Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Flailing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Flailing

Ok so I have been training HEMA for a while now(mostly longsword or short and shield), but occasionally I try out a new weapon. I have a flail that I mostly only use to bash **** to pieces with when I'm bored. So I have two questions, one are there any training manuals for the flail?? And two is a flail a useful weapon?? The second one I ask because it seems to me that a mace can do everything a flail can but with more control.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    If you're going to troll me the least you could do is make it less predictable and with a bit more comedic value.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you anticipate armored combat?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Do you anticipate armored combat?
    Lol no, I practice HEMA for fun. But I at least want to be both somewhat accurate about it, and with a weapon that has at least some degree of use.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Assuming that you're referring to the two-handed "peasant's flail", then yes, there certainly are treatises on its use, most notably Paulus Hector Mair's colorful masterwork which covers a number of unusual weapons. Here's a good intro via video:

If you check the uploader's Youtube page, he also has a number of other flail videos.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Assuming that you're referring to the two-handed "peasant's flail", then yes, there certainly are treatises on its use, most notably Paulus Hector Mair's colorful masterwork which covers a number of unusual weapons. Here's a good intro via video:

If you check the uploader's Youtube page, he also has a number of other flail videos.
    I was referring more to a single hand flail, probably used with a shield. Something similar to this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Medieval_War_Flail__14362.1333504619.1280.1280.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	15508

It's not exactly the one I have, but it's similar, a one hand with a spiked ball. I would really like to get one of those huge ass morning star flails, but I would imagine it's pretty dangerous to use.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I was referring more to a single hand flail, probably used with a shield. Something similar to this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Medieval_War_Flail__14362.1333504619.1280.1280.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	15508

It's not exactly the one I have, but it's similar, a one hand with a spiked ball. I would really like to get one of those huge ass morning star flails, but I would imagine it's pretty dangerous to use.
    I've never seen any treatise on the use of the single hand flail.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recently restored an ancient flail treatise. I've scanned it online so you all can enjoy it:

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I shall alert the media.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I recently restored an ancient flail treatise. I've scanned it online so you all can enjoy it:
    Well that completely revolutionizes how I've been doing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last