security?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mewtwo View Post
    So basically they are gimmicks? Save for a kubotan when used as a come-along or compliance tool if one is an LEO or security?
    Kubotans can make pretty good anal toys if your lady happens to be into that sort of thing.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the generally accepted #1 pick for a less lethal weapon? Pepper spray ?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    What's the generally accepted #1 pick for a less lethal weapon? Pepper spray ?
    Probably. I've never been pepper sprayed but I have been in CS chambers numerous times. It's not pleasant but my cop buddy (also a former Marine) tells me pepper spray is many times worse than CS. He also says he'd rather be tazed in the nutsack than pepper sprayed. I'm sure some of the LEOs here have some educated opinions on the subject.

Style
    taichi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I carry pepper spray. Would carry a taser but like 400 dollars is a bit expensive for something I probably wont need.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We use kubatons now and again, (yawara), but even though they can be good craic messing around in the the gym, not all of the techniques work on everyone just like any of that preassure point stuff, plus in the UK they're illegal to carry around. Even though you can get kubaton lighters, key rings, pens, e.t.c. if intent can be brought up in court it's dodgy in a self defense situation.

If you don't know what you're doing, and actually be damn good at that, you're going to end up clinching anyway, so then what?

Style
    taichi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess this is where I differ. I would never use these against anyone. In my mind they are just other forms of jewelry. Like a diamond ring is to women a sword or kubotan etc is to me. Now I live in South Dakota people around here might not understand when i mention Doctor Who. Or people always assume I am practicing Karate. Or people might think that the internet is a fad.

But the one thing I like about my state is that I could carry brass knuckles kubotans pepper spray expandable batons in my pockets and swords and machetes and pistols on my belt and have a shot gun over my shoulder and use a Guan Dao as a walking stick I might get funny looks but none of that is illegal to own or to carry. The only thing I need a permit for is if I want to conceal carry a pistol.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last