Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 1:14pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you people think of this?

Maybe not the worst but I guess Xing Yi principles don't translate so well to knife fighting if you plan on surviving.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 1:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killface View Post

Maybe not the worst but I guess Xing Yi principles don't translate so well to knife fighting if you plan on surviving.
    I don't know much about knife fighting, and an FMA person is in the best position to comment, but it doesnt look bad to me. Is this actually part of the Xing Yi system?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 1:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    Is this actually part of the Xing Yi system?
    They train some Xing Yi, that much I can tell. Xing Yi is supposed to work with a variety of weapons in theory, so maybe the just took some knifes and tried how they can apply the principles with them. I really don't know.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killface View Post

I don't like it. They reach their hands out in static guards and don't seem to appreciate the tactical difference between grips. Holding the hand still and out in front like that is a problem. They enter with light kicks and those light kicks aren't met with stabs to the legs. I'm not seeing any hand fencing. They don't wear eye protection and don't attack the head or neck.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 2:33pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    They recently played Above The Law (or maybe it was Hard to Kill) on late night tv and there was a scene in a grocery store where a punk comes after Steve S. with a knife held above his head like that -- he didnt have a chance. I thought it was Hollywood stuff, like a homey holding his 9mm sideways. Is the idea to draw an attack? There is such a thing as a high guard with a katana, but a sword has a more comforting reach.
    The idea is that your hands and arms are basically removed as the closest targets, so the guy's gonna have to attack to the body, but to do so he'll have to put himself in range for a pecking attack, and if he's good, he'll move his own body out of the way as the attack comes in and counter with the raised knife. Also, although it would appear that only a downward attack on the head, arms or neck is available, the attack can start high but dart down to lower targets like the lead knee.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2013 4:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's a gotta his knife on his head and I go Badabing! Fuhgedabotit.
    Pizza Pasta.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 10:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    That weird high guard stuff actually works. Its sometimes called a thunderbolt grip, but usually not done with the rhythmic wrist circles.

Anyway, some Italian knife schools spar with fencing masks and knives, they're probably alright. Don't know if these guys do or not. At any rate, I think this is the worst knife fighting system:
    Awud Mied:
    Aaaargh, Awud Mied again!
    Some bullshit that was created by the pahuyuth school (Bullshit Muay Thai/Thai arts) in Germany.
    As someone who trained some Krabi Krabong, this garbage leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 12:00pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    The idea is that your hands and arms are basically removed as the closest targets, so the guy's gonna have to attack to the body, but to do so he'll have to put himself in range for a pecking attack, and if he's good, he'll move his own body out of the way as the attack comes in and counter with the raised knife. Also, although it would appear that only a downward attack on the head, arms or neck is available, the attack can start high but dart down to lower targets like the lead knee.
    I've sparred stick with largo players that hold a similar high stance, its more challenging than it looks, and though as a corto player I'd never use it, its a valid approach. Not sure about the blade circles in the op though.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2013 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post

Italian mobster stilleto knife fighting.
    Yep ...

There was a furore on a knife fighting forum a few years back when Vito Quattrocchi got called out for plagiarising a "knife fight story" from an academic source and changing the names, locations and dates so that the story appeared to be about one of his ancestors. First he admitted it, then recanted, then he blamed his cousin for feeding him false information, then his wife supposedly got involved, then random posts started popping up from one-time posters saying "Don Vito is a respectable businessman and we support him".

There legitimately are some very old-school methods of knife/stiletto fighting in Italy, generally associated with the underworld or practiced by small groups of mostly old men in remote villages. I had one memorable lesson in Italian knife fighting in the village of Piobbicco a number of years back; the instructor's hands and forearms were covered in small stab and cut scars from training with wooden dowels with sharp nails protruding from the ends. As a style it was very deceptive and quite dance-like, though he pointed out that the training was a cultural tradition and that the "dance" aspects would not normally be seen in an actual fight.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12