Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 2:57pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's true, which is why it's important that your coach tracks your progress over months or years. My coach has seen my roll alot. He's seen me roll when I'm tired, when I'm sick or injured, he's seen me getting smashed on by the big guys, he's seen me try to keep up with the fast folks. He's seen me tap people out, and he's seen me get tapped out many many times. He's also rolled with me more times than I can count, so he's got first hand knowledge of how I move and react mixed with his observations of how my lazy ass deals with other challenges. This also goes back to the different belts for different people to a degree. You want a fighter to be able to go for 5 5minute rounds without having a heart attack. You want a competitor to be able to do multiple matches back to back. And you want the surgeon to be able to demonstrate the technical knowledge, and ability to apply it while rolling.

If you're doing an alive art, your coach should have seen you sparring, or rolling against multiple bodies (including their own).

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 3:03pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post

But keep it short. And forget about testing me on pushups. I want a test to reflect my technical knowledge and ability. Not how much bullshit I'm willing to go through to prove my mental toughness or whatever.
    I notice that this seems to be the on going view point of the Judoka. Interesting considering I don't require that of my SAMBO players, just my kung fu practitioners. It boils down to character, who do I want representing me?

When I think of my kung fu it think of honor, integrity and respect. This is not saying that people that don't do it don't have these characteristics, I just think they find it through competition.

There is something that bothers me about you guys who seem agitated (annoyed pick your synonym) by the physical fitness aspect of the test. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe later.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 3:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post

When I think of my kung fu it think of honor, integrity and respect. This is not saying that people that don't do it don't have these characteristics, I just think they find it through competition.
    I can respect that. But I have no interest in it.

How do you handle people who you clearly feel have the skills of a higher rank than they are, but who won't (for whatever reason) test? Or has that not been an issue?

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 3:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do you handle people who you clearly feel have the skills of a higher rank than they are, but who won't (for whatever reason) test? Or has that not been an issue?
    My Judo club had a white belt who kept up with international competive black belt players because he simply had no intrest in testing. So he just stayed a whitebelt. Nothing wrong with that. Its like going to a college and just auditting classes only.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 3:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    My Judo club had a white belt who kept up with international competive black belt players because he simply had no intrest in testing. So he just stayed a whitebelt. Nothing wrong with that. Its like going to a college and just auditting classes only.
    We have people who do the same. That is more an issue of our club being USJA though. I suppose our coach could give out some kind of in house rank, but it wouldn't be recognized at tournaments and what not, so there's no real point.

I think Roy Dean has awesome belt tests btw. I would have no issue doing something like that. I could be mistaken, but I think GB has a more standardized testing program as well? So there are jits organizations that do that, but ultimately, if you're ranked under a legit lineage, than your belt is generally considered legit by folks in the community.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 3:55pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Happens in SAMBO and Jiu Jitsu not in Kung-fu. I award them rank through competition if I need to, but not in Kung-fu.

Of course there's some irony here because you have to earn a "Blue" Belt in grappling in order to qualify for a Kung-fu black belt.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Judo club had a white belt who kept up with international competive black belt players because he simply had no intrest in testing.
    Please tell me more about these *international* competitors.
    Last edited by CrackFox; 12/06/2013 5:52pm at .

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 6:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Please tell me more about these *international* competitors.
    Valerie Lafon/Gotay, for one as he at the time was her husband. Honestly shes the only one I know off the top of my head its been a quite a few years since I have trained there.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 6:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Valerie Lafon/Gotay...
    How much did he weigh? I checked her records and she appears to weigh 57kg.

I've picked up a sliver at my national competition (at masters level), and any time I've been unlucky enough to meet a real internationally competitive player - one who weighs the same as me and shares my gender - they've thrown me on my arse pretty quick. Embarrassingly quick.
    Last edited by CrackFox; 12/06/2013 7:02pm at .

Posted On:
    12/06/2013 7:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    How much did he weigh? I checked her records and she appears to weigh 57kg.
    I honestly have no clue, he wasn't particularly big. She on the other hand is on the small side. But it wasn't just her the people that came around to train with her or Gerald Lefon. Don't get me wrong he wasn't going to hop out onto the international stage but he as I can best put it offered up a work out in randori. I am sure he would have been killed in actual competition.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast