Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2013 12:43am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm getting a bad feeling about your coach/school. Maybe I'm off base or I'm just being paranoid, but from reading the rest of the thread seems there is a 'tough' attitude that imho has no place in mas. I had one instructor say, "I'm not training to be tough, I'm training to be powerful."

For instance I was sparring and had agreement made with Mr. Moron to have no throws, as I have injured shoulders and can't break fall. So I'm beating the guy and he double legs me. I fall on my ass and back awkwardly and was pissed. His shitty excuse was that that was all he could do. I'm like, OK, you are losing so you cheat. If we were including takedowns I would have been ready to sprawl, though actually as he went down I pulled a punching attack to his head as he was kinda slow - I never imagined that he was going to throw me - if I knew he was going to double leg me I'd have broke his fucking ear drums or neck cranked the asshole. The instructor said, well we have an aggressive style. I had a few words to him and the student about their idiotic crapola dishonest bullshit, lack of control and lack of rules and lack of safety. The point is, if you can't trust a coach to have safety paramount, **** 'em. There are plenty of places to train.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2013 1:17am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    All the injuries you sustain now will be revisited someday, to remind you of your glorious youth. Trust me on this.

Also, a martial artist should be someone who can fight anytime. But you can't fight if you're always busted up.

^^^^^^
    this

Cannot emphasize enough how true are these words. Take the first sentence to heart and remember it for later in life.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2013 3:30am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    I'm getting a bad feeling about your coach/school. Maybe I'm off base or I'm just being paranoid, but from reading the rest of the thread seems there is a 'tough' attitude that imho has no place in mas. I had one instructor say, "I'm not training to be tough, I'm training to be powerful."

For instance I was sparring and had agreement made with Mr. Moron to have no throws, as I have injured shoulders and can't break fall. So I'm beating the guy and he double legs me. I fall on my ass and back awkwardly and was pissed. His shitty excuse was that that was all he could do. I'm like, OK, you are losing so you cheat. If we were including takedowns I would have been ready to sprawl, though actually as he went down I pulled a punching attack to his head as he was kinda slow - I never imagined that he was going to throw me - if I knew he was going to double leg me I'd have broke his fucking ear drums or neck cranked the asshole. The instructor said, well we have an aggressive style. I had a few words to him and the student about their idiotic crapola dishonest bullshit, lack of control and lack of rules and lack of safety. The point is, if you can't trust a coach to have safety paramount, **** 'em. There are plenty of places to train.
    I feel really comfortable during Sanda class. We try to be super safe in that class. But catch is different. I don't know why. But I'm stopping it thanks to what you guys said. It has encouraged me to do what I feel is best for me.

I'm probably just being OCD about this whole thing, but it kind of has me bummed that before this I was in pretty much perfect condition (as perfect as I get hahaha) meaning that everything was working how it should be and nothing was damaged. And now the thought that I might have done something that damaged my neck, or will lead to my neck being damaged later on, is really bothering me. (Especially since it happened during the art that is my least favorite.)

Plus I don't know how to explain what happened to a doctor or anyone, so how would they know if anythings changed or been damaged?

(I might just be being paranoid as well)
    Last edited by Mr.HoneyBadger; 11/17/2013 3:44am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2013 3:46am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    ^^^^^^
    this

Cannot emphasize enough how true are these words. Take the first sentence to heart and remember it for later in life.

That's what's freaking me out. That I was pretty much in good condition in my life up until last thursday, and the thought that one night could have messed up my neck down the line in my life, is kind of depressing me, and pissing me off.

Hope I don't sound like I'm moping guys. This is just tough for me. I know other people have been and are going through worse things than this.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123