Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 10:40am

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I totally get what Matt's saying. I never failed one of the tests, so it's possible that the fee is refunded for the failed test or that the retest is cheaper or free or something. I never thought it polite to ask, "Hey, you failed the test, so now what happens to your money?"

On the other hand, testing expenses were incurred either way.

Instructors were happy to tell people to wait to test rather than testing them and failing them too. I was told twice to wait three months until the next test, did so, and passed.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 4:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    "This is normal in Japan" is an argument that is used to defend all kinds of shitty practices. Giving a student a test you know he's not ready for and then charging him for it, in my opinion, is a shitty practice.

Maybe you expect that kind of thing going into it at a club like that, but I still think it's shitty.
    good luck telling japanese people how to "correctly" live in japan according to your standards.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 4:57pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    good luck telling japanese people how to "correctly" live in japan according to your standards.
    Who said anything about telling anyone, Japanese or otherwise, how to live?

What I did was give my opinion (I even used the words "in my opinion" and "I think") about a particular martial arts practice. The fact that something is done in Japan does not make it a good idea and certainly does not take away anyone's right to have an opinion about it.

Should we all shut up about telekinetic aikido ki masters because they are in Japan, too?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 5:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt View Post
    I totally get what Matt's saying. I never failed one of the tests, so it's possible that the fee is refunded for the failed test or that the retest is cheaper or free or something. I never thought it polite to ask, "Hey, you failed the test, so now what happens to your money?"

On the other hand, testing expenses were incurred either way.

Instructors were happy to tell people to wait to test rather than testing them and failing them too. I was told twice to wait three months until the next test, did so, and passed.
    It's really interesting that a club where students are told to wait to test is also a club where so many students fail the tests. I've never seen a situation like that before here in the states, in any martial art.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 6:26pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've failed a few students over the years. 2 years ago was the most comical as I walked off the panel. Nobody was ready. I told them I'd give them 3 months to fix it and be ready. That went much smoother.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 6:50pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not sure you want a system where nobody fails a grading, If there not ready on the day then there not ready. If the club coach is doing the grading and they know the student then maybe they will forgive the odd technical weakness under pressure but an external examiner doesn't have that luxuries.

It would seem like a fair practice to give students a free retake

On the Japan topic, I think its difficult to compare to other parts of the world. Take Judo they have a massive young player base so they can spend a two hour session doing Ouchi Gari uchikomi, Two hours! No games No randori If a coach in the U.K tried that how many Kids would keep coming after a couple of weeks? I am sure some Japanese Kids are bored by it but there is enough to make up for it

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 7:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who said anything about telling anyone, Japanese or otherwise, how to live?

What I did was give my opinion (I even used the words "in my opinion" and "I think") about a particular martial arts practice. The fact that something is done in Japan does not make it a good idea and certainly does not take away anyone's right to have an opinion about it.

Should we all shut up about telekinetic aikido ki masters because they are in Japan, too?
    no, what i am talking about is that people who fail are too ashamed to come back and try again.

that is cultural, and it's expected behavior, which thins out the student body, and leaves more dedicated students.

i think it's neither right nor wrong to run a dojo that way. it's not what i would do, but it's not my dojo. you seemed to think it was cruel, and i think you just don't get what the dojo culture is like over there and are being judgmental.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 8:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no, what i am talking about is that people who fail are too ashamed to come back and try again.

that is cultural, and it's expected behavior, which thins out the student body, and leaves more dedicated students.

i think it's neither right nor wrong to run a dojo that way. it's not what i would do, but it's not my dojo. you seemed to think it was cruel, and i think you just don't get what the dojo culture is like over there and are being judgmental.
    What you call "being judgmental" I call having an opinion. You seem to think that someone who has never directly experienced a culture is not allowed to have opinions about anything that goes on in that culture, and I think that's ridiculous.

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 10:13pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you call "being judgmental" I call having an opinion. You seem to think that someone who has never directly experienced a culture is not allowed to have opinions about anything that goes on in that culture, and I think that's ridiculous.
    no i'm saying you sound like a self righteous idiot

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 11:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no i'm saying you sound like a self righteous idiot
    Sorry you don't like how I sound.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast