Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 1:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Just a minor FYI: the term "double-jointed" means absolutely nothing.
    j

extra flexible ligaments might be more accurate. Not really a good thing in combat sports, joint stability is important...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 4:50pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    This will be my standard rant on part of what you wrote.

Who the **** keeps cranking anybody's neck in FUCKING TRAINING until the have lifted their TRAININNG PARTNER off of the GODDAMN FLOOR ????

And, why didn't you tap the **** out way before then, despite your supposedly flexible neck?

Same thing for the "facelock"...it's training, and the guy (assuming a male) goes ahead and pops your jaw? If he knows anything he knows that he has the lock or whatever effectively in place, you were trapped, so why crank it?

Plus, nobody taught you to tap with your feet when your hands are tied up?

It sounds to me like you really ought to be scared shitless doing neck cranks and heel hooks, those are advanced techniques that injure pretty much without warning, as opposed to arm bars to the elbow which actually hurt a lot before injury. Plus, your training partner(s) seem to have a shall we say lack of sensitivity, control, or care, experience.

If you don't like Catch, don't do it. Or get your coach to have a talk with everyone about how far to take a technique, and when to tap.

/end rant
    We were doing a monkey in the middle kind of sparring thing, everyone had to go against everyone in the class once. (There were five people there, including me)

The grovit came on really fast, and I thought that I could get out of it. Stupid I know, but I was panicking and tapping didn't occur to me. Day later it doesn't hurt so I guess my necks o.k.

I don't know if He knew he was lifting me off the ground or what. I don't know. But I think I'm done with it. one of the guys there has this macho thing where he thinks it's really cool to be in painful holds and locks and stuff. He's huge too, so it's not like anyones going to hurt him with that ****.

I know they're dangerous, I don't know why we even do them so much. I guess because there aren't a lot of chokes in Catch. I have no idea.

No nobody taught me how to tap with my feet. They told me tap the person if you can, not the mat, or say tap or anything so they stop. Now that you said that I feel like a complete dumb ass, because my feet were totally free to tap with, and it didn't even occur to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 4:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    There's a difference between quitting because things got tough, and saying "enough - anything more will break something." The ability to endure is admirable; the ability to risk your health because you're worried that you won't be perceived as tough is not.

Here's the thing: injuries do not heal. I mean yeah, the damage repairs, the pain stops, but there is still structural imperfection lurking. This is cumulative. This is eventually life-changing.

Do you want to (as the Dog Brother motto goes) "walk as a warrior for all of our days" or be the guy who says "yeah, I used to train martial arts until someone fucked up my neck for me"?
    I definently want to continue training as long as I can, and not break my neck or anything.
    I guess I have to stop wrestling, it will be safer. Like Pat says, I can always cross train in it later when/if I feel like I'm o.k. to do it.

The catch class is right after Sanda so it's going to be awkward as hell when the wrestlers come in and ask me why I'm not staying for wrestling. But I'd rather feel awkward than crippled.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 8:08pm

Style: Boxing, JKDish something

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not that I can contribute much that others have not said, but it's your health man do what makes you feel comfortable. I would say this particularly applies if your just training for fun. I understand the fear of being seen as that guy, but you are the only one that has to live with it. **** what anyone else may or may not think.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 8:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.HoneyBadger View Post
    We were doing a monkey in the middle kind of sparring thing, everyone had to go against everyone in the class once. (There were five people there, including me)

The grovit came on really fast, and I thought that I could get out of it. Stupid I know, but I was panicking and tapping didn't occur to me. Day later it doesn't hurt so I guess my necks o.k.

I don't know if He knew he was lifting me off the ground or what. I don't know. But I think I'm done with it. one of the guys there has this macho thing where he thinks it's really cool to be in painful holds and locks and stuff. He's huge too, so it's not like anyones going to hurt him with that ****.

I know they're dangerous, I don't know why we even do them so much. I guess because there aren't a lot of chokes in Catch. I have no idea.

No nobody taught me how to tap with my feet. They told me tap the person if you can, not the mat, or say tap or anything so they stop. Now that you said that I feel like a complete dumb ass, because my feet were totally free to tap with, and it didn't even occur to me.
    Your neck is OK this time, which is good. Next time, who knows?

either way, you panicked, he it on too fast and didn't know you were lifted, didn't know to tap with your feet, mistakes all around,most avoidable by proper coaching and supervision. Which seems not to exist where you train (the Catch part at least).

Don't tap the mat ? What a load of BS ! Tapping is for safety, who cares what you tap?

Big guys who like to hurt people, and the coach just what, watches and nods approvingly?

I think it's wise of you to forgo the "Catch" part of the training.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 8:37pm

Style: bjj, sca, armored combat

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I echo the "**** what they say" sentiment. Everyone has to find their own path. Anyone who tries to belittle the path you chose, so long as you go all out in it, is not one worth bothering about.

Full disclaimer: I suffered a knee injury in Battle of the Nations-style combat about a month and a half ago (search YouTube for the video "Captain Zorikh Gets Hurt: Medeival Edition") and I am not sure when I will feel 100% about putting my armor on again or going back to BJJ again, for all I know my knee may never be the same again, but I still hope it will get better fast enough to make the USA team again next year.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 1:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your neck is OK this time, which is good. Next time, who knows?

either way, you panicked, he it on too fast and didn't know you were lifted, didn't know to tap with your feet, mistakes all around,most avoidable by proper coaching and supervision. Which seems not to exist where you train (the Catch part at least).

Don't tap the mat ? What a load of BS ! Tapping is for safety, who cares what you tap?

Big guys who like to hurt people, and the coach just what, watches and nods approvingly?

I think it's wise of you to forgo the "Catch" part of the training.

They were saying that if you can, tap the person as your first priority, so that they feel you tapping. If you can't like one of your hands is tied up, then yeah, tap the mat. But if they feel you tapping they will realize it quicker I think the point was.

He doesn't like to hurt people really, it's just that he likes the whole "Catch wrestling is a tough sport of tough men that involves pain" type of person, you know? Whereas I think I'm more into the "Lets be careful not to **** each other up, because, you know, we just do this for fun/exercise" type of mindset.

My coach was watching the time because it was a minute a round, maybe that's why he didn't do anything. Maybe he didn't see or know what was going on. I don't know.

I hope I haven't fucked up my neck for life or something now, or I'll have a bunch of neck problems later on just because of one stupid training session. Damn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 1:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captain zorikh View Post
    I echo the "**** what they say" sentiment. Everyone has to find their own path. Anyone who tries to belittle the path you chose, so long as you go all out in it, is not one worth bothering about.

Full disclaimer: I suffered a knee injury in Battle of the Nations-style combat about a month and a half ago (search YouTube for the video "Captain Zorikh Gets Hurt: Medeival Edition") and I am not sure when I will feel 100% about putting my armor on again or going back to BJJ again, for all I know my knee may never be the same again, but I still hope it will get better fast enough to make the USA team again next year.
    I hope you get better man. Hurting the knees sucks.

Yeah, I have to do what's right for me. I'm just bummed Because the guys in the wrestling class are really excited for me because I've been getting better as of late, but in the long run, is it worth the cost? I don't think so anymore.

My coach has a degree in eastern medicine, and runs an acupuncture place, so he's going to do some acupuncture on my ankle. I'll explained what happened with the grovit and ask him to check my neck to make sure nothing got stretched or pulled or torn or anything. Just basically if every thing's the same as before yesterday, but I think I'll email him about stopping wrestling, so that I can say everything I want to say.

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 2:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    j

extra flexible ligaments might be more accurate. Not really a good thing in combat sports, joint stability is important...
    Damn.

I've always wanted to meet somebody with two side-by-side knee joints in each leg, two elbows at the crook of each arm, and so on.

That would look awesome...and would likely be so horribly painful that I'd have to laugh loudly at the individual.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2013 4:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Damn.

I've always wanted to meet somebody with two side-by-side knee joints in each leg, two elbows at the crook of each arm, and so on.

That would look awesome...and would likely be so horribly painful that I'd have to laugh loudly at the individual.
    Hahaha, yeah I guess "double jointed" is just an expression for flexible or something.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast