Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 7:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    How much did he weigh? I checked her records and she appears to weigh 57kg.
    I honestly have no clue, he wasn't particularly big. She on the other hand is on the small side. But it wasn't just her the people that came around to train with her or Gerald Lefon. Don't get me wrong he wasn't going to hop out onto the international stage but he as I can best put it offered up a work out in randori. I am sure he would have been killed in actual competition.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 7:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I am sure he would have been killed in actual competition.
    Reality hurts like a bitch, doesn't it?

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 7:40pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reality hurts like a bitch, doesn't it?
    I just find the overall concept more interesting than anything else. How much things change in "competition mode" vs "learning mode". Going back to this guy, he can truly catch one of these international players and throw them for a good clean ippon in randori, yet will never ever happen in competition.

I find it really interesting you can have two people who are more or less the same fitness level, both are fairly equal in a technical sense as in their understanding of the sport and the moves and the techniques. Both can be pretty equal at the ability to execute said knowledge. But when it comes time to compete one guy has the ability to switch it all on and the other not so much. That, that to me is really interesting.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 7:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the end of a session, who was out of breath, and who looked slightly bored?

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 8:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the end of a session, who was out of breath,
    If I am recalling correctly, Both

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 10:33pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our belt tests in Seidokaikan were pretty demanding, cost about 90 bucks, and over half those tested failed. It was sad, too. At the end of the day you lined up by a number given to you in the morning. Either your number was called and you went up to the table and got a belt or it wasn't, and you continued to sit there while the guy to your left and right went up to get belts. Interestingly, I never saw a person who failed the black belt test again. I assume they were killed in testing. I'm not even joking about the first part.

I never minded. We rented out the entire basement of the bloody prefectural gymnasium (same place they hold the sumo basho) for the test, and the fee paid for the belt and the judges' time. It could easily have been built into monthly dues, but then some slow learners would have paid for a lot of belts they didn't get. Testing fees seem more fair to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 10:48pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt View Post
    Our belt tests in Seidokaikan were pretty demanding, cost about 90 bucks, and over half those tested failed. It was sad, too. At the end of the day you lined up by a number given to you in the morning. Either your number was called and you went up to the table and got a belt or it wasn't, and you continued to sit there while the guy to your left and right went up to get belts. Interestingly, I never saw a person who failed the black belt test again. I assume they were killed in testing. I'm not even joking about the first part.

I never minded. We rented out the entire basement of the bloody prefectural gymnasium (same place they hold the sumo basho) for the test, and the fee paid for the belt and the judges' time. It could easily have been built into monthly dues, but then some slow learners would have paid for a lot of belts they didn't get. Testing fees seem more fair to me.
    If half your testers are failing, then it seems to me that it's time to reevaluate how you decide who's ready to test. I've heard some instructors call failing a test a learning experience, and that's all well and good if they're not going to have to fork out more cash to test again, but it seems pretty shady to me to charge a student for the opportunity to test unless you're pretty sure the student is ready.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 11:30pm

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    If half your testers are failing, then it seems to me that it's time to reevaluate how you decide who's ready to test. I've heard some instructors call failing a test a learning experience, and that's all well and good if they're not going to have to fork out more cash to test again, but it seems pretty shady to me to charge a student for the opportunity to test unless you're pretty sure the student is ready.
    My first time round at Karate, I did my 2nd Kyu when I was 14 and it cost 90 pounds. Seems expensive now, but 24 years ago...jesus. Two other guys were pressured into it on the day and both failed. My Sensei drove a Porsche. I stopped going soon after. He probably lost 3 students that day.

Finally took Shodan 20 years later at a different club, cost 10 pounds, like all the gradings, which went back into paying for competition fees and the dojo. Sensei was a bricklayer who had also put on 8 weeks of extra, free Saturday morning training prior to the test. People who didn't pass were disappointed but didn't feel like they'd been shafted.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 11:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    he's talking about knock down karate in *japan*. this is normal. the weak are to be driven out and mocked. the strong survive.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2013 12:12am

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    he's talking about knock down karate in *japan*. this is normal. the weak are to be driven out and mocked. the strong survive.
    "This is normal in Japan" is an argument that is used to defend all kinds of shitty practices. Giving a student a test you know he's not ready for and then charging him for it, in my opinion, is a shitty practice.

Maybe you expect that kind of thing going into it at a club like that, but I still think it's shitty.
    Last edited by OwlMatt; 12/07/2013 12:26am at .
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast